Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have a dodge 2500 that i have started towing with quite often starting a new business. I have two sets of rims for it and one set wears goodyear MTR's and the other wears michelan LTX tires. I find way to much gap in the to tires as far as what they can handle.

The MTR's I bought and the truck wears them during hunting season. But at $1500 a set, they are to expensive to burn up running the highway. Otherwise I love them.

The michelan tires are great on the highway. Ride real nice and are very quiet. But almost every time im towing I find myself in a field hooking up to a trailer or something to that effect, and every time im in 4 wheel drive and praying I dont get stuck watching those highway treads spin.....

So Im looking for people with real world experience running semi aggressive AT tires. I dont want a mud tire or a very aggressive tire. Just something on the edge that handles good. The MTR's are way more then i need all the time.

Any experience good or bad would be appreciated.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
From what you describe, I think you'll end up with a set of BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2. The only other truck tire that can match them in owner reviews on Tire Rack is the Michelin LTX MS2, which you already have and I use as well. If I wanted a more aggressive tire without going all the way to a dedicated mud tire, the T/A KO2 would be my choice. FYI, BF Goodrich tires are owned and made by Michelin.

Click Here

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd try a set of Cooper AT3. They're made in the U.S. and generally get very positive reviews.

I have Cooper ST Maxx on my 2500HD. They're probably more aggressive than you want.

Another to consider is Hankook ATM RF10. I ran a set for 4 years. They handled my fifth wheel and boat well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put on Toyo AT 2's

Had the BFG's but they were giving me problems when they wore down a bit in standing water. They began to plane on me.

I've since heard this from a number of others. 70mph with 16,000 pounds of truck and trailer while hydroplaning was a deal breaker for me.

The Toyo's are new to me on this dodge 2500, but with 10,000 miles they still look brand new....... so far.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I put on Toyo AT 2's

Had the BFG's but they were giving me problems when they wore down a bit in standing water. They began to plane on me.

I've since heard this from a number of others. 70mph with 16,000 pounds of truck and trailer while hydroplaning was a deal breaker for me.

The Toyo's are new to me on this dodge 2500, but with 10,000 miles they still look brand new....... so far.

This. I have been running Toyo's for years and recently put a set of AT2's on my Tundra.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like no matter what tire i go with there will be draw backs. I doubt that one of these tires listed will ahve th same life as what I am running now. But such is life.

I have always liked liked the BF tread design but have never ran them and heard to many people say they were a softer tire and wore out fast.

THe Hankook ATM RF10 was one i was looking at and it seems ot get decent reviews out on the net. But I know no one who runs it. It was the one i was leaning towards for the last couple days.

I really have always like toyo tires and have ran the M55 a lot up until 10 years ago. It always treated me good just didn't like the price that much. Might be time to look back at them and see what i can do.

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just bought a set of the Hankook Dynapro ATM in 285/70-17 10 ply, but probably won't install them for a few months. Got them on sale from Discount Tire Direct for $620 shipped for a set of 4. They look better in person than in the pics so I'm optimistic they will perform well. At the price I decided to give them a shot.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I put on Toyo AT 2's

This. I have been running Toyo's for years and recently put a set of AT2's on my Tundra.

Yep. I am a Tire dealer and Toyos are what I run on my own stuff.

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I just bought a set of the Hankook Dynapro ATM in 285/70-17 10 ply, but probably won't install them for a few months. Got them on sale from Discount Tire Direct for $620 shipped for a set of 4. They look better in person than in the pics so I'm optimistic they will perform well. At the price I decided to give them a shot.

Just put a set of these in 256/75/16 on my Tahoe and REALLY like them. My bud had em on his truck and got 60k. He told me they do everything the BFG did for a bit more than half the price with a better ride. He was all BFG KO before these.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Test Drove a Toyota 4runner the other night and it had BFgoodrich Rugged trails, quietest tires I have experienced even moreso then Michelin Ltx MS/2s which I have on my truck.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Toyo Open Country AT
Hankook Dynapro ATM
Firestone Transforce AT
Michelin XPS Traction

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put the hankooks on my land cruiser last fall. It is more of the family vehicle than an off roader, but we live pretty rural. So the tires see lots of hwy miles plus snow and mud. I've been very happy with them and the road noise at hwy speeds is minimal.

The ranch has a Jeep Wrangler with them too and I've driven it some in snow and mud and they are nice to on that vehicle.

I'm getting ready to put them on my f250.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Toyo M55

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.