Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Can anyone recommend a good copper fouling remover that lets you know when your barrel is free of copper. I have been using Barnes CR 10 but want to get away from the ammonia, in the winter it makes it tough to clean my guns because I need to keep my garage door open to keep from inhaling the amonia and it can get cold even in the day time. I tried Hopppes elite and MP Pro but they are gummy and sticky and leave residue in the chamber and the patches never came out clean even after repeating the process several times. At least the Barnes let you know when the barrel was copper free when the patches showed no blue color.

BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Have you tried Wipeout?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have been using Wipeout Patch-Out with great results. I use patches only, let first application in barrel for about 2 hours. Patch it out and apply again, letting it set overnight. No chemical smell, safe for barrel steel, and You wouldn't believe the blue patches from a barrel that You think is clean.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bricklayer
I have been using Wipeout Patch-Out with great results. I use patches only, let first application in barrel for about 2 hours. Patch it out and apply again, letting it set overnight. No chemical smell, safe for barrel steel, and You wouldn't believe the blue patches from a barrel that You think is clean.

^^ This ^^. It works just as stated.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to clean my barrels but stopped cleaning the hunting rifles.

Of late I have been making sure each rifle hits right on with the first shot from it's cold barrel.

They seem to do well when I shoot them with fouled bores.

Today the Kimber 7mm WSM put two 110 gr TTSX's right on at 200 yds.

And the 300 Win mag put two 155 gr VLD's right on at 200 yds into 1.5".

[Linked Image]

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use two things to remove copper depending upon how quickly I want to remove it. If I have all night I use wipe out foam and let it sit over night. If I need it done quickly the I use KG-12, it works better than any ammonia based cleaner I've seen.

Neither will really tell you if the bore is free of copper. I've found the best way to tell is a flashlight shined in the muzzle end.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Do you shoot enough to need to clean them?

Yesterday I mounted and sighted in four scopes on one hunting rifle, then I did some practice/plinking at 300 yards on paper and a gong with each scope. About eighty rounds were fired.

I like to shoot ten shots at 300 yards to see what I've really got.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Holland's Witches Brew.

A lot faster than CR-10 and pleasant smelling.

Wont turn jags black either.

A Hawkeye borescope is the only real way to tell if all the copper is gone, but copper fouling wont hurt unless it accumulates or the gun isnt shooting well.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wipeout with their Accelerator
I also use Holland's Witches Brew

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One independent test found the Wipe-Out Accelerator could cause light pitting. Plain Wipe-Out didn't.

I use Wipe-Out (either foam or Patch-Out) or Montana X-Treme. The X-Treme products are the most effective cleaners I've found that you can leave in the bore, based on what my bore-scope shows, but they ain't exactly vapor-free....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just spit on my patches...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I spent a hour on Wipe-out's site. They've got lots to read. I've been using MP-7 and MP-7 Cooper Remover. It's far from effortless.

I too use a bore scope. It's a double edged sword...

I'm going to give Wipe-Out a try.

Thanks for he heads up JB re: the Accelerator.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've found a bore-scope most useful for testing cleaning products.

There are a few other good uses, such as making sure the bore is REALLY clean when in stalling Dyna-Tek Bore Coat, or using fire-lapping to smooth a worn throat.

But as far as being able to tell whether an individual bore will shoot more accurately, or even foul more than another--nope!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Prior to MP-7, I used Boretech. Before that I used Butch's and before that Shooters Choice Cooper Remover. I still use regular Shooter Choice mixed 50/50 with Kroil. Like everybody else, I already have a lifetime supply of cleaning products and gun oils. In fact, the only one I remember discarding is Sweets, fearing it would mistakenly get mixed with Shooters.

While I refuse to buy anymore gun oil, my belief that science will deliver a better way to clean a bore perseveres.

JB, which of the 14 products bearing the Montana X-Treme name would you pit against Wip-out?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Used to use Wipeout foam, but have switched to KG for all my cleaning. Much faster and less mess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, much like JB I've been using Wipe Out or Patch Out (usually with Accelerator) or Montana Extreme Copper Killer when in a hurry.
Hadn't heard of the Accelerator causing pitting, now I will stop using it.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One independent test found the Wipe-Out Accelerator could cause light pitting. Plain Wipe-Out didn't.

I use Wipe-Out (either foam or Patch-Out) or Montana X-Treme. The X-Treme products are the most effective cleaners I've found that you can leave in the bore, based on what my bore-scope shows, but they ain't exactly vapor-free....

Mr B,

Hoping this finds you and Eileen in fine fettle.

I will make a grand assumption, leap of faith, and so on, that the "independent test" was performed by a reliable source, seeing as how you are mentioning it here on the 'fire.

Did this pitting occur with periodic use over time or just a one time application?

If it's easier than answering a myriad of questions, a link would be helpful as I believe I have some of that stuff in my cleaning arsenal and don't want to cause undue harm to the equipment.

Thanks in advance,

Geno

PS, spring is here and with it fresh greens. I hope you get to enjoy some.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John,
You could not be a tad more specific on the testing for Wipe-Out Accelerator without causing anyone grief could you?

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Most of the time I clean my rifles before I get home. At least run a boresnake with some CLP thru 'em.Check the bores now and then with a light...so far so good

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I used to clean my barrels but stopped cleaning the hunting rifles.

Amazing how few on this site know how to clean a rifle but this is about the worst advice you will get, this is like saying my car still runs why change the oil or air filter run em till they quit !!!!

As to the OP, about the best and easiest copper cleaner I have found is Bore Tech Eliminator. No smell and works better than ammonia based cleaners. If you want to clean copper only they make a product called CU+2 copper remover but then you have to use a carbon cleaner also, the Eliminator does both.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
757 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,413
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.