-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad's killed more with his 17HMR than anything else. Probably 20 or so. Just put it behind their ear. I shot one in the forehead one day with the vmax and it didn't work so well, but behind the ear does. I've killed more with my 223, shooting 60gr vmax bullets. From the middle of the body forward they done seem to go far.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
During college, I was a licensed hog trapper for the state of FL that I would do during free times and off season, Deer hunting. I was able to trap or shoot on selected properties but none of the hogs could be transported live, so I ended up hunting them most of the time. I used lots of different guns but a light weight 22-250 with good ole, cheap (then) green & yellow box Remington 55 grain Soft Points accounted for the large portion of hogs I took for a few years. The hogs ranged in all sizes and never did I feel under gunned. I finally got an AR and shot various bullets but a .223 loaded with Barnes TSXs, regardless of weight, worked extremely well. This is what I still mainly use today.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

But that sling.......

You have to think WWJCD?

( What Would Jim Corbett Do....) grin

I'm thinking plain 1 inch basket weave carrying strap...but thats just me....

And Jim.... whistle

No doubt about that. That'd be a much better picture if I'd thought to take the strap off. I need to remember to start doing that.

I have a 1" Montana on my other Featherweight, but that old rubber V-Grip keeps things in place when I'm climbing around in, on, and through stuff. I expect one of those Trader Keith canvas and leather straps would be much more to JC's liking...if indeed he would have had anything on it at all (which I expect he wouldn't).

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
My dad's killed more with his 17HMR than anything else. Probably 20 or so. Just put it behind their ear. I shot one in the forehead one day with the vmax and it didn't work so well, but behind the ear does. I've killed more with my 223, shooting 60gr vmax bullets. From the middle of the body forward they done seem to go far.

Bet he's using FMJ's.

.17 HMR is a good hog round with the right bullet.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Course....look what I'm shooting...

[Linked Image]

Tough to make a 'taste' call when you're half Irish......

Musta "flamed" its way right out of the "closet"... blush

DF

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That was mean.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
But funny. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Course....look what I'm shooting...

[Linked Image]

Tough to make a 'taste' call when you're half Irish......

Is that the Leupold NER model?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
NER model?

Apparently not, Im not familiar with it.

Its a basic VX-I 3x9 duplex....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
But funny. grin

Jealousy is a sick passion.

Don't try to hide it.....

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
But funny. grin

Jealousy is a sick passion.

Don't try to hide it.....
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
No Eye Relief

grin

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

why do folks think you should shoot behind the ear? If ear shooting I shoot the ear canal, it leads directly to the brain pan....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rost495

why do folks think you should shoot behind the ear? If ear shooting I shoot the ear canal, it leads directly to the brain pan....

laugh

Good plan.

Could get a bit technical if they running... shocked

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
even if running, still hit the ear canal.

How much you have to lead.... well who knows....

Swing through and keep pulling the 5.56 trigger until the pig falls.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

laugh

Good plan...

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not just Dirtfarmer - all y'all....

8 pages, 75 posts and I didn't see 1, SKS 7.62X39 mentioned.

What would be wrong/bad with one of those?

There are huntable feral hogs in Ark. but none close to where I live--'that I know about'. What would the advantage/s be of using other rounds. I haven't priced SKS ammo lately but that 'might' be a consideration.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If you guys don't have hogs yet, just wait...

Sorta like Fire Ants, they moving your way...

I guess just about any decent rifle will kill a hog.

I had a Ruskie SKS but sold it. It didn't do much for me, wasn't all that accurate. Even had a folding pig sticker you could use in a last ditch charge or close quarters encounter... grin

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My father was a very successful hog breeder/farmer with such credits as winning the National Barrow Show with his pen of three meat hogs. He had an annual customer, a dentist/rancher who came every year to buy breeding stock. In the seventies, While visiting Dad, Doc came by, bought several weaning pigs @ $500 a pop, took them to the ranch and turned them loose. Doc's hands trapped and sold the offspring. Trouble was two fold. They never caught them all and they did not all stay where they were supposed to live. The woods are still full of those blood lines.

I have not killed a lot of hogs. I consider the mature boars not fit to eat, YMMV. I have killed more with a .338-06 in south Texas while helping a friend thin his troubles, than with anything else, but that is way more gun than is needed. One of my SIL's country got over run with pigs. They hired a guy with a helicopter and a .223. His system is successful.

Today my pig arsenal is three .223s, a single shot, a semi auto, and a light varmint bolt gun. I do not feel under gunned.

best,

jack

Last edited by jt402; 04/24/16.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DF -

Yes there are hogs in a lot of places in Ark that I've heard about but I don't know of huntable numbers 'close' to me.

A 'hypothetical' situation.

IF a fellow had an SKS and ammo squirreled away for that STHUS (shut the heck up & shoot) day we hope never comes. But as with insurance he wants to be covered IF/WHEN it would be needed.

It seems to me that an SKS would be a great 'beater' in hog territory. IMO an SKS isn't a serious GROUP shooter but it seems to do a good job of hitting targets it was designed to hit.

In today's market what's SKS ammo bringing?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.