Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John,

So, as I already asked in my post, why don't you look on the Internet for .22 Magnum ammo? Or are you like Varmint Hunter, who insists on driving hundreds of miles around Montana looking for rimfire ammo in local stores, when he could be stocking up with a lot less money and effort by logging off the Campfire and logging onto Internet sites that sell rimfire ammo?

If you want LOTS of rimfire ammo, the Internet is where to get it, and I don't mean buying it off an auction site. I usually check about 4-5 sites every day, after answering my e-mail. It takes maybe 5 minutes, and doesn't require gasoline. I know gas is much cheaper than it was, but is still far more expensive than cruising the Net.

Excellent post.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand those guys either, unless there's some other issue involved they don't want to discuss. I try very hard to buy stuff locally and from small businesses when possible, but sometimes they can't or won't get the stuff I need. The Whatamarts around here never have any .22s when I shop, and I ain't playing the Thursday morning ammo-line game. LGSs are pretty bare as well. Would anyone go without shoes or beer(!) just because they couldn't find it locally? I save tons of money and more importantly, time by buying online. I imagine that goes double or triple for folks in someplace like Montana.

Not long ago, my UPS guy commented on how the brick-and-mortar businesses were being hit by online shopping. I told him, " Maybe, but you're pretty darn busy, aren't ya?"

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I tried a couple: a 9422 and a CZ 455. The best either would do was about 3/4 to 1 inch at 50 yards with their preferred ammunition; good enough for the larger critters the round is appropriate for, but kind of un-inspiring for group shooters. With ammo availability still kind of iffy, getting the ammo a rifle prefers is tough. I decided that handloading my Hornet to mag levels was a better idea for me. Stingers and the like are also an option for those who want a little more power than regular .22s without buying another rifle.

The mag is a good option for those who don't require the finest accuracy or don't reload, and is a great handgun load, essentially providing .22LR rifle power in a handgun.

JB has a thread on the rimfire forum about the great performance he's getting with a Ruger American .22M. Maybe things are looking up.

Hmmmm. I'm used to the 22 magnum shooting pretty damn good. My dad gave me his Chuckster that he used when he was a kid. The rifle is older than I am and iS still a shooting machine. I liked it so much that I bought a newer rifle to preserve the little chuckster for when my kids have kids...Here's how the Mossberg chuckster shoots. I guess I'm getting the same kind of accuracy. About "3/4" groups at 50 yards", maybe even a little better. Of course those are 10 shot groups though. Good enough for the vermin around here....:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My RAR isn't quite as accurate, but it shoots just fine. With the ammo it likes, it averages a little less than 3/4" with 5 shot groups at 50 yards. The thing I really like about the RAR is how well it functions and the rotary mag is the best on the market. The Hornady 30gr. v-max ammo can be found here locally most times. The store I frequent the most has it for $13.00/box. They also have the CCI's and Remington accutips if you want to pay out the azz ($18.00/box). I'm glad mine likes the slightly cheaper stuff. My buddy just bought a RAR in 22 mag, because it gives a slight edge in potency over the 17 HMR when shooting coyotes. Another buddy of mine also bought the same rifle in 22 magnum for the same reason. Both of these guys gave up on the 17HMR after wounding coyotes. They often go to coyote competitions in southern Oregon, so they know what works and what doesn't work. They no longer own the 17 for anything. However, I will be the first to admit that the 17 is generally more accurate than the 22WMR and it surpasses the 22WMR in range for the smaller critters. If I were just wanting a small vermin (sage rat, ground squirrel, tree squirrel, etc. etc.), I'd opt for the 17, if coyote hunting was on the list of priorities, I'd choose the 22WMR.
[Linked Image]

Lucky you. Lots of others haven't been as fortunate. Since I've got the Mag's performance level bracketed and overlapped, and I'm not quite so subject to the whims of the marketplace and ammo lot variations, I'll likely not venture into the .22 Mag business again.

I'm glad it's working out for you, though. It's especially nice that your Dad's old rifle does so well for you. I'm trying to acquire some good ones to pass on to my boys as well, after I give 'em a good workout, of course.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the 22 mag, but the 17 outshines it for smoking jackrabbits, which was the main use I had for the 22 mag. Ammo for the 17 is available too. I have one 22 mag left and a good ammo supply, but it's a Ruger single six convertible which I never shoot.

I'd buy a good 22 mag rifle if I crossed one that struck my fancy, nothing wrong with them, but I don't see much need for one.

LOL
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My .22 mag sees lots of use on gophers and p. dogs, just bought 400 rds. of chi the other day. Not sore now of the price but it wasn't near the price of .17 hmr/ it was $149/ brick yesterday! Plus trying to clean a .17 is the pits. I'll stick with the .22 mag.

Molon Labe
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd never part with my .22 WMR, seeing it's the first rifle of my own that I ever had (1964 Anschutz 141M). I've killed a schitload of varmits with that and some deer. The .17 HMR will never replace the .22 WMR as a deer round. (..course, the guys who think killing deer with a .223 is "stunt shooting" will scream about that....). I also have a .22 WMR barrel for my Sako Quad. Either of those rifles will make life pretty sketchy for any suitable sized varmint out to about 200 yards. I guess if we had prairie dogs and ground squirrels around here like you boys out west do I'd be more in love with the .17 HMR than I am.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Once again, if you check the Internet instead of stores, you'll often find better prices. I haven't paid as much as $120 a brick for either .17 HMR or .22 Magnum since the "shortage" started, and usually at least $10 a brick less for .17 HMR. Maybe three months ago bought two bricks of .17 HMR for $99.40 each, and the total for was around $15, so price per brick was around $107.

Now, if somebody WANTS to pay more ammo that's fine with me. But a lot of hunters wait until demand is high (say, the spring rodent season in the West), when prices always go up.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
cra1948 raises a point that is rarely considered on these boards.

There are people from all over the US and other countries on this board. The cartridges and rifles used in various parts of the world were purchased with a specific animal and terrain in mind. For example, 30-30s or 308s are more popular around here for deer than 270s, 25-06s or any magnum.

The same goes with rimfires. There are preferences in different areas.

22 Mags are more popular where I live than the 17s. I'm not sure why. Part of the puzzle is that 22 Mags had a head start. Another factor is price. A box of 22 Mag is $18 to 20 Canuckian Dinars. All 17 HMR is $22 to $24.

In my neck of the woods, literally, wind isn't much of a factor, and we don't have ground squirrels. We have foxes, coyotes and groundhogs (Marmota monax). They are found through most of Canada and the eastern US.

[Linked Image]

These groundhogs are 16 to 20 inches tall and 4 to 8 lb generally. Years ago, you would hear about groundhogs in southern Ontario weighing 20-25 lb. There were no predators except farm dogs and foxes. The foxes wouldn't take on a groundhog that was at least as large, but wider. And food is plentiful for all critters in S. Ontario. Groundhogs have attitude too. If you have ever surprised one, you'll know what I mean.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
AS JB keeps saying check the internet.

Ammo Seek shows 75 listings for 22 WMR starting at 30 cents a round.

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22-magnum

Ted
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
John,

So, as I already asked in my post, why don't you look on the Internet for .22 Magnum ammo? Or are you like Varmint Hunter, who insists on driving hundreds of miles around Montana looking for rimfire ammo in local stores, when he could be stocking up with a lot less money and effort by logging off the Campfire and logging onto Internet sites that sell rimfire ammo?

If you want LOTS of rimfire ammo, the Internet is where to get it, and I don't mean buying it off an auction site. I usually check about 4-5 sites every day, after answering my e-mail. It takes maybe 5 minutes, and doesn't require gasoline. I know gas is much cheaper than it was, but is still far more expensive than cruising the Net.

JB,

appreciate the input....actually they have been out of sight out of mind for so long I almost forgot I even owned them/....pulling them out of a closet is what motivated this some....

I'm probably sitting on 15 boxes or so of 22 Mag ammo...

but yeah, you're totally right about just doing it thru the internet.... that is where I pick up most of my bullets, buying a thousand to 2 thousand bullets at a time...

The sentimentality of the rifles is probably the biggest reason to keep them...

appropriately loaded 223 ammo has been duplicating their service pretty much since Obama has been in office...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 22 MRF and think that it is a very useful farm/ranch/truck/survival cartridge. The house that I grew up in had a Savage 24 in 22Mag over 20 gauge hanging on a peg by the back door for about 40 years, my Mother used it to shoot any critter that she caught in her orchard, regardless of whether it was a raccoon or a black bear. The Savage 24 in 22Mag over 410 is among my favorite "woods loafing" guns and I probably carry a Rossi 515 in a belt holster between 75 and 100 days per year.

I currently have 14 rifles, 5 revolvers, and 4 Savage 24 combination guns that are chambered in 22 Magnum. My favorite load for shooting animals over 10 lbs. is the nearly impossible to find Federal Game-Shok 50 grain and my favorite load for shooting smaller animals is the 30 grain VMax.

S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
At the risk of offending many, 22 mag out preforms the 17 HMR in all but trajectory and velocity, More THUD is better IMO

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Grandfather lived in a farmhouse in the middle of some of the best deer and small game hunting I've seen anywhere. He always kept a Savage 24 22 mag/410 loaded and handy for whatever type of critter came around causing trouble. I'll always have a warm spot for the 22 wmr because of that.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by SEM
At the risk of offending many, 22 mag out preforms the 17 HMR in all but trajectory and velocity, More THUD is better IMO

I picked up my first 22 Mag several months ago and love the accuracy of it ( Sako Quad) and located some $14 a box ammo it likes with me driving.

Took it along with our 17HMR's, 17 fb, 17 HH, etc. The 22 did flip a few Skippy's from 50 to ~100 yards, after that distance it was obvious that "skippy flight lesson's" were not very often with the 22 mag, but was almost always given with the 17 HMR.

I hate to switch the gun over to the better-for-my -use caliber , but with my larger quantity of 17hmr, less expensive ammo currently, and better fun factor, less elevation issues, a little better accuracy, I may switch over now to save the 22 mag ammo I have if in the future I change back, which is the beauty of the Sako Quad, besides the 10 ounce triggers.

Allen

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience, shooters who believe the .22 Magnum is more "explosive" on small varmints than the .17 HMR have often only used hollow-point HMR ammo, not plastic-tipped.

While lighter plastic-tip bullets in the .22 Magnum are more effective on small varmints than typical hollow-points, velocities in the low 2000's with 30-33 grain bullets do not splatter like 2550-2850 fps with 17-grain bullets. The difference is very similar to the .22 Hornet versus the .25-20, which the Hornet won long ago, due not just to more splatter but longer range with less wind-drift.

Once varmints get much larger than prairie dogs the .22 Magnum starts to show its stuff, but there are good .17 HMR loads for 10-pound varmints. As always, it's the bullet that does the job, not the cartridge.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
In my situation, we don't have much varmint shooting. Yes there are crows and occasionally a few egrets and then small game so....

my 22 Mag fills my needs. When the varmints get bigger (?) or at longer range I switch to my 6mm Rem.

If I had much varmint shooting to do I'd probably get a 204 or MORE probably a 223 but there isn't enuff to justify 'another' rifle or its expense.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
22 mag ammo can be ordered on the net almost every day that I"ve looked....

I know a place in AK, that has it on the shelf too almost every time my friend stops by....

+1 ... 22MAG is out there, you just need to look

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I very nearly bought a very nice Anschutz .22 Mag from Cabela's last year - it was priced on the high end but a nice rig. I passed on it twice then the third time back I was ready to buy - someone else grabbed it........couple months later Sportsman's had a nice a CZ 455 .17HMR - I just could not resist. No regrets and no desire to find a .22 Mag barrel for it. The CZ is a chuck killin machine. Anything under 150 yds is in for trouble. Here is a pic that I have over in the Rimfire forum of a big old chuck that I shot last weekend. Range just over 100 yards in a 10 mph (easily) wind - held just off his head into the wind. One shot, he just plopped straight down, his tail twirled a couple times and that was it. Very similar results with the 40 or so that I have shot in the last couple weeks since picking it up. I think I would have been happy with the .22 Mag also......it would have killed him just as dead, I would have held a bit more into the wind - not a big deal. I think both are great for shorter range shooting where noise is an issue. Find one in a rifle you like and shoot away.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by centershot; 04/26/16.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
As Miles mentioned above I run the blue dot .223 loads popularized by Calhoun Bullets. 10gr over a 40gr bullet gives about 2600fps and is great inside of 200 yards.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does that load in the .223 still sound like a centerfire or is it milder? A lot of the places I hunt have houses around and shooting a rimfire is not a problem, but shooting a centerfire gets unwanted attention.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (10Glocks, 44mc, AlleghenyMountain, 7x57Hunter, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 15 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.