-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
new releases are the lifeblood of the software industry for established products

and there is this relationship between hardware and software

hardware creates new technology and software must incorporate into the system - hence new releases and increased sales

and new software takes advantage of new hardware - hence - more hardware sales.

Maybe the best example of this was Windows XP Service Pack 3 release.

When original XP came out it was perfectly capable of running well on a low end Pentium CPU with 256mb of ram and 1.5gb of disk space but by the time users got around to loading Windows XP Service Pack 3, you weren't going to be happy with the performance of that bloated system on the basic requirements. Consequently computer hardware had increased speed and capacity to the point that it was pretty cheap to upgrade or buy a new computer.

So then laptops , phones, tablets, etc start standardizing on wireless networking so guess what, Windows Vista comes out with an easier interfact to share files between wireless sytems, print from a printer, etc

Microsoft tried to bridge that laptop, phone, tablet , Xbox - with a single OS gap with 8 and failed badly as PC users demanded an interface that allowed them to drive down to the folder level for data (not the cloud) and use a mouse.

Maybe Windows 10 will do that but if it did a great job of it, Microsoft wouldn't be giving it away. They're trying to get platform dominance here like they had back in the 1990s so that your home computer, phone, laptop, tablet, car, refridgerator, whatever are all using the same OS.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Apple or Linux is the way to go; Windows days are numbered.

Members of the MAC cult have been saying that from day one of the MAC.......

Linux has some definite advantages as an operating system but you won't find universal applications for it simply because it's not well known..

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
With 8/8.1 Windows tried to appease the social media crowd with something they would relate to. Epic fail. I didn't figure 10 would be much better, so I stick with tried and true 7. They keep trying to make me change and I just keep politely saying no. Like this criminal government, they will likely win at some point.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree and understand and I lived through these steps too. But what made me mad at MS was that everytime a PC manufacturer increased Resources and Capability MS would do their best to make the OS take up every bit of this new found capacity by increasing the resources needed to run the OS. They jumped on top of every opportunity to make it as "heavy" as possible when much of this was not even needed.

The biggest mistake in priorities though was the hardware makers increasing CPU Capacity and Speed for so many years before someone finally came up with he bright idea of increasing the Local BUS speed. BUS speed should have come first, it was like trying to rapidly shoot through open Train cars as they went by with very few of the Car Doors open. More doors should have been opened first as a priority.

Remember needing to add Buffers and Wait States to correct this issue? It was a mess. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BayouRover

Linux has some definite advantages as an operating system but you won't find universal applications for it simply because it's not well known..

I firmly believe that if A PC manufacturer started selling their machines with a lightweight, reliable, compatible, and easy to use Linux OS preinstalled they could corner the market tomorrow and force MS to change their deceptive business practices and willingness to collaborate with those who want a backdoor. It would also force MAC to lower their prices and be more competitive in price. smile

Has anyone here ever done a Port Allocation report on their machine? Far far too many backdoors in MS and it just ain't right. And yes...Port 0 is active and real despite what MS claims.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/22/16.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem is microsoft is now in control of all your personal information. Win 10 blows. It is a spy ridden pile of trash. Made to look good to keep you happy while stealing all your info.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apple or Linux is the way to go...

Amen, told Windows to KMA about 7 years ago after that cluster*uck "Vista" was foisted on the masses. What a nightmare that program was--and on new computers! Disastrous.

Went Apple Imac then and never looked back.

Who willingly uses Windows in 2016? Insane...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jnyork
Why is it "new and improved" is always more complicated and harder to use than the old system?
It's not harder, it's easier; for a brand new user. But when you're used to working with a computer and knowing where everything is, then they move everything and hide half of it, that gets REALLY frustrating. It mimics the smart phone experience which is great for people making a transition from a smartphone to a PC, but it's really a pisser for us.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It will take time, but look how far Linux has come. It's a damn good OS and the freebie software is damn good.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Problem is microsoft is now in control of all your personal information. Win 10 blows. It is a spy ridden pile of trash. Made to look good to keep you happy while stealing all your info.

Could you expand on this issue?
Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by T LEE
AH Hell, the only thing that would get you to stop complaining would be a return to MS DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.11!

Hey wait a minute, I could dig it too. smile smile smile

I have copies of each if you like, I also have a copy of the original Windowz if you would like to try that.

Trouble is I would have to find a 286 or 386 machine to run them on! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
People also complained when flintlocks were replaced with percussion firearms.

Who? Who would have complained about that.?

The ones, just like today, that are so set in their ways that they are discomfited by change..........

So you went with the WSSM and electronic firing cartridges? laugh

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yes Win 10 can and will run dual boot.
But the problem is that the license key to the install discs given out with a PC or one made from a PC is embedded on the hard drive in the boot sector.
This is the reason you are warned to never deep format the drive as your install disc will no longer work. No License key.
With the full retail versions the license key is in your dirty little mitts to be typed in on install.

True...I forgot about the key that comes with the Commercial "full version". Are you hip to Linux? I have played with Linux a few times but still have yet to find a Distro I feel comfortable with to use full time. Would you have any suggestions as to which of these "ladies" would be the very best in usability to "date" long term? smile

I suggest Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu so it has a lot of support and resources but it also has flash installed from the start.

You may know that linux can have different versions of the desktop program (what you see and interact with). I use KDE but there are other options. It all depends on what you like and what looks good to you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by gwrench
But the problem is that the license key to the install discs given out with a PC or one made from a PC is embedded on the hard drive in the boot sector.
This is the reason you are warned to never deep format the drive as your install disc will no longer work. No License key.
With the full retail versions the license key is in your dirty little mitts to be typed in on install.

True...I forgot about the key that comes with the Commercial "full version". Are you hip to Linux? I have played with Linux a few times but still have yet to find a Distro I feel comfortable with to use full time. Would you have any suggestions as to which of these "ladies" would be the very best in usability to "date" long term? smile

I suggest Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu so it has a lot of support and resources but it also has flash installed from the start.

You may know that linux can have different versions of the desktop program (what you see and interact with). I use KDE but there are other options. It all depends on what you like and what looks good to you.

http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/

Linux Mint is nice, I used it on my last laptop, I had used Ubuntu before that. The Ubuntu software manager makes it easy to find and install programs. I'm using a KDE build of PClinux right now it's a good lightweight OS for a lower end laptop.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'm not so sure that Microsoft will be able to drop support for Windows 7 anytime soon.

They failed miserably with Windows 8 trying to merge PC, Tablets and Phones into a single OS and they had to make Windows 10 just as an alternative for people to get off the horrid Windows 8.

In an effort to consolidate as many people as they could, they're giving it away . Unfortunately it sounds like its still not as intuitive as consumers want, it becomes bloated with updates , its very cloud driven as well as having some features that prevent pirating 3rd party software.

So while they'd like to drop support for Windows 7 ASAP, as of summer of last year there were still 250 million people using Windows XP.

Maybe the plan is to just wait out everyone until their computer dies or becomes useless to them and force them into an operating system

If that's the case, Microsoft should just keep updating Windows 10 with new features and hold off on a major release for 5 years. But of course there is no money in doing that.

They are in the business to make money, But money by deceptive practices is wrong in my book. They are like Automotive Engineers...always dreaming up ways to "Make it better" when it turns out to be the opposite. At some point there needs to be a "as good as it is going to get" situation and they stop this practice.

They need to let these programmers earn their money and justify their jobs in other directions. I actually enjoyed the MS Game quality when they still made games and Simulators. They should just stick to improving on a base OS like 7 and quit trying to completely change the whole industry standard each time they release a new version.

There is so much animosity that if one good full featured stable alternative OS came out they would be finished and done for in the OS market. Even PC manufactures are totally sick of this monopoly and would drop them in a heartbeat if they could.

I'd say there's many good options that are full featured and stable, but there's at least a couple of problems at work here.

One problem for PC makers is they're tied very firmly to MS, and they have to be for business reasons. MS depends on making a new OS available every few years. A forever OS would be a death wish for them.

A great many people are convinced that they MUST have a Windows OS for a computer to work. If PC makers go another direction MS will cut them off, no windows for you. With the result that PC makers will suddenly lose a bunch of potential customers and their relationship with MS is gone.

Another "problem" is that Linux is open source. There is no "Linux Corporation". The developers don't really care if people use Linux or not. They have no budget to market, advertise, convince or make comparisons so as to be more popular. 'If you want to use it, great! Download it and make a donation if you wish.' VERY different from MS!

Last edited by gwrench; 04/22/16.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I'm curious what 'universal applications' you're referring to.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You figure out how to rebuild a carburetor about the time fuel injection takes the world by storm

Fing computers anyway

I'm thinking the big drop in MSFT stock today was entirely due to Redneck voicing his displeasure

You don't want to lose us curmudgeons. Not enough nerds to keep the world spinning

Let this be a lesson to you bill gates

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sauer200
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Could you expand on this issue?
Thanks!

Everytime MS utters the word "Security" they are full of it. There is too much to explain here but do a search about "Windows TCP Port assignments".

It is self explanatory in how many backdoors there really are.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gwrench

Really appreciate the suggestions from you guys and am working right now on making the leap. What I noticed is that all the instructions are fairly tech oriented and not worded in a simpler "laymans" format.

I'm thinking this could be self defeating as to how many are willing to give Linux a shot. The steps to make this change really need to be explained in simpler terms for those less tech savvy.

I downloaded the Kubuntu version ISO to try out first. I am going to try and make notes as I screw this up in hopes to sort it all out and recap how to successfully make the change over but worded in simpler terms.

Any help with crowd sourcing and explaining these proper "Click by Click" step by step actions put into simpler terms would be greatly appreciated Guys. I really think this would help out those who would like to make this change away from MS to Linux.

I'm tech savvy and the instructions as worded still have me a bit confused as to the proper "order" of the steps that need to be taken. smile

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here's a huge Question for you Linux guys...What about "Drivers"? Do MAC Hardware Drivers work with Linux? In my particular case I am currently using dialup through a USB Modem for my Laptop. How do I cure Driver issues in Linux?

I'm not sure the Modem maker has an optional Driver for Linux but I think they do for MAC. Windows comes with a universal USB modem driver would this be found already in Linux versions? Or do I need to source a driver and get it filed before I fire up Linux?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.