Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Guys,

I'm looking for real world experience regarding rifle weight for a goat hunt. I have a BC goat hunt booked out of Smithers this sept with Copper River outfitters. This is purely a backpack style hunt. I currently am running a Gunwerks LR1000 in 7 mm LRM. This rifle is a absolute hammer BUT weighs almost 11 pounds all done up. I am seriously rethinking buying a new rifle. The only rifle I am considering is a Christensen Arms TI Summit in 300 RUM. Set up would save almost 3 pounds. So here is my question. For those of you who have actually hunted goats did you ever wish while on the hunt that you went with a lighter weight rifle? What was the weight of the rifle you used on your goat hunt? Or should I suck it up and save the money for another

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
While I have never been the hunter, I have been along on a few goat hunts, all of which were successful. Sometimes the goats are found in easy terrain, near lakes and such...sometimes they're found in stuff you'd be better off using rock climbing gear than anything else. I have no idea what type of terrain Copper River Outfitters hunts in, but have to assume it is pretty rough, especially if it is a strict backpack hunt.

I don't mind a heavy rifle, but 11 pounds is pushing it. I carried a rifle along on those goat hunts too, as a back up as well as for incidental wolf/lion sightings. It was always just a standard .270/.30-06 type rifle weighing about 8 or so pounds. I'll say right now I would be looking at a different rifle than that Gunwerks, even one lighter than the Christensen Arms you're considering.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've NEVER wanted heavier and there is no way in hell I'd hump an 11 pound rifle up a goat hill.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are hunting very close to where I live and I can assure you I would never carry an 11 lb rifle goat hunting. I have hunted them a lot and even done a bit of guiding for them too and you can almost always stalk them really close. The outfitter I worked for had lots of bow hunters and had a great success rate. Just buy something light and relatively cheap such as a Tikka or something like that and have fun. Rounds in the 260 Rem to 30-06 range will be perfect.

Gerry.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
joelbiltz,

Based on what was already posted I will go with this.

There are two rifles I can think of immediately that come in at 5 3/4 pounds without a scope. One is the Savage and the other is the six lug Weatherby Mark V. I don't remember the Savage, but the Mark V is built around the .30-06 length.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Joel,

I would definitely get a lighter rifle as well as weed through all my gear. Folks like Brad or Gerrygoat can probably give you some good tips.

I've only done one goat hunt, but they can be rough, terrain is usually more jagged and extreme than sheep country. Mine hunt was out of Seward, AK for reference. I carried my Browning A-bolt .270.

Where Mr. Goat landed.

[Linked Image]

Base camp. Shot him way up in the peaks back yonder.

[Linked Image]

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Of the 5 goats I've shot, 3 were with a 7-08 and 2 with a 358STA. The STA was certainly more impressive in the wound channel, but all goats went about the same distance regardless of rifle used. The heaviest rifle I have goat hunted with weighed around 9lbs full up. I only used it one year.

I prefer to keep my goat rifle under 7.5lbs with scope, sling, and ammo. No way would I choose to carry an 11lb rifle up a mountain. I'd use it if it was all I had, but I'd curse it non stop.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been on about 10 goat hunts in Alaska, most as a packer but a few for myself. I would not consider an 11 lb rifle on a multi day backpack hunt. If it's an up and back in a single long day from a base camp, then maybe, but I think you will end up regretting it. Pick up a cheap Tikka or something 7 ish lbs scoped up...IMO.

Eat moose, burn spruce
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
I've got a stainless steel Tikka T3 in 25-06 that would be ideal for you...less than a box through it.

If you are interested, PM me and we'll talk.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I took the rifle I had for the hunt. It is a Browning 25-06 with a Leupold 12X scope. I didn't worry about the weight, it was what I had, so I took it. It wasn't anywhere near 11 pounds though...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having helped a pard on a goat hunt, I'd want a rifle lighter than 11#s. Though something a bit different than what you are wanting. Don't think I'd like an 8# 300 RUM... IIRC, my pard was using a 300WSM in a Model 70. I'm guessing it was near 8#.

That said, your physical conditioning will matter more, IMO, than 3# of rifle weight.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pointer; 04/21/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer

That said, your physical conditioning will matter more, IMO, than 3# of rifle weight.

This^^^^^^ is more important than any rifle or gear choices you make. Get in shape, if you are not already, and then worry about weight. Even if you are in great shape, a goat hunt can/will kick your ass.

Eat moose, burn spruce
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
11 lb rifle here is a non-starter. You will hate yourself.

Tikka T3 Light
RAR

Kimber Mtn Ascent ... smile

Viable options.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't realize they even made 11lb hunting rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pittu
Originally Posted by pointer

This^^^^^^ is more important than any rifle or gear choices you make. Get in shape, if you are not already, and then worry about weight. Even if you are in great shape, a goat hunt can/will kick your ass.

Well, I aint taking an 11lb rifle in goat country even if I'm in the best shape I could possibly be in. Yeah, getting in shape is a huge part of the hunt, but it really has nothing to do with the weight of your rifle. I don't get into less shape because I have a light rifle. We aren't talking about 3lbs stuck in your backpack that you'll never notice. This is 3lbs of dead weight constantly in your hand or on your shoulder while climbing up or down hill. 3lbs is a lot in rifle weight on a goat hill.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Joel,

I would definitely get a lighter rifle as well as weed through all my gear. Folks like Brad or Gerrygoat can probably give you some good tips.

I've only done one goat hunt, but they can be rough, terrain is usually more jagged and extreme than sheep country. Mine hunt was out of Seward, AK for reference. I carried my Browning A-bolt .270.

Where Mr. Goat landed.

[Linked Image]

Base camp. Shot him way up in the peaks back yonder.

[Linked Image]

Badass pics Bob.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few pics of this area to get Mr Bitz something to think about smile Not the kind of area you want an 11 lb rifle......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is more coastal but you can see I do get off the couch once in a while wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by gerrygoat; 04/24/16.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Just buy a cheaper rifle and enjoy the hunt. I have a perfect rifle for it so I wouldn't have to but if I didn't, I would be looking for a Tikka or Kimber in 7-08 or equivalent. I've killed a lot of coyotes at 500 yards with a 7-08 and a few elk closer. Plenty of rifle, plenty of range. No need to shoot goats at 1000.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Joel, I've killed two billy goats one here in Colorado and one in BC. The terrain can be bad ass for sure and very dangerous especially if it is wet. If you are looking at a custom rifle I would give Melvin Forbes with New Ultra Light Arms a call and have him build you one. You will never look back. My personal preference is the 284 Winchester Melvin built for me which sure killed hell out of those two billies I shot but he can build you whatever you want. Light, very accurate, well balanced, great triggers. You should at least give Melvin a call.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
joelbiltz,

Here's a little test I did for a guy who was not concerned about his rifle's weight. I took off the sling and told him to hold his rifle out so I hung the sling on it. After about thirty seconds I took the sling off. His arm went up and he said, "Man! That little bit makes a difference!"

I think I mentioned earlier in this thread the six lug
Weatherby is 6 lb 14 oz. It is a .30-06 length action.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,131
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.