Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I heard about Al Biesen's passing and thought I would start a thread where we could post photos and or stories of the man who was one of the most well known and influential gunmakers of the twentieth century.

I first met Al back in the late 90's. Over the next 20 years, I visited his shop several times and purchased four or so rifles from him. He was always a perfect gentleman and patiently answered my questions about rifles and his relationship with Jack O'Connor. He was one of those guys who would drop what he was doing and give you the full tour of the basement gunshop where so many classics had been built.

I can remember the smell of the shop, a combination of walnut shavings, machine oil and wood finish. I can picture the glass cases in the entry way where he always had a rifle or two that he had finished up as well as some of his own rifles that dated back to his youth in Wisconsin.

The last time I was there, the ravages of time and dementia had taken it's toll, but he was still in the shop with Roger and Paula and he took the time to pose for a photo with me and one of the rifles he had built. That is a treasured memory of a great man that did what he did very well for a very long time. I am sure that he is already sharing a fire with Jack and Tom Burgess and they are planning a new rifle for an upcoming sheep hunt.

The following photos are of my Jack O'Connor replica that Al and Roger built for me using a pristine M70 Featherweight and an old stick of true French walnut that had been in the shop for a few decades.

I think I will get it out of the safe this weekend, take it to the range, and get it ready for a hunt this fall, just as Al would have wanted it.

Godspeed Al!

Best,

Chet

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ChetAF; 04/22/16.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I was 17 when I first saw a Biesen rifle. It was a M70 .270. What else could it have been? It was resting in the corner of a very modest home in Swan Valley Idaho.

It was owned by a game warden and was his primary hunting rifle. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. It shocked my senses about as much as the first time I got my hands on a girl's bare naked breast. Will never forget either!

Within a year I made a trip to Sinto street in Spokane. My life was changed forever. Al was very gracious with the questions asked by an 18 year old.

His work influenced all the builders of his era and that influence continues thru today. Sadly, most of today's "custom" rifles are products of assemblers rather than craftsmen. Not his. He did everything except make the action and the barrel. He made the stock, the hardware, did the metalwork, and then finished both. Then he sent them to hunters who carried them to far places.

Once a pal went on a stone sheet hunt. All four hunters were pack Biesen rifles chambered for the 270. What more can be said?

Last edited by RinB; 04/22/16.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
R.I.P Al Biesen.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That's a beautiful rifle, Chet. Thanks for sharing it, and your memories of the late Mr. Biesen (R.I.P.).

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Despite a heck of a lot of searching, I have yet to have the good fortune to own an Al Biesen rifle. One day I will.

Gorgeous rifle Chet.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Met him once in the early 70s when I shot small bore at ewsc. Muddy

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Well said, Chet. The pair of Al and Roger Biesen rifles I have will remain with me, and the last, a 300 Win Mag on a Model 70 action in a group photo with the makers and me is a treasured memento.

[Linked Image]

I'll never forget Al's musings and stories of his long relationship with Jack O'Connor. On the last such visit, he made us tea.

RIP Al, you'll not be forgotten.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
The custom gun world lost a great one with Al's passing....

I have always loved the looks of a Biesen rifle because I have always liked wood stocks and blued metal and Al was a true master of the art. That rifle of yours Chet is a beautiful piece to be treasured forever. And as Al wanted, his rifles were made to be used.....

He will be happy....

ChetAF Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GF1
Well said, Chet. The pair of Al and Roger Biesen rifles I have will remain with me, and the last, a 300 Win Mag on a Model 70 action in a group photo with the makers and me is a treasured memento.

[Linked Image]

I'll never forget Al's musings and stories of his long relationship with Jack O'Connor. On the last such visit, he made us tea.

RIP Al, you'll not be forgotten.

That is a beautiful rifle Blair. You should bring it to elk camp and we will have an all Biesen elk hunt.

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been an Al Biesen, J.O.C. fan for as long as I can remember.
Al is one of the greats and with his passing so goes an era.

Both of those guys inspired an influenced my first build.
To me they epitomize what a custom classic should be.

Her is a pic of my first custom. 270 of course with fleur-de lis checkering etc...

Good thread, thanks ChetAF

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not much to say other than RIP Al

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A true master of the craft......RIP..Al

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've had some fine craftsmen in this area, AL was a master among masters.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the true Master's. May he Rest in Honored Peace.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks for the posts...great stuff.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Is the floorplate on the rifle pictured made by Al?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RIP Al. Great man, with incredible talent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R.I.P. to a true craftsman and artist.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, take it out and HUNT it, no better memorial than that.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

715 members (160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.