Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
The only rifle I am considering is a Christensen Arms TI Summit in 300 RUM. Set up would save almost 3 pounds. So here is my question. For those of you who have actually hunted goats did you ever wish while on the hunt that you went with a lighter weight rifle? What was the weight of the rifle you used on your goat hunt? Or should I suck it up and save the money for another

I haven' hunted goats, but I can tell you all about dropping three pounds off a rifle while hunting in the mountains. The first time I hunted elk, it was with a rifle that weighed roughly 9 lbs all up. The next time around, I toted a 6 lb setup and that was so much more pleasant. I also came to the conclusion that animals don't walk around with kevlar, so the magnums stay behind for most of my hunts.

If you really want a lightweight hammer, I'll loan you my ULA in .340 Wby. She's a real featherweight, right up until it's go-time. wink

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have hunted goat and bighorn sheep as well as dragged one rifle or another of my 9 pound rifles over a lot of mountain terrain after other game. 11 pounds is something you will likely wish you had not taken. Of course, my rifles stay in my hands unless I really need my hands for sticking to the terrain, so heavier is just not attractive. Even these get to be a drag some days early in a hunt since I am much of a desk-jockey and don't carry that weight around all day most days.

One observation on NULA if you can shoot one before you buy, I recommend you do so. Some experience, observation, and measurement has informed me that the stock profile is different than an average Tika-ruger-rem-chester. If it works for you great. If not it may not fit you. They are light, so great to carry, but a heavy caliber may be unpleasant when it goes to work.

Hope you have a great hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
Originally Posted by Pittu
Originally Posted by pointer

That said, your physical conditioning will matter more, IMO, than 3# of rifle weight.

This^^^^^^ is more important than any rifle or gear choices you make. Get in shape, if you are not already, and then worry about weight. Even if you are in great shape, a goat hunt can/will kick your ass.

Well, I aint taking an 11lb rifle in goat country even if I'm in the best shape I could possibly be in. Yeah, getting in shape is a huge part of the hunt, but it really has nothing to do with the weight of your rifle. I don't get into less shape because I have a light rifle. We aren't talking about 3lbs stuck in your backpack that you'll never notice. This is 3lbs of dead weight constantly in your hand or on your shoulder while climbing up or down hill. 3lbs is a lot in rifle weight on a goat hill.

EXACTLY!!! The live weight of a rifle means a lot more than three pounds anywhere else!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
You need to get the weight of all of that down to less than 40#.

[Linked Image]

KC

Or just shoot a 40# goat...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just think of some of those 300+lb pigs on Kodiak I've shot or seen shot. Massive chests, shoulders, and forearms. Nothing special in horn size, but huge bodies.

This is me with a buddies goat, probably the biggest body of any I've had to pack off a mountain:
[Linked Image]

By comparison, and average size goat:
[Linked Image]

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would run, not walk, up a mountain or down, from this rifle:

"The only rifle I am considering is a Christensen Arms TI Summit in 300 RUM"

But I'll buy you a beer and you can tell me all about it!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After talking to the folks at Christensen Arms at SHOT this year I would look ANYWHERE else for a proper mountain rifle... long story...

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
After talking to the folks at Christensen Arms at SHOT this year I would look ANYWHERE else for a proper mountain rifle... long story...

We gots time.....

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Red zinger evahwhere. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Same here with my Christensen Arms carbon wrapped barrel. Well no so long. The barrel is bent. The groups are terrible.

It's not like I have never fired a good group. I have a .375/.416 Rem Mag I have fire so many 3/8" groups at 100 yards with 300 grainers I was never surprised to see one with its Douglas barrel. My .223 on fired fantastic groups. In fact the worst five shot group it ever fired once I decided on a load was .494" with its factory barrel.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Red zinger evahwhere. wink

Shhhhizzzzam Gomer!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Joel,

I would definitely get a lighter rifle as well as weed through all my gear. Folks like Brad or Gerrygoat can probably give you some good tips.

I've only done one goat hunt, but they can be rough, terrain is usually more jagged and extreme than sheep country. Mine hunt was out of Seward, AK for reference. I carried my Browning A-bolt .270.

Where Mr. Goat landed.

[Linked Image]

Base camp. Shot him way up in the peaks back yonder.

[Linked Image]

Badass pics Bob.

Tanner

Just dropped back here. Thanks Tanner. Lots of badass pics on this thread. If you've shot a goat, you've earned it!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do like I did, shoot it in the face. I could have killed mine with a .22

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland
I just think of some of those 300+lb pigs on Kodiak I've shot or seen shot. Massive chests, shoulders, and forearms. Nothing special in horn size, but huge bodies.

I was blessed with one of those 300#ers last Fall...
Joel, I'd look at the Mountain ascent at 5.5 scoped with a luepy compact. Go .30 cal, .30-06 would probably be ideal. Half the weight and just as dead...wish they made a lefty.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What amazes me on those big old 300+ pounders is how heavy their bone structure is. A goat is one well put together and tough animal.

Gerry.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

I'm not going to tell you anything the others have. I am going to tell you that the Goat Hunt really is such a great experience.

My rifle is a Rem M7 AWR in 7mm SAUM (140AB at 3,000 fps). Topped with a VX3 2.5-8x36 I'm right at 7# 1 oz. empty. I've honestly thought about trying to shave another pound off but there's a balancing act. Too light and the rifle is a lot harder to get stabilized.

It's a hunt I will always treasure.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A number of years ago I used a REM TI in 30-06. It was right at 7 lbs with scope, sling and ammo.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I took a very nice goat in the Cabinet mountain wilderness in MT. in 2011. I hauled my Rem. 700 SPS in 300WSM on this 3 day hunt. I will say this, conditioning your body and getting acclimated to altitude is everything. I trained for better than four months rigorously and found that there is no air at 8000 feet plus for a 64 yr. old man. But...I did score on a good goat at approx. 265 yds. at a 65 degree uphill angle. One and done. I would do it again in a heart beat!
Now, looking back I would have taken my 260 AI Rem. 700 Mountain rifle that weighs in at approx. 8.5#, Nosler 130 gr. Accubonds or Berger 130 gr. VLD Hunting bullets. This would have been more than adequate for mountain goat.
Get into the best shape possible, actually do lots of mountain climbing that you can and shoot at various ranges for 100 yds. out to 500 yds. plus. Do not over pack and take only the necessities! Good luck and have a grand adventure. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.