Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I need once-a-year ground squirrel shooter in 17 HMR.

What rifle would you buy?

Nothing fancy, just a working gun that's proven accurate.

I have a SWFA SS in 10X MIL/MIL for a scope

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It depends on your budget. My vote for an "affordable" rifle would be a CZ. If you don't want to spend that much I'd look at one of the Savage rifles with the accutrigger.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Like my ruger predator in .17HMR quite a bit for under $300

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My bull-barreled HandiRifle does the trick for me. 17gr Hornadys into 1/2" @ 100yds all day long, 20gr Hornadys into 3/4" @ 100yds.
Older Bushnell 4x12 in Weaver base and rings.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just picked up a CZ American .17HMR Sporter w/ nice walnut stock - put an old Leupold Vari-Xiii 3.5X10 AO on it and wow - man does that thing shoot! I roughly sighted in in the wind and proceeded to thin out a couple rock chuck piles. Shots around 100-125 yards were money with dead right there chucks. Even head shots were not a problem. Just about dark the wind settled down and I shot a few groups. AT 100 yds 3 shots could be covered with a quarter (still a light wind 3-5 mph). I moved my target up to 50 yards (wind all but still) to check zero from 100 yds (same) and shot a couple groups. Both groups were 3 shots, both had all 3 little holes touching. I wanted to move back to 100 and try another without the wind but it got dark on me. I do need to work the trigger over a little as it has some creep and breaks about 3.5#. I would like to get the creep out and get the trigger at around 2.5#. Amazing rifle, everything I have read about CZ and accurate rimfires has been confirmed. I am a believer and 100% recommend CZ.

I should add fit and finish is very nice. Barrel is nicely floated, action is smooth, trigger is decent with potential - this looks like a gun you would proudly pass down to your kids. Not so much with most of the Savages, Marlins, Ruger Americans etc. Worth an extra $100 for me.

Last edited by centershot; 04/20/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A heavy barreled rifle from CZ, Marlin, or Savage, whichever make/model that fits you the best.

Since it is humid here in Nebraska, I prefer stainless, so that knocks out the CZ. Between the Marlin and Savage, I like the Marlin better in the factory configuration, as the stock fits me better than the Savage, but either the Marlin or Savage will work equally well if you install them in a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
+1 for the Ruger Predator. Very accurate and an inexpensive package.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My buddy was shooting a Marlin and it was scary accurate!!

His brother was shooting a Savage, equally killer.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+2 for Ruger American Rimfire pred in 17 hmr.

Accuracy at 100 yards = 10 shots covered by a $0.25 coin

Spins a little p-dog target no problem every shot at 150.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter
My buddy was shooting a Marlin and it was scary accurate!!

His brother was shooting a Savage, equally killer.

I think that my first Savage 93R17BVSS is the first untuned factory rifle that I owned that shot sub-MOA right out of the box, but the Marlin 917s fit me better. I have 2 of the light barrel Marlins, the 917s, and like the weight, but it isn't as accurate as my heavy barrel Marlin and Savage 17HMRs. My most accurate 17HMR is a Savage 93R17f with a heavy fluted CM barrel from Green Mountain.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dave,

I have a Marlin nice rifle for what it is. There is a CZ 452 American @ Talos for $349.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I lived in a more arid environment, one without the constant threat of rust, I would probably learn how to live with the backward safety on the CZ. My CZ 452-FS in 22LR and 22MAG are both good shooters, but the stainless Marlins and Savages get more play time.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
APDDSN0864 and Original poster: I have two of the heavy barreled NEF Handi-Rifles. One is in 17 HMR and the other is in 17 Mach2.
Both of them shoot extremely well and way better than I thought they would.
I have 3x9 scopes on both of them.
The "single action" triggers on both of them also greatly impressed me - crisp and light.
I bought the 17 HMR first and planned on just leaving it behind the rear seat of my VarmintMobile but it shot so well and I became so fond of it I do not leave it "alone" like that.
And when the chance to get one of these in 17 Mach2 for cheap came along I could not pass it up.
The only drawback to the single shot break open Rifle is when you are rested over sand bags you need to lift the Rifle up off of the bags to unload/re-load and then re-position it on the bags after each shot.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by centershot
I just picked up a CZ American .17HMR Sporter w/ nice walnut stock - put an old Leupold Vari-Xiii 3.5X10 AO on it and wow - man does that thing shoot! I roughly sighted in in the wind and proceeded to thin out a couple rock chuck piles. Shots around 100-125 yards were money with dead right there chucks. Even head shots were not a problem. Just about dark the wind settled down and I shot a few groups. AT 100 yds 3 shots could be covered with a quarter (still a light wind 3-5 mph). I moved my target up to 50 yards (wind all but still) to check zero from 100 yds (same) and shot a couple groups. Both groups were 3 shots, both had all 3 little holes touching. I wanted to move back to 100 and try another without the wind but it got dark on me. I do need to work the trigger over a little as it has some creep and breaks about 3.5#. I would like to get the creep out and get the trigger at around 2.5#. Amazing rifle, everything I have read about CZ and accurate rimfires has been confirmed. I am a believer and 100% recommend CZ.

I should add fit and finish is very nice. Barrel is nicely floated, action is smooth, trigger is decent with potential - this looks like a gun you would proudly pass down to your kids. Not so much with most of the Savages, Marlins, Ruger Americans etc. Worth an extra $100 for me.

Calm day and I almost landed three little 17 grain V-Max into the same hole at 100 yards. Almost.

Cheesy 4-12x Bushnell scope.

Thinking about trying a 10x SS.

Did the pop can trigger shim trick and the trigger is ube.

Old rimfirecentral search info. I'm sure there are much better ideas now.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
American or CZ with a strong leaning to the CZ.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
RAR

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Calm day and I almost landed three little 17 grain V-Max into the same hole at 100 yards. Almost.

Cheesy 4-12x Bushnell scope.

Thinking about trying a 10x SS.

Did the pop can trigger shim trick and the trigger is ube.

Old rimfirecentral search info. I'm sure there are much better ideas now.

Took the CZ out again last night and gave 10 more rock rats the old dirt nap. This may be the ultimate chuck rifle where homes are within 1/2 mile or so. Wicked - accurate as any rifle I have ever owned and smacks with authority. Big old chucks just drop dead and don't even quiver - it must just make their insides jello.

I have been reading on RFC about trigger mods - think I'll order the Yo Dave kit and give that a try. Looks simple and has lots of good reviews.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have been reading on RFC about trigger mods - think I'll order the Yo Dave kit and give that a try. Looks simple and has lots of good reviews.

I used the Yo Dave on both my 452's (HMR and 22). Worked really well. Trigger now just under 2 lbs on the HMR with no creep. I did have try a couple of the sleeves that come with the kit to get the creep gone. I ordered the Yo-D trigger kits 8-10 years ago off RFC and assume you can still get them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took the CZ apart last night, just backed off the nut on the trigger spring a couple turns and the trigger now breaks at 3# - could not feel the creep that it had before on my work bench - will have to get it to the range and see if it is annoying enough to bother with. I doubt I would ever notice the creep in the field. I think this will soon become my favorite rifle.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Fun factor on the cheap...

Ruger American Predator from Whitakers...

and then one or two of these from Shooters Ridge available at Cabelas...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooters-Ridge-HMR-Magnum-High-Capacity-Magazine/708181.uts

have 4 of them for my Ruger 77/17 and they are great.. not made overly cheap, like other high capacity mags for the 10/22s....

If you were going to shoot it alot, I'd recommend the Ruger 77/17 in a sporter set up.. ( I have the heavy barrel, and its more than ya need).... they are accurate, but also overpriced as hell...at least in my opinion, over priced for a rimfire...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,257 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.