Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Assuming magazine length is not an issue, how far off the lands do you normally like to start when working up a new load? .005 or closer to .05?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This may be of some help. It was written by Brian Litz, who either works very closely with Berger, or is in their employ. I've found it helpful whether using non-VLD and VLD-type bullets. YMMV

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter, pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands,jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands,jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands,jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands,jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2, separate, 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well,even at 100 yards).

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Tag

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
WiFowler,

For those of us without a tool to measure the exact seating depth, is it acceptable to use a selected bullet in a fired case that just enough neck tension to keep the bullet from falling back in the case, but not so much that it is jammed & stuck in the lands?

Then, closing the bolt on that round, withdrawing it and measuring COAL?

That's the only way I have to do it. I realize that most bullets will vary slightly due to nose damage, etc., so it's not the most precise way to go about it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
WiFowler,

For those of us without a tool to measure the exact seating depth, is it acceptable to use a selected bullet in a fired case that just enough neck tension to keep the bullet from falling back in the case, but not so much that it is jammed & stuck in the lands?

Then, closing the bolt on that round, withdrawing it and measuring COAL?

That's the only way I have to do it. I realize that most bullets will vary slightly due to nose damage, etc., so it's not the most precise way to go about it.

Ed

Perfectly acceptable way to do it and can be just as accurate. Still using the bullets ogive to get the length that way so tip damage doesnt matter.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
It'll work OK but not as well as the hornady modified cases. It's not very precise but with enough tries you can get a reasonable estimation of where the bullet touches the lands.

It's good enough though. All that really matters is that you get a reasonable approximation of the placement of the lands. You just need a place to start from, a reference point. You still have to shoot it to determine the most accurate COAL. It doesn't really matter if it's right at the lands, .005" off, or something else so long as you have a point to start from. Shooting it will determine where you want to be from there.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Ed,

I know I'm not Big Schtick and know everything known to man...

but making a dummy round, and ramming it home in the chamber and then setting the die on that and back it off an 1/8 of a turn or less seems to work just fine for my needs...

even duplicating factory loads, but doing that gives me significantly tighter groups than I can yield with most factory loads...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like to start into the lands abou.010 then you only have one way to go. Next time you have a smith chamber a gun have him run the reamer into the chunk of barrel he cuts off about 3/4 to 7/8 of the way down the shoulder and you can use it as a gauge to measure your headspace to set up your dies and you can also use it to put a loaded round into and feel when your touching the lands.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I cut a slit in the neck and put a bullet in. Then color the bullet with black sharpie. Close the action on it and it should leave a clear mark by scraping off the marker

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 31 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.