Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Not with standing the background issue I had a shot under similar lighting a several years ago at a deer walking past my stand. I picked an opening in the trees for line of fire and touched one off when he stepped into it. I had been reading about shooting in low light though I had never done it . When the rifle went off I was immediately blinded by the muzzle flash to a point it took me a good 30 minutes sitting there in the blind to regain my vision enough to climb down. I heard him shuffle off to my left but didn't see a reaction to the shot etc. I finally got down and by then it was getting much lighter but I never did find any blood ,hair or the deer. I saw spots for the rest of the day. So no I wouldn't shoot when it's that dark even though it's legal time.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/10/16.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bangeye
Not with standing the background issue I had a shot under similar lighting a several years ago at a deer walking past my stand. I picked an opening in the trees for line of fire and touched one off when he stepped into it. I had been reading about shooting in low light though I had never done it . When the rifle went off I was immediately blinded by the muzzle flash to a point it took me a good 30 minutes sitting there in the blind to regain my vision enough to climb down. I heard him shuffle off to my left but didn't see a reaction to the shot etc. I finally got down and by then it was getting much lighter but I never did find any blood ,hair or the deer. I saw spots for the rest of the day. So no I wouldn't shoot when it's that dark even though it's legal time.

Very good point about Muzzle Flash. This is why I would never own another handgun with a compensator. I just might have need to make a second shot in low light conditions in order to successfully defend my own person.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would not take that shot.. Too many unknowns..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Depends on if I knew what was on the other side. I would probably watch him for a few seconds to ensure there wasn't other animals hidden around him.

Many Wildlife Officers will give you a free pass, if you accidentally kill another animal via a shoot through, provided visibility of the other animal was limited by tall grass, brush, etc.

If in doubt, shoot is my motto! (just kidding).

BH63

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd flame that buck. I spent many years bowhunting, and the biggest mistake most new bowhunters make is hesitating when they should have taken the shot. I thought I'd get a better angle... blah blah blah. Too many TV shows i say. It's all about confidence and knowing your skill level. If you don't have the skill to make a shot, don't, but that's not a difficult shot.

Shoot that deer down.

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BANG!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by cv540
Wouldnt be real crazy shooting not knowing what is on the horizon behind it. NO shoot
My thoughts exactly.

+1

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would say don't shoot. No idea where the bullet may go if you hit or miss. I always check for a safe back stop.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Plenty of places I'd take that shot.

Plenty of places I wouldn't.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 2015 I was involved with a number of shot where we waited for legal hunting hours to start, and shot right on the minute.

In two cases, that does not mean there is enough light to easily find the deer or antelope.

One, we searched for an hour, and then as we were giving up and leaving, we found it right in front of us.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
No way. Identify your target and what's beyond it.

Exactly..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.