Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have carried while backpacking by using the top pouch of my pack (Osprey) to hold my G20 in a kydex holster. I am looking for a concealed approach that can move from hipbelt to pants belt. I don't mind open carry, but I frequently hike in areas that allow CC but not OC. When I OC I typically use a Serpa for the retention capabilities in rough terrain.

If you use the Safepacker (or anything else that does what I want to do) how do you like it? Is it comfortable? I have a CC fanny pack I sometimes use, especially when going on short day hikes, but it is another belt I don't really need when carrying a pack. I have looked at the Hill People kit and similar, but I don't think I would like a chest pack. I have also considered modifying a cheap belt pouch to hold the G20 with Serpa. The Safepacker is kind of spendy but worth it if it does what I want. All input is appreciated.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not really familiar with the Safepacker. A number of people on here like the Hill People Kit Bag. I use one and it works great and does double duty as not only a concealment "holster" but also a, well, a kit bag you can carry compass, knife, camera, firestarter, etc.

You can wear it alone with its harness. Or you can put a pack on over everything and it works well. Or you can remove the harness and use external connectors (lifter straps) to connect it to your packs shoulder straps.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/1/Default.aspx

Last edited by snubbie; 02/03/16.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one for one of my SIL's a while back. He only uses it as a protective case at home! I think I liked it but it really doesn't fit for what he does.
It works exactly like they demo. Too big on the belt for daily use IMHO, but great on any type of pack belt. Looks like an accessory pouch rather than a holster.
I usually use an Eagle Industries flap holster on my backpack belt and I rate the Safepacker as a better stealth carry mode that still functions like a holster.
Nice product.

S
S
I've used both the Safepacker and the HPG kit Bag. They're both good, but different uses. Since you mention you're not interested in a chest pack, I think the Safepacker should work.
One note- The Safepacker seems a little bulky, but perfect for a compact semi-auto (1911 Officer's or Glock 19, plus spare mag) in my case. I need to replace mine, my brother borrowed it for his Springfield XD on a motorcycle ride from New England to Florida. Now he won't give it back.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You will obviously be "hiding something" with a Safepacker large enough to contain a G20. It will attract attention just like a fanny pack. Especially when those you come in contact with on the trail NEVER see you touch the Safepacker.

To the contrary, Kit Bag users routinely go into and out of their chest packs for all manner or items. It is the way the enlightened carry their "first line" gear.

Also, the Safepacker mounts to a belt, which mounts to a pack, which will be 21ft away when ursus horribilis lumbers into camp.

Let me know how sleeping with the Safepacker works for you. I sleep with an HPG Kit Bag on occasion.

IC B2

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I mocked up a chest pack using a fanny pack and it seemed awkward with a pack on. I'm open to a kit bag, but it just didn't seem right. Do you wear it under your pack, so you take the pack off and the bag is still on you? People 'dock' them to the shoulder straps, which looks like it would come off with the pack, right?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You don the Kit Bag first, then the pack. The "lifter" straps simply atatch from the Kit Bag to the upper pack strap via a QR buckle. If you are using a pack that offers proper shoulder lift, then the weight of the Kit Bag is carried via the pack's waist belt. These straps are an option and some may not use or prefer them. I do.

Kifaru's version uses a simple harness that forms an X across your upper back. HPG uses a mesh panel that the straps are sewn to. I perfer the Kifaru X style and modded mine to that style.

Some are concerned by the added heat from the Kit Bag on your chest. This is lessened somewhat by adjusting it to "sag" or tilt forward, so that mostly only the bottom edge of the Kit Bag is touching your chest/abdomen.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Bluemonday
You will obviously be "hiding something" with a Safepacker large enough to contain a G20. It will attract attention just like a fanny pack. Especially when those you come in contact with on the trail NEVER see you touch the Safepacker.

To the contrary, Kit Bag users routinely go into and out of their chest packs for all manner or items. It is the way the enlightened carry their "first line" gear.

Also, the Safepacker mounts to a belt, which mounts to a pack, which will be 21ft away when ursus horribilis lumbers into camp.

Let me know how sleeping with the Safepacker works for you. I sleep with an HPG Kit Bag on occasion.

At least to me the Safepacker is not a conspicuous holster on a pack belt and would not alarm a passing hiker on a trail. I totally agree about being separated from your pack and weapon.

I've got a Kit Bag and my only problem is I always carry binos on a chest harness or in the kit bag leaving no room for a handgun.

Another Safepacker feature:
For home use, it is a great bedside holster with the way it fits between mattress and box spring leaving the handgun accessible.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I use a safepacker while hiking. I put it on my hipbelt and when the hiking part of the day is done, I transfer to my belt.

I have never had a person react to seeing it, so I guess its been good cover. Mine is one of the smaller models as I carry a scandium 3# j frame.

I have even used it in town a few times on days when I was wearing nylon shorts and tee shirt and I carry it in my hand like its a big wallet/phone case. People don't associate it with anything gun or tactical.

One of the issues I have its not really a "rapid draw" kind of holster, it takes me a few seconds to present the pistol. But a lot of things are trade offs and other wise it works.

If a person were so inclined you could easily make a shoulder strap with some parachute cord or 1/2" webbing and probably wear in on the body with a pack.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by LostArra

I've got a Kit Bag and my only problem is I always carry binos on a chest harness or in the kit bag leaving no room for a handgun.

Some use an open-top HPG canteen holder slung over their dominate shoulder with the binos under the opposite arm.

HPG is currently making their Heavy Cover Kit Bag that has 6/12 PALS on the front panel so you could add a bino pouch. Probably wouldn't work well with heavy binos but I've not tried it so I can't say.

Last edited by Bluemonday; 02/06/16.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had a Safepacker before I got a kit bag. I passed a lot of people on the trail with the Safepacker and I don't think any of them suspected I had a pistol in it. It looks like any number of gear pouches/carriers that people use.

Having said that, I like the kit bag better. I wear one even when I don 't have a pistol, it's just so handy for stuff you want to get to without taking your pack off. Snacks, binos, map/compass/gps, fishing gear, headlamp, camera, etc.

It's quicker than the Safepacker, and easy to wear around camp after you've dumped your pack.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
N
I've used one for years and never had anyone seem to notice or comment. With all of the accessories and external pockets on most packs I think someone would have to know what one is to suspect the contents. I've also used it strapped to the frame of my mountain bike and it worked well.
I had an occasion to draw from it once on account of a neighboring pitbull that charged my wife and I while walking our dog one morning. The pouch worked absolutely as designed and I don't think an external holster would have bought more than an additional second of time (the pit bull changed his mind at the last minute and veered away from us).

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the reminder that I need to order a kit bag.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smokepole

Having said that, I like the kit bag better. I wear one even when I don 't have a pistol, it's just so handy for stuff you want to get to without taking your pack off. Snacks, binos, map/compass/gps, fishing gear, headlamp, camera, etc.

Another positive for the Kit Bag, is the stuff you typically put into it, other than a pistol, is the sort of stuff that is EASILY forgotten when packing for a trip, IE, headlamp, spoon, spare AA's etc.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'm in the same camp as noKnees, I have a safepacker for a G29 & its easy to use while hiking with any kind of pack. Then when you are done take it off & carry it like a cell phone case. It also has a small carry strap on top & two plastic loops on the corners so if your really wanted to you could clip it on any standard bino harness & wear it that way. At the end of the day its easy to toss inside the tent & keep it next to your headlamp or whatever else you have close by when you sleep.

Last edited by greyghost1; 03/10/16.
K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Old thread but an update is I found a local store that carries the kit bag. Trying one on with and without the pack sealed the deal. I think it will do the job and be very handy when exploring without a pack, as well as biking, paddling, etc.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
The Heavy Recon Kit bag is the way to go. I am super impressed with how it looks/fits and functions. with the molle on front, i attached a blue force gear double mag pouch, and a maxpedition battery pouch. In the compartment pocket i carry a number of items from a lighter, spork, extra mag, small pad of paper/pen, headlamp, icebreaker beanie, and then top it all off with a 45 xdm in the designated compartment and it still feels comfortable with a full pack on. Haven't drawn back a bow with it on yet, but it doesn't look like it will be in the way. HPG makes great gear, i just ordered their umlindi pack as well. recommended to all

K1500 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Update to the thread as I have used the kit bag a bit (although not in conjunction with a pack). This thing is great for fishing, riding 4 wheelers, etc. It holds a ton of stuff and puts it all right at your fingertips. It swallows a full sized 1911 no problem, and is easy in and easy off. I have a few backpacking trips planned fairly soon where I can give it a trail shakedown, but it sure is handy for general outdoor use.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It might be great on an ATV but not so much on a UTV...seatbelt interference. Besides, I have a gear bag mounted to the overhead roll bars.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.