Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Where can I get this West repair kit? Sounds like the ticket.

I want one, too.

Sounds a heap easier than what I've been doing; I'm basically lazy... grin

DF

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Here is one place to get them. There are others, I'm sure. I found this in 30 seconds via Google. I use West System in much larger quantities, but occasionally buy a repair kit to keep in my mobile tool kit. When I do so, I get them at a local marine distributor.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...p;familyName=WEST+System+101+Repair+Kits

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ironically WEST epoxy is available at the West (not related) Marine store.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Having spent many years working in the adhesive industry (not epoxies), I would like to warn against taking any actions such as thinning which are not specifically recommended by the manufacturer. If you thin an adhesive, in nearly all cases you weaken it.

Adhesive manufacturers of repute such as the WEST people employ skilled chemists to develop and produce their product. They have a far better feel for what works and what does not than any end user, especially casual home hobbyists. Use a thinner which is not appropriate to the adhesive and you run the risk of making a bad situation far, far worse.

WEST and System Three are two very high end epoxy manufacturers and you can (properly) use their product with confidence.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, never thin epoxy or add anything to it not specifically recommended by the supplier.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Here is one place to get them. There are others, I'm sure. I found this in 30 seconds via Google. I use West System in much larger quantities, but occasionally buy a repair kit to keep in my mobile tool kit. When I do so, I get them at a local marine distributor.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...p;familyName=WEST+System+101+Repair+Kits

Thank you very much!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
Having spent many years working in the adhesive industry (not epoxies), I would like to warn against taking any actions such as thinning which are not specifically recommended by the manufacturer. If you thin an adhesive, in nearly all cases you weaken it.

Adhesive manufacturers of repute such as the WEST people employ skilled chemists to develop and produce their product. They have a far better feel for what works and what does not than any end user, especially casual home hobbyists. Use a thinner which is not appropriate to the adhesive and you run the risk of making a bad situation far, far worse.

WEST and System Three are two very high end epoxy manufacturers and you can (properly) use their product with confidence.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That ought to be carved in stone.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Check this out.

Here's a discount store with really good prices.

They also have Marine Tex, used by many for glass bedding.

It's the West 101 Repair Kit that we want, I think...

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...+to+Search.x=26&Click+to+Search.y=10

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks, great link!

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take note that the repair kit comes with fast hardener. For repairing hairline cracks (or most repairs, for that matter) you really want the slow or extra slow, especially in warm weather.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree on slow being better for this application and slow is ofter stronger.

What kit has slow/extra slow hardener?

Still looking.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
What is considered slow? 30 minutes, 1 hour.....?????

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
West has three hardeners,

205 is std.
206 is slow
209 is extra slow

I'm gonna call tomorrow and ask some questions.

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just use fast for everything. The slow isn't that much slower, and the fast is slow enough to allow plenty of time for glue-ups. Just today I glued up a 5x12x4"deep box with dovetailed joints with 205 West System- wetted out with one ounce of glue, mixed a fresh ounce and thickened it, applied it then clamped it up. It was still liquidous when I got around to cleaning up the squeeze-out.

The thing with any epoxy is it'll "kick over" (set up) quicker in large quantities, or in deep quantities- deep meaning, say, an ounce of it in a dixie cup will harden waaaay quicker than if that same ounce were spread out thinly on a pallet. Mix it, spread it out, and take your time getting the glue-up done right. (I'm not advocating a leisurely approach to epoxy glue-ups though. Have all your tools and clamps laid out ready to go, have done a dry clamping run ahead of mixing the glue, and don't allow any interruptions. A steady pace wins the race.)

We used the 209 "Tropical" hardener in the boat shop on really nasty hot summer afternoons, outdoors under a blazing sun. Even then, if it was normal smallish repair/glue-up, the fast stuff was ok- but you had to shake your butt and git 'er done!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
So, you're saying go with the 205 hardener that comes with the West Systems 101 kit...?

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, gnoahhh.

JG,

The best price on the West Systems 101 kit that I've found is the link I posted. That may be the way to go for your cracked stock.

Just me, I'd still drill a few holes thru the crack from inside the inletting to facilitate getting material way down in there. If you have a turkey injector or something like that to inject the material, then let it wick into the crack before compression in the padded vice.

Be sure you got some solvent or that injector will be toast. blush

You may want to get epoxy solvent when you order the kit. It will come in handy cleaning up.

Let us know how it works out.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
You're probably right DF.

I sure like the sound of letting that Shop Vac do the work though, like 120 said..... smile Also wondering if that rubber door stop wedge would give a very slight bit of relief if wedged in there?

Lot's of good ideas here. Much appreciated.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To wedge it, I'd think you'd have to drive a chisel into the crack just enough to gap it slightly. I don't think a rubber wedge will do it.

The holes would assure material getting all the way down to the bottom of the crack.

You'll have to work with it and do what seem best.

Shop vac sounds interesting, especially if it works, just haven't tried it.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have a mill hold down set, a 1/2" bolt and a coupling nut will make a fine mini jack.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (280fan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 38 invisible), 2,613 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.