-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He fired up a little while after sunrise at the bottom of a steep bluff. I grabbed my leafy jacket and shotgun and slid down the mountain. I hit the crow and he cut me off 100 yards over a hump. I sat down under a pine in the shade and listened to him rattle and rumble for a bit. Beautiful morning and this guy was busting off a yodel at every crow, dove, and woodpecker within a half mile.
I had my decoy but I knew he was hot and this was gonna be a piece of cake so I left ole Susie in my pocket. Gonna do it "Old School" and be home by 8a... cool
I whined and clucked and he cut me off again. His big fat head popped over the hump and he came right in to 25-30 steps directly behind a couple bushes like the ones on the right side of the picture.
AND that's where he hung-up for 50 minutes, spitting, drumming and gobbling!! Dangit!!
He wore a hole in the ground, spinning like a stripper on a chrome pole but he wouldn't move more than a couple feet side to side and back and forth. No Shot!
The bush was just a little too thick and I'd only get 1/2 second glances at his head. After his fan would relax, I knew his noggin was at the other end but then he'd spin and drumm again.

When he would gobble, I'd see his neck run out but by the time I'd skooch over and draw a bead he would fizz up and turn again.

I have a bad neck from an auto accident and staring down the rib for almost an hour, my eyes were crossing and all watered up. Not a thang I could do in these wide open pines but set there on my fat duff.
10 minutes, 20 minutes now 30 minutes. This old hillbilly is hurtin' son. Everything I have is either cramped up or numb.

Finally..... After 50 LOOOONG minutes, I decide that it's time to go into "Rambo Mode"
I eased the gun down to my side and laid it on the ground. I leaned over and laid down beside the gun on my fat belly, drew my numb legs and feet up as tight as I could and ever so slowly rolled back on my heels.... So far-So good

Except now I start coughing from all the drainage in my throat thanks to the pollen. I been sick for a week. Yuck!

After a minute I get my throat cleared.... Whew, I thought this was the end of the game.

I slowly raised the gun and drew a bead on the bush and start straightening my legs to gain some elevation for a pop at Toms thinker.

Ok.... This is the part where my mind is racing....Wondering if I'm making the right decision-Ok... OK!
I know that "Patience Kills A Turkey " and this is the golden rule.... BUT I also know that I've been here before, and just as quick as old fat head shows up, he can turn and walk away OR a hen slips in and he leaves with her, walking directly behind this bush that has now shortened my life by 3 years...
I know he can leave the ground as fast as a quail and odds hare in his favor.
I know he can turn the jets on and sprint away. Darting and diving and odds are in his favor.
I know I may be making a HUGE mistake but if he gets away and I don't even get to squeeze one off... I've already had a blast, played the game and I'm a happy hillbilly today. Even if they only thing I carry home is a half a pound of ticks, it's been a fine day.

Ok - Back to Rambo Mode -

I'm straightening my legs ever so slow to see over the bush. I wait til I hear SPIT -DRUMM and I ease on up. There he is....

And he has me pegged as well...

Right now I feel like Clint Eastwood standing in the cemetery, in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly when they are about to get serious.
I know whatever happens next is gonna happen real fast!

He cranks his melon around and for a millisecond to zoom in and get a good look. I can see the look in his big-bug eye. He's trying to figure out how his sweet hen turned into 6'-2" and 235 lbs of Leafy Green Fat Guy pointing a Benelli at his neck.

BOOM! It's a whirlwind of feathers and dust. I'm about ready to do the famous Eddie Salter Owl Hoot after the kill thang AND ALL THE SUDDEN...this cat is checking out over a hump-NOOOOO

Dude done wore his Kevlar today. I just lost 3 more years of my life!

I pulled down and sent another load of heavy shot toward his waddles. Smack! He falls over and never twitches. I guess in the heat of the moment my first shot wasn't one of my best. Super tight turkey chokes and a little bit of nervous will make your cheeks draw up!

Another memory and another great day in the turkey woods.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats on a nice bird! Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Well done!

You put into words something that so many turkey hunters have been through.

Ain't NO deer hunt that can compare........none!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Terrific story!

I was riveted.

Good job!

Ive never sat when turkey hunting. To avoid numbing consequences.

I have usually most often knelt behind a tree so I can see over short brush, and the tree blocks movement, or stood behind said tree. Also blocks most movements.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Well done!

You put into words something that so many turkey hunters have been through.

Ain't NO deer hunt that can compare........none!

Blamo!

+ 100

(Although decoying waterfowl comes pretty close. When the set those wings and put feet down, its beautiful)

Last edited by WillARights; 04/23/16.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice. Congrats.

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Great story! Nice bird!

RS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congrats man!!!
I'm fairly new to this turkey hunting, but man I'm hooked.
The only thing that even compares is having a bull bugling in your face during our archery season out here.

Thanks for sharing your story!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats! Stick and stay, make'em pay!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way to go Roger!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes you gotta improvise, adapt and overcome when you're turkey hunting. Way to seal the deal!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Outstanding hunt and a great bird.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,276
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.