Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I just came back in from shooting some 22 lr, the rifles used were a CZ 452 American and a Ruger American Rimfire. Both rifles had 3x9 scopes and I used three different hunting ammo in both of them (since they are both gopher hunting rifles I could not see any point in using match grade ammo). The CZ consistently shot better groups than the RAR. Yes, I realize these are samples of one, but the main difference is that the CZ just feels more solid. The CZ trigger, with a Yo Dave kit in it, feels better to me than the RAR with the safety shoe but overall the CZ trigger just feels better - it is hard to explain beyond that. The RAR trigger has had a spring change and is set at 1-3/4 lbs, the same weight as the CZ.

To me the CZ seems to be a better built rifle overall and I can understand why your friend is attracted to it over the RAR. The CZ feels more like an adult sized rifle whereas the RAR feels more like a child's rifle.

My advice to him would be to save a few more dollars and get what he really wants. If he chooses not to the RAR is certainly a decent option but I doubt that he will ever be as happy with it as he would be with the CZ. I believe that Whittakers will do lay-aways so that may appeal to him if money is tight.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by drover
Whittaker Guns has the CZ 452 American in stock for $369.99, They had a special run of them but it appears they are selling so if he really wants one he should act fast, I have seen used ones selling for more than that.

drover

Hoser - that little tidbit just cost me some $ grin

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by JGray
Whittaker Guns has the CZ 452 American in stock for $369.99, They had a special run of them but it appears they are selling so if he really wants one he should act fast, I have seen used ones selling for more than that.

drover

Hoser - that little tidbit just cost me some $ grin

It is money well spent.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Savages are potentially accurate, but put one next to a CZ and you'll always go Czech. Even at $150 more.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yep, just bite the bullet and come off with a measly $70 more for the CZ 452. If he doesn't get one now, he will wish he had just spent a bit more now and got what he really wanted.

Honestly, if $70 is really that big of a deal to him, he doesn't need a rifle at all. He can't afford one.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/23/16.
IC B2

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Seems strange to plop down $300 for a Ruger American that can't outshoot a Marlin 60.

I agree that the Ruger American is a nice rifle with a very nice trigger, but the accuracy reports I've seen aren't that impressive.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dla
Seems strange to plop down $300 for a Ruger American that can't outshoot a Marlin 60.

I agree that the Ruger American is a nice rifle with a very nice trigger, but the accuracy reports I've seen aren't that impressive.

that's interesting, most reviews/reports i've seen and heard have been much the opposite. i don't doubt some bad reports out there, but its been more of the exception than the norm from where i have seen. hope it is not a wide spread issue.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just came back in from shooting some 22 lr, the rifles used were a CZ 452 American and a Ruger American Rimfire. Both rifles had 3x9 scopes and I used three different hunting ammo in both of them (since they are both gopher hunting rifles I could not see any point in using match grade ammo). The CZ consistently shot better groups than the RAR. Yes, I realize these are samples of one, but the main difference is that the CZ just feels more solid. The CZ trigger, with a Yo Dave kit in it, feels better to me than the RAR with the safety shoe but overall the CZ trigger just feels better - it is hard to explain beyond that. The RAR trigger has had a spring change and is set at 1-3/4 lbs, the same weight as the CZ.

To me the CZ seems to be a better built rifle overall and I can understand why your friend is attracted to it over the RAR. The CZ feels more like an adult sized rifle whereas the RAR feels more like a child's rifle.

My advice to him would be to save a few more dollars and get what he really wants. If he chooses not to the RAR is certainly a decent option but I doubt that he will ever be as happy with it as he would be with the CZ. I believe that Whittakers will do lay-aways so that may appeal to him if money is tight.

drover

I ordered a RAR and all of a sudden whitikers came out with the 452s and I bought one because of the reputation and the enablers here pointed me at it.

Just went through scope mounting and trying a few loads, but its obvious the cz is the better gun. The RAR does a good job too, but it doesnt compare sxs. I'll say I dont care for the feel of the ruger trigger.

Save up for a cz if he can still buy one. I'm almoste
tempted to sell all my 22's except the cz and keep the RAR for farm truck duty.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was just reading Jeff Quin's review of the 22lr American. He tried a lot of different ammo and the accuracy was nothing to get excited about. I can shoot 1" 50yd groups all day with a 4X power simmons cheapo scope and CCI minimags with my Marlin 60.

I like the American, but I'm afraid it is like the 10/22 accuracy-wise.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i went and read his review, http://gunblast.com/Ruger-American22.htm and i am surprised with some of the group sizes, especially with the mini mags. i wonder if he really allowed the barrel to get seasoned with each brand prior to shooting for group sizes.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
If he was shooting those groups like he was shooting on the video, it's no wonder he didn't get great accuracy.

On the list of ammo tested, I counted six brands which gave 1" or less @ 50 yards and a couple of those really close to 1/2".

I would not call that an inaccurate gun.

Mine (the Compact version) loves CCI Standard velocity Solids. The very first day I shot a 3/8" group at 50 yards and proceeded to shoot a group at 100 that was just over an inch.

That feat is repeatable, but only when I do my part.

Late last week I spoke with the owner of the LGS where I got mine and he had another happy customer come back in and said that he too was getting ~1/2" groups at 50 yards and just over an inch at 100yards with his Compact.

I need to pick up some honest-to-God match ammo and wring it out, take pictures, and post them. grin

Don't get me wrong, if Sponxx were to leave his Maple stocked CZ 452 lying around it might disappear... whistle

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Sponxx
A friend of mine shot my CZ452 American and really liked it. Today I got a text from him and he is wanting to purchase his first gun. His budget is limited to $2-300.
I have mentioned of course the CZ 452/455. I know he will not change barrels ever, so a 452 makes more sense (though harder to get). He is also not a loony yet, so I think a trainer may be the best best as far as staying with CZ. No plans for competing or hunting, just plain plinking and fun.
I have heard really good things about the Mark II, Ruger Rimfires, Marlin... as fun as it is to spend someone else's money, maxing out at $300 doesn't give a lot of options for a new CZ. Specially if looking to get scope and rings.
Am I wrong to think a Savage MarkII will get him in the game?
O
Not wrong at all, sounds like a Mark II would be an excellent choice.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
Originally Posted by Sponxx
A friend of mine shot my CZ452 American and really liked it. Today I got a text from him and he is wanting to purchase his first gun. His budget is limited to $2-300.
I have mentioned of course the CZ 452/455. I know he will not change barrels ever, so a 452 makes more sense (though harder to get). He is also not a loony yet, so I think a trainer may be the best best as far as staying with CZ. No plans for competing or hunting, just plain plinking and fun.
I have heard really good things about the Mark II, Ruger Rimfires, Marlin... as fun as it is to spend someone else's money, maxing out at $300 doesn't give a lot of options for a new CZ. Specially if looking to get scope and rings.
Am I wrong to think a Savage MarkII will get him in the game?
O
Not wrong at all, sounds like a Mark II would be an excellent choice.

My feeling, as well. For the money, you get very good accuracy AND you can afford a scope. Sometimes a limited budget really IS limited. It is very easy to keep inching up and exceeding that 300 by a couple hundred. Really and for true, including a scope, I don't see another option.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys,

I just looked at a CZ452 Ultra Lux yesterday. Vendor does internet sales as well as a store front. On his website, the rifle was $407. In the store it was $457 although he said he would honor the internet price.

The only CZ's in the $300 range are the CZ455 Americans with the plastic stocks. And they're still at $350

Good luck in what ever choice you make.

I did buy 5 of these last year- They were $169. They've been good little rifles.

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-cz99-bolt-action-rifle,-22lr,-22-barrel,-yugo-import-by-cai,-new.-p-62934.html

I've seen good and bad postings on the web about them. All 5 of the rifles I bought are great little shooters. Especially at $169

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I suggest a cz American because it has a stock suitable for use with a scope and a barrel lenght less excessive than the trainer/lux/ulux group of guns. The trainer/lux/ultra lux all have long barrels with iron sights. The stocks have excess drop in the butt stock designed for using iron sights. 99% of rimfire shooters want a scope. That is the American, only cz option for a normal size adult. (the varmint is a heavy specialty gun)

I dont like the 455 as much, but a proper 455 is better than a mis fit 452. I would prefer a Ruger to a 455, But I am not the Op's friend. I have a 453 which is a superb firearm but those are history now.

I suggest a cz because that is what the op said his friend wants. So; he may need to show some decipine and character and work and save his money. A new concept for some these days. Or borrow to get a gun from Whitakers which are probably all sold out by now.

For the cz gun nut a 452 scope can be restocked. The 452 scout also has too much drop in the comb. And the stock is too short.

A gun stock should fit. A first gun should fit.

The cz99 are zastava and a very poor gun compared to the check cz or ruger American. Those 99's are fine for what they are and might be a good project. Most important is cheap price. There is always/always a market for cheap. That is not a bad thing either. It is just not a quality cz alternative - IMHO.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by fourbore
Or borrow to get a gun from Whitakers which are probably all sold out by now.

Whittakers is still showing them in stock on their website. I just picked mine up on Tuesday...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

566 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.