Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
A friend of mine shot my CZ452 American and really liked it. Today I got a text from him and he is wanting to purchase his first gun. His budget is limited to $2-300.
I have mentioned of course the CZ 452/455. I know he will not change barrels ever, so a 452 makes more sense (though harder to get). He is also not a loony yet, so I think a trainer may be the best best as far as staying with CZ. No plans for competing or hunting, just plain plinking and fun.
I have heard really good things about the Mark II, Ruger Rimfires, Marlin... as fun as it is to spend someone else's money, maxing out at $300 doesn't give a lot of options for a new CZ. Specially if looking to get scope and rings.
Am I wrong to think a Savage MarkII will get him in the game?

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An American.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
CZ American or RAR?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sorry. The Ruger.

I would vote CZ but finding one at that price could take a while.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yes, that's my concern...
On the bright side I got my DIP 25MOA rail and some 30mm Weaver QD meds on the mail this week.

Will put 6MQ atop my maple stocked 452 this weekend hopefully.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Pablo,

Tell him to go get a Ruger American Rimfire. A Compact model # 8306 (threaded for a suppressor), 12.5" LOP, with a fixed 8x Leupold Scope, shot into 3/8" @ 50 yards across the hood of my tractor about a month ago, using CCI Standard Velocity 40 RN. grin

I think my LGS was asking $299.00 for the rifle.

The full size is Model # 8305 and has a 13.75" length of pull, more suitable for grown ups.

Adjustable trigger, uses 10/22 magazines, fiber-optic sights, and two buttstock options, one for iron sight use and the other is slightly raised for scope use.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 04/21/16. Reason: added/modified text

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Yes, that's my concern...
On the bright side I got my DIP 25MOA rail and some 30mm Weaver QD meds on the mail this week.

Will put 6MQ atop my maple stocked 452 this weekend hopefully.

Getting ready for the "Enemy At The Gates" match? grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Ed, you're going to make me buy one of those!!!!
Re: Enemy at the gates (Stalingrad)
We shot it at 50m fixed distance, prone, no support, no slings, etc.
Doubt you need repeatable clicks and 25MOA rail for that, although it shouldn't hurt. However, we can add some variety and make a field course at different undisclaimed distances between say 12m-100m, sort of a military silhouette instead of a chick/ram/turkey/hog one

S
Sponxx Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
BTW, spoke with my friend and he would prefer a CZ, despite me saying that the RAR would still be very functional, maybe he is becoming a loonie? I guess accurate guns that look pretty will do that to you. grin wink

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Whittaker Guns has the CZ 452 American in stock for $369.99, They had a special run of them but it appears they are selling so if he really wants one he should act fast, I have seen used ones selling for more than that.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 452's are fine rifles, but the Ruger Americans are pretty good too. Whatever suits the budget and is available!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Here's another vote for the RAR Compact. I really like the rotary feed magazine and the
light weight at about 6 1/4lbs.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Ed, you're going to make me buy one of those!!!!
Re: Enemy at the gates (Stalingrad)
We shot it at 50m fixed distance, prone, no support, no slings, etc.
Doubt you need repeatable clicks and 25MOA rail for that, although it shouldn't hurt. However, we can add some variety and make a field course at different undisclaimed distances between say 12m-100m, sort of a military silhouette instead of a chick/ram/turkey/hog one

Yes, yes I am. grin Derek needs it. laugh

I was practicing the Enemy At The Gates with random distances when I shot that 3/8" group, sighting in that rifle. No knob twirling, just Kentucky windage and guesstimating holdover out to 110yds on those little IPSC scale silhouettes.
I'm almost ready!

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Earl,

Is that the rifle you used to kill the squirrel in the picture in the background? shocked laugh

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The 452's are fine rifles, but the Ruger Americans are pretty good too. Whatever suits the budget and is available!

John,

Sponxx is one of those fortunate sons who found one of the maple stocked 452's... Yes, I'm envious as it shoots as good as it looks.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe have him shoot a ruger 10/22 too since that is in his price range.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nobody mentioned any Savages....inexpensive enough that he could have enough money to buy a scope, too.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Earl,

Is that the rifle you used to kill the squirrel in the picture in the background? shocked laugh

Ed

I wish! Would be NICE if they were that size. Wouldn't it? Then even I could make head shots again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a couple of CZs myself and agree they're great, but they have a couple of ergonomic issues for me in th field. My 77/22 is much better in that regard, but you can't get one for $300 in any condition. The American has a tang safety and multiple stock options, plus the adjustable trigger. Irons available too. Can't see how you could do better for the money.

Don't need another .22, but if they ever make it in stainless, I'm getting one for sure.

Maybe I'll get one anyway.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/21/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love the Ruger RAR, especially the compact version. I also bought a Savage with the Accu Trigger and put a Leupold 4x rimfire (that cost as much as the rifle) on it just before the RAR was introduced, and that gun is no slouch, either. My wife took over the Savage and is pleased as punch, even though I'd buy her any .22 she wants.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

348 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 30 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,282
Posts18,467,767
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.