Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
A friend of my son has a Savage 67 that was in a relative's closet for over 30 years. He asked me to clean it up and make sure it was functioning properly. The only issue with the gun is that the action does not unlock after firing. The slide release has to be pressed. I know this is an old and complicated design and I have not been able to find any information on the net. Anyone able to help me out?

GB1

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is this happening when dry firing or with live ammunition? If it's happening when live firing there is indeed a mechanical problem; could be dried oil interfering with a release or a weakened spring. If it is happening when dry firing perhaps it requires recoil to unlock...like a Model 12.

Try dry firing it and pushing slightly forward on the fore stock. Perhaps that will unlock it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for the response. It occurs during live fire. I first thought it had a rusty chamber, but after cleaning it and firing some more it became obvious that something was not releasing. I am thinking it is a spring issue, but I cannot find a manual with take down procedures. There is a video on YouTube, but it is lacking sufficient detail on the inner workings.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
To take down the M67 you first need to remove the buttstock. Then, and only then, can you remove the cross screw and the pin that retains the front of the trigger guard/assembly.. Both are removed to the left.

Once you remove that pay attention to the release lever since it's merely kept in place by the receiver and will fall off if tilted over.. Once you get the assembly out I think you'll be able to see what may be wrong. Hold the assembly upright and trip the hammer as you hold it back with your thumb and let it ease forward. Note that at the last bit of travel the release lever should pivot. There's a spring that operates it..

I don't have one here at the moment to give you a better description than that, unfortunately - just going by memory..

When you replace the assembly in the receiver, make sure you keep pressure on that release lever to keep it in place.. Then install the screw first, then pivot the assembly upwards to install the pin.. It must be driven in with a small punch to get the final 1/8"..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks Redneck. I was hoping you would see and post on this.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Any time, sir.. Good luck.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.