Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’m new to CC and a minimalist by nature; I don’t wear jewelry or even a watch anymore. I hate have stuff hang off me. I rarely even keep my wallet in my pocket and my edc knife is a tiny SOG twitch 1. Typically, I am a t-shirt and jeans/shorts guy.

I got a S&W Shield for carry, and while a nice gun, I just hate carrying it on me and have tried a couple different carry methods. I got my wife a S&W 642 for her CC and am thinking about picking another up for myself to actually carry and then keep a full size CZ 75 in vehicle. I really don’t want a mouse gun and can’t be the only one who wants to carry yet hates it at the same time do to comfort or inconvenience.

So what is your threshold for a weapon for actual daily carry?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The biggest for me is a Glock 19 and I rarely carry it. The one I carry the most is my LC9s Pro. It is very comfortable with it's tapered slide, smallish grip and rolled edges I clip in the waistband of my pants with a Techna-clip and literally forget it's there. I carry a Sig P938 some too but it's not as comfortable as the the Ruger. The LC9s is a well thought out pistol.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djb
I’m new to CC and a minimalist by nature; I don’t wear jewelry or even a watch anymore. I hate have stuff hang off me. I rarely even keep my wallet in my pocket and my edc knife is a tiny SOG twitch 1. Typically, I am a t-shirt and jeans/shorts guy.

I got a S&W Shield for carry, and while a nice gun, I just hate carrying it on me and have tried a couple different carry methods. I got my wife a S&W 642 for her CC and am thinking about picking another up for myself to actually carry and then keep a full size CZ 75 in vehicle. I really don’t want a mouse gun and can’t be the only one who wants to carry yet hates it at the same time do to comfort or inconvenience.

Depends on where I'm going to be 'that day'.

Here to town and back - usually a P-380. Twenty-thirty miles west it's usually a 9mm; either my P-9 or a Ruger SR9C compact.. Another 10-15 miles west of that and it's usually one of the Kimber 45s....with extra magazines..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a Shield is too much for you, I don't know what a 642 will offer

I carry a full size M&P everywhere I go.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Commander size 1911, G-19, Beretta 92 Compact..........not a lot of difference, size wise.

A good holster & a decent belt is a must.

MM

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
LWT Commander 45 ACP EDC. Less frequently SS 1911 GM 9x23.

Good holsters and belts make a difference even with shorts and t-shirts.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock 19 on pavement, Glock 30SF off pavement. In those rare instances when I absolutely have to go minimalist, I carry a Glock 43 in a front pocket.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Govt. 1911 .45.

When I need to hide it, I do.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry two.

A mouse gun, and something bigger.

You may think you're a minimalist; but you may be one event away from changing either your opinion or your respiratory status.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My EDC is a Glock 32, and when I need to carry something smaller/discrete I carry a Glock 43 in my front pocket with a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sig P245.
I've tried full size 1911, and Beretta 92FS, and both are a bit much.
Summer carry is likely to be a 38 snubbie.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If I'm going into a bigger town I'll carry my SD9VE which is identical in size to a Glock 19. Otherwise for EDC it's a XDS with 6 round mag. I carry a spare mag or two in either case.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Daily either a Glock 32 or a Lightweight 1911 Commander 98 % of the time. Smallest gun I'll carry as my primary CCW is my Springfield XDS in .45 acp.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Back when I first started, back in the early 1980s, I most often carried pocket guns. As IWB holsters got better, I gradually transitioned in the 1990s to full sized sidearms, only occasionally going for compact compromise guns like J-Frames, Detective Specials, and the like. In the last few years, it's been only service sized. The one I'm currently settled on is the Glock Model 17, which has been my daily carry since last August. For a few years before that, it was a 3" K-Frame S&W.

I switched to the 17 mainly due to a growing awareness of the potential for the need for more capacity than a wheel gun provides.

There's just no comparison in shootability between a full sized service gun and a compact or pocket sized weapon. Like night and day, and since (with the right holster and belt) they can be carried and concealed just about as well, I can't find too many reasons (in most cases) for carrying anything smaller.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Like many others it depends on what I'm wearing and where I'm going. Also I like to switch off on what I carry just because I can.

Most of the time I carry the bigger ones IWB because they conceal better. A 1911 is the biggest. I like my Springfield XDS because it's thin and medium size but still a .45acp. A S&W 2.5" .357 OWB or IWB. An LCR .38 and a Colt .380 pockerlite carry nicely in a front pocket. I've also got a 9mm Doubletap for times when two shots are better than none.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Glock 17, for 20 years now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carried my SIG 220 and S&W 1911 for awhile. Have also carried a S&W 686 (2.5" bbl) and a Ruger LCR and a CA Bulldog.

Since I 'discovered' Glocks it's been nothing but the 19 or 30S depending on what I feel like (they're nearly identical in size and weight).

Might pick me up a 26 this year for S&G...

A good hybrid holster or AIWB makes carrying them a breeze and like the OP I'm usually in shorts and a tshirt all summer.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glock 30 daily

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Full size Glock, either 31 or 22.

Sig P226, and P220.

Kahr cw9 is about as minimalist as I go

Off pavement it's a Blackhawk in 41 mag or G21

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sig P229R 40 caliber.

Last edited by SargeMO; 04/25/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Coming out of the woods after dark when I'm bow hunting this Beretta PX4 Storm .45 with a Viridian green laser/light is comfortable in a Fobus paddle holster

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Lobo80; 04/25/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
In town dress, Sig P226 40 with 3 xtra mags.
In town casual, LW Commander in 38 Super w/ 3 xtra mags.
Around the farm goofing off or working, may be a FA 454C or Colt SAA 45 Colt.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
These days for casual carry a G43, but about half the time I carry a G17.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been carrying a S&W 6906 for quite a while. Before that was a Ruger LCR, and before that was a Ruger LC9.

First, developing the habit of carrying takes time, could be months. For the last few years, my gun goes on when my pants do and comes off when my pants do. Typically I don't even think about it during the day. Good belt and a good holster is key to successful carry. If you don't do that it's always going to be pulling on you. I've carried off and on since the 70's. It's just easy to make excuses. Back in those days I'd Mexican Carry, with the occasional holster. Never bought good holsters. I don't decide if I'm going to carry based on the day, where I'm going, none of that. I just carry. I'm not Psychic so I don't know when I am going to run into trouble, or just happen to be where trouble shows up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by gunner500
In town dress, Sig P226 40 with 3 xtra mags.
In town casual, LW Commander in 38 Super w/ 3 xtra mags.
Around the farm goofing off or working, may be a FA 454C or Colt SAA 45 Colt.

It's all relative, though..... grin

My little 642 goes everywhere, I just don't feel right without it. After 17 years together, anything else would feel like cheating.

The M&Pc is the other"go-to", though I'm debating a switch to .40 from .357 for standardization.

A change in SOP is coming soon which will likely impact my choices, and give me an excuse to add to the stable.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh shocked laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djb

So - you plan your life according to how you wish to dress.

It seems you have made your choice. What others do has little to do with it. Otherwise, you'd be asking how to conceal - rather than what.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I've been carrying a S&W 6906 for quite a while. Before that was a Ruger LCR, and before that was a Ruger LC9.

First, developing the habit of carrying takes time, could be months. For the last few years, my gun goes on when my pants do and comes off when my pants do. Typically I don't even think about it during the day. Good belt and a good holster is key to successful carry. If you don't do that it's always going to be pulling on you. I've carried off and on since the 70's. It's just easy to make excuses. Back in those days I'd Mexican Carry, with the occasional holster. Never bought good holsters. I don't decide if I'm going to carry based on the day, where I'm going, none of that. I just carry. I'm not Psychic so I don't know when I am going to run into trouble, or just happen to be where trouble shows up.

Agreed! A really good holster and a good belt make all the difference in the world!
I do however, still "Meskin" carry, as we call it in TX, every once in a while, when I'm too damn lazy to put on my belt and holster.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Govt. 1911 .45.

When I need to hide it, I do.

This. 1911 all day every day IWB.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
XD40

μολὼν λαβέ
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
1911 Sig C3 45 ACP...every day.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
XDS .45 plus two extra mags. Everyday, everywhere.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glock 23 for many a moon.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glock 19 is my first choice

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends upon the day, mood, conditions. Never less than a .380 or .38Special, frequently a Gov't Model 1911 or a BHP.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I carry a PF9 in the summer/when lightly dressed and LW commander when wearing more or in the winter.

A decent belt and holster make carrying the bigger pistol comfortable, but I often wear cargo shorts and a T-shirt in the summer and concealing it would require some alterations in wardrobe. So its more of issue of concealment rather than weight that drives me back to the PF9 in the warmer months.

The other nice thing is that I can front pocket carry the PF9 if I wish which gives me some options.

I tried one of the 380's for a while. but it didn't seem to gain me much in terms of carrying except maybe its a little better in a front pocket, but felt like less pistol when I was shooting so have given up on it.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djb
I’m new to CC and a minimalist by nature;

A short barrel J-frame in a pants pocket carries well. You do not need a holster, other than to reduce printing or orientation within pocket. Also, a G43 can be carried in a pants pocket, but you must use some form of pocket holster/device to cover the trigger. But for me, appendix carry of a G43 has proven the best thing since the invention of the wheel. Comfortable, quick access, and very minimalist. It is the smallest I can go while still being able to get big gun performance down range.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gary,
What holster are you using for the appendix carry?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
glock 43 all day everyday till winter then a glock 19 all day everyday

FJB
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I carry a Ruger Blackhawk a lot, but open carry. And not in town.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There is a huge difference between what you can conceal in the summer and what you can conceal in a Minnesota winter.
I get a kick out of the guys who wear jackets in warm weather. A cop told me that one time he was investigating something in Mpls wearing plainclothes and he was wearing civilian clothes and playing pool in a bar. He went to the bar to order food and a drink.
The bartender refused his money saying," We don't charge cops."
This guy had no idea that anyone could tell he was a cop.

Last edited by whelennut; 04/26/16.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Funny you should mention that because I used to see FBI agents try to infiltrate certain places pretending to be civilians and EVERYONE in the juke joint knew they were FBI guys after they had taken three steps into the room. They just stuck out in a small southern town even though they did everything they could to hide it. Their hair cuts and clean shaves usually gave them away, but the way they walked, talked, and looked made it imposible for them to pull it off. Why the bureau ever thought it was a good idea to send agents with strong northern accents down south to pose as redneck southerners I will never understand, but they did.

Last edited by BobWills; 04/26/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
one of these:

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by whelennut
There is a huge difference between what you can conceal in the summer and what you can conceal in a Minnesota winter.
I get a kick out of the guys who wear jackets in warm weather. A cop told me that one time he was investigating something in Mpls wearing plainclothes and he was wearing civilian clothes and playing pool in a bar. He went to the bar to order food and a drink.
The bartender refused his money saying," We don't charge cops."
This guy had no idea that anyone could tell he was a cop.

I disagree with that. I don't have a problem concealing a full size Glock in either summer or winter dress.

It's all about holster selection

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shorts, a big belt, longer T shirt, boat shoes and a G17. grin

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for all the replies. In winter with jeans, t, and a flannel there are a lot of options, but as has been said, "sticking out" on a 90 degree day wearing a jacket could bring trouble. Spring is here and had me thinking on the subject.

2 weeks ago we dined at the Columbus restaurant where the muslim machete attack took place. It is not a high risk area, and it is a shame the culture now dictates the need to be prepared at all times. Experience will help refine my technique.

I still can't imagine a full size 1911 tugging at my waist all day.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by djb

I still can't imagine a full size 1911 tugging at my waist all day.
I did it for years. Amazing what you can get used to. Takes about a week, so long as you have the right holster and belt. Next thing you know, you forget it's there. Now, with an all steel Government Model 1911, you will definitely know it's there if you have to run anywhere with it. Short of that, though, you can easily get where you forget it's there. It's a flat gun and tends to snug right up to you without discomfort.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 4 inch S&W M15 .38 and a full-size pre B CZ75. Old school, I know.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
IMO the best way to carry a 1911 is IWB

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not one to brag . . .

<><><> http://www.thunderwear.com/images/comfort.jpg <><><>

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think some of you must be pretty girthy if you you can hide a full size 1911 when only wearing a t-shirt and shorts!;)

I have been using a Sig P938 when in a t & shorts. It's small enough to hide really easily.

When it's cool enough I've been carrying a Govt model as of late.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BigNate
I think some of you must be pretty girthy if you you can hide a full size 1911 when only wearing a t-shirt and shorts!;)

Funny, I was thinking of including that in my initial post. 6'2 210 with a 33 inch waist; "stuff' stands out pretty well on me. G-rated here guys grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't carry based on what I'm wearing, I carry based on what I'm preparing for.

If you're carrying a gun, you're preparing for the worst case possible scenario. If you're carrying a tiny gun with no reload you're assuming that in the worst case scenario everything will go as well as possible.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I carry either a Smith 6946 or a Smith 5904 (3rd gen 9mm doublestacks, one 3.5" 12rd mag, other 4" 15-17rd mag). This is year-round in AZ which is a very high % of shorts and tee shirt weather. A loose shirt that hangs on you should conceal most anything short of an XP-100.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I don't carry based on what I'm wearing, I carry based on what I'm preparing for.

If you're carrying a gun, you're preparing for the worst case possible scenario. If you're carrying a tiny gun with no reload you're assuming that in the worst case scenario everything will go as well as possible.

This is dead on.

Dressing around the proper gun and carry load to meet worse case scenarios involves right holster & belt, surrounded by the clothes to conceal the carry method. Practice and planning are keys IME.

Carrying a SS 1911 GM 9x23 as I type this with 3 mags, as easily as the LWT 45 ACP Commanders I more frequently carry, with same reload complement. IWB or OWB holsters & properly fitted belts of proper design for the gun and body type can't be overemphasized. Worth the investment.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most carried is a G23 or G19. djb mentioned he's a minimalist. Often shorts/tshirt. I do this with a mid-size Glock in the same shorts/tshirt but usually untuck the shirt, the G43 should be perfect for this.

Clip draw (could be done without this), trigger guard (can be used for pocket carry), and a decent belt...minimal, comfortable, and secure:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good comments & post, Blue.

I don't own a single mouse gun for those very reasons; not only are they inadequate for the purpose, they're just plain APIA to shoot at ranges over a few feet.

I think some of you must be pretty girthy if you you can hide a full size 1911 when only wearing a t-shirt and shorts!)

Well, I'm 6'1", 220 lbs. & wear a size 38 waist pant, if that makes me girthy.

I can wear shorts & a loose T-shirt or Island type shirt & easily conceal any 1911 made, in a decent holster.

Obviously, well maybe not so obvious to some, a belt capable of holding the gun & holster & snugged up to accomplish same, is a must.............you surely can't wear the shorts with no belt & have them hanging down around your ass; also can't wear a compression T-shirt either, also rather obvious, well maybe.

MM

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RufusG
A loose shirt that hangs on you should conceal most anything short of an XP-100.
This.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
During the winter it would be my S&W M629 4"

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RWE
I carry two.

A mouse gun, and something bigger.

You may think you're a minimalist; but you may be one event away from changing either your opinion or your respiratory status.

Exactly.

Get into just one deadly encounter, survive, and I bet your perspective will change.

Look at it this way:

What is the minimum you would be willing to get into a shooting against one or two armed men, who are more likely than not:

Under the influence of narcotics and/or alcohol

Not reacting to normal pain stimuli

Not thinking rationally

Neither people shooting at you or your loved ones have any moral or ethical dilemmas about killing you/your loved ones, or any bystanders to achieve their goals.

The reality of the society that we live in today is that there are some very dedicated, well armed people in this world, who will not hesitate to slaughter the innocent, or what they perceive as easy prey.

A Mouse gun may work, but personally I do not consider hope a very good strategy.

BTW,

Today I have been assigned daddy day care duty,and one has a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours, so both have to go.

I am wearing a Gen 2 G17, with standard cap magazine, and a 22 round Glock ETS magazine for a reload. That is 17+1 in the gun, and 22 rds for a reload, for 40 rounds of 124 grain Gold Dots.

A G19 w/o reload is really what I consider a minimum these days.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just for clarification, if I carry a backup 2nd gun, then it's a J-framed 38........it's the smallest gun I have & I don't really put it into the "mousegun" category of 380's or 32's.

JMHO

MM

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry the mouse because its the only gun I have that can fit into every front pants pocket I own, no matter how tight, loose, for fitting, etc and I can shoot accurately.

It, a pocket knife, and a spacepen, every day.

Then, depending on the shirt, is whether or not the 9c gets the 12 round, or the 17 extended - with the other mag on board somewhere.

The mouse gun isn't a hope gun. It's there for spite. I wish it had exploding bullets. With mercury.

My hope strategy is to avoid confrontation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

The reality of the society that we live in today is that there are some very dedicated, well armed people in this world, who will not hesitate to slaughter the innocent, or what they perceive as easy prey.

To Mackay's comment above, I think that many, many & most people just do not realize or appreciate how totally brutal at beyond an animal level, many of the psychopaths, sociopaths, thugs & just cruel & violent people are in the world today.

We may not see it much in the smaller locales that most of us live in but it's more prevalent than most think around the bigger metro areas.

The incident in the link below happened a few years ago but I've kept it around just as a reminder as to what really bad people do w/o hesitation to good, kind & unprotected people.

I've used it as a reminder & object lesson to my own 2 boys, especially when they are traveling, to be extremely vigilant & alert & to be armed at all times.

The Gruesome Story of a Tennessee Couple Murdered

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Or simply playing the odds.

Neither my previous post nor this one are meant to imply that I have or would never go there. I know there are situations that may require a person to go with a smaller gun than they'd like or they should. But it should follow some realistic thought. There is a world of room to work with between a t-shirt and a winter jacket. And shorts aren't even an issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent the first 2/3 of my life in New Orleans, and anybody who thinks they can’t get mixed up in some life threatening stuff while minding their own business in an allegedly decent neighborhood (the locals have weird definitions) is not paying attention. I’m sure Jerry Miculek could do fine armed with only a Kel Tec P3AT against a pair of determined thugs, but there is no way in heck that a lot of my family or friends would fare as well if similarly armed.

A lot of people conflate the odds of needing a gun in the first place with the odds that a particular gun will win the encounter. I guess it is easier to avoid doing that if you hang out in places where the odds of needing a gun in the first place are higher.

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am constantly in and out of non-permissive areas. I carry a 2 inch J frame in appendix carry tuck holster most of the time. However, I do carry my Colt Commander a good portion of the fall and winter in a custom OWB holster under a hooded sweatshirt or un-tucked shirt. I tote my Glock 35 or S&W 329 when woods walking or training my pointer.

Perry

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I just heard that a young man was shot and killed in a small town in Northern Wisconsin near where I live. I knew his girlfriend.
I guess if it could happen to him it could happen to anyone. I didn't know him personally but he didn't look any different than anyone else around here.

I just read on Facebook that an 80 year old man defended himself against four punks who tried to rob him with no success. One was shot in the head and one was wounded. Two were arrested.
He did good for an old man.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II Stainless .45, in a N8 2 Pro IWB holster. It is very comfortable to carry and conceal.

Lots of times in the summer, however, I carry a S & W Mod. 63 Kit Gun in .22 cal., with a couple of CCI snake loads in the first two cylinders. I live in rattlesnake country, and a .22 fired at a buzzworm attracts little attention from neighbors, etc.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What if you had a doctors appointment at a VA Hospital where there was a sign that said no weapons allowed any where on the property?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

To Mackay's comment above, I think that many, many & most people just do not realize or appreciate how totally brutal at beyond an animal level, many of the psychopaths, sociopaths, thugs & just cruel & violent people are in the world today.

We may not see it much in the smaller locales that most of us live in but it's more prevalent than most think around the bigger metro areas.

The incident in the link below happened a few years ago but I've kept it around just as a reminder as to what really bad people do w/o hesitation to good, kind & unprotected people.

I've used it as a reminder & object lesson to my own 2 boys, especially when they are traveling, to be extremely vigilant & alert & to be armed at all times.

The Gruesome Story of a Tennessee Couple Murdered

MM
Perfect reminder, MM.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've carried 1911's, Glock 21, Glock 17, Barretta 21a. Probably too many to list. As most have stated, try to carry the most you can for the time that Sh*t hits the fan.

With that being said, If you can't carry a 45acp, then carry a 9mm, and if a 9mm is too big, then carry 22.

Years ago, my wife and I were going to someplace formal with another couple. We encountered a few late teen, early 20's thugs.

I readied my self. The male from the other couple asked what I was carrying. I responded a Barretta 22. He said "Is that ll you brought"? My (knowing he was unarmed) was: "And what are you carrying?" He got this sheepish look on his face and never questioned me again. BUT, from that time forward, he always came prepared. Luckily, when the thugs approached, I identified myself as LE, and they left in a New York minute.

These days, for the most part, my go to firearm for CCW is a Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium 9mm. Mag holds 12, plus 1 in the chamber.

I use QUALITY +P ammo, and I practice enough to make sure that I'm proficient in my drawing skills as well as being able to hit the target.

The real key here is knowing when to take evasive asking and get out of dodge. Or when to take cover and concealment and prepare to do what must be done to protect life and limb.

In my humble opinion, drawing a firearm is the very last choice or option. But given the situation that you're in, it might be then first and only option.

Bottom line, prepare for the worst, pray for the best and hope that you're never in a situation that places you in harms way.

As the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
What if you had a doctors appointment at a VA Hospital where there was a sign that said no weapons allowed any where on the property?
That's when you carry the gun that you carry when you're "not carrying a gun."

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
That's when you carry the gun that you carry when you're "not carrying a gun."

And for those responding to my previous post... Hence, the little Model 21a in .22 long rifle

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Owl
I've carried 1911's, Glock 21, Glock 17, Barretta 21a. Probably too many to list. As most have stated, try to carry the most you can for the time that Sh*t hits the fan.

With that being said, If you can't carry a 45acp, then carry a 9mm, and if a 9mm is too big, then carry 22.

Years ago, my wife and I were going to someplace formal with another couple. We encountered a few late teen, early 20's thugs.

I readied my self. The male from the other couple asked what I was carrying. I responded a Barretta 22. He said "Is that ll you brought"? My (knowing he was unarmed) was: "And what are you carrying?" He got this sheepish look on his face and never questioned me again. BUT, from that time forward, he always came prepared. Luckily, when the thugs approached, I identified myself as LE, and they left in a New York minute.

These days, for the most part, my go to firearm for CCW is a Taurus PT111 G2 Millenium 9mm. Mag holds 12, plus 1 in the chamber.

I use QUALITY +P ammo, and I practice enough to make sure that I'm proficient in my drawing skills as well as being able to hit the target.

The real key here is knowing when to take evasive asking and get out of dodge. Or when to take cover and concealment and prepare to do what must be done to protect life and limb.

In my humble opinion, drawing a firearm is the very last choice or option. But given the situation that you're in, it might be then first and only option.

Bottom line, prepare for the worst, pray for the best and hope that you're never in a situation that places you in harms way.

As the Boy Scouts say: Be Prepared.

Jeff

Good post.

To me there is a difference in carrying what feels big and what is physically big. In my experience, trying to stuff a Sig P226 or XD45c IWB is just tough to do comfortably, where as a slimmer 1911 works fine for me.

With that said, I've been known to carry as many as three handguns at a time regularly, depending on where and what. It's pretty easy to have an LC9 in an ankle holster, a S&W Airweight/Desantis in a front pocket, a 1911 strong side. And all while wearing a shirt and jeans.

Regularly, my rotation for 'full-size' carry guns are a Colt Commander, Sig P229, and an M&P9.

Last edited by 1Nut; 04/27/16.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used to carry a colt 1991 a-1 officers model. Now a glock g36.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
A Beretta Nano and a 92F.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I get a bad feeling because of something I see on the news that makes me want a 12 gauge pump or AK 47 semi auto.
If it is just another day N frame in cold weather,
I don't own any shorts or Hawaiian shirts.
If I was at the beach maybe a Freedom Arms mini-gun.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Kimber SS Pro Carry series 1 - Commander-length 1911 - my fav.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would like a quad 50 but it is not in the budget this year.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm changing over from my winter carry G19 to the G43 for summer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's summer at the North Pole, about 2 weeks in July?

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Been trying to work with this; a little bigger than my usual 649 S&W. Since I've retired the duty/service pistol thing isn't necessary.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This Springfield XDS .45 gets carried a lot in the summer IWB

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
There are some good articles on the NRA shooting illustrated website.
You may want to do some research.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RGK
Been trying to work with this; a little bigger than my usual 649 S&W. Since I've retired the duty/service pistol thing isn't necessary.
Bob

[Linked Image]

I find that quite do-able, most of the time.

Needs a C&S safety though. wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Check out our average temp's , it will surprise you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Found that a full sized 1911 is hard for me to conceal due to my smaller physical frame size. I like the full size because of the mass, it helps my physical size and mass keep it down when rapid firing. Lightweight poly frames just do not have the mass to help me keep accurate in the .45 caliber because of my frame size. I recently picked up a Colt 1991 A1 Officers, It still has mass and I am getting fair with keeping it on target yet it is much easier to keep tucked away and hidden, starting to like it... smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by RGK
Bob

[Linked Image]

A nice BHP in a worn in leather holster. Does it get any better?

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by djb

Threshold high or threshold low?

For the most part my absolute minimal gun is a 5 shot J frame .357 loaded with Federal 125s. I can't think of the last time I packed anything smaller without also packing something larger.

My normal carry gun is a 4-5/8" single action .44 magnum or a 4" barreled DA .44 magnum.

If I ever move back into a larger town I'll probably go with a Commander-sized 1911. I've also given the Glock 29 SF some thought but double stack mags mostly don't fit my hand. Best semi-auto for my hands is a Kimber Pro Carry. Of the high cap guns, a Browning Hi Power isn't horrible.

Summer here will throw a few 105 degree or hotter days. Concealing ANYTHING, other than with a fanny pack holster, is pretty much impossible. Glock 43 might have a place in a pants pocket.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have carried a Glock 20 and a full size 1911 as my EDC for years wit no problem. My current carry gun is a 3 inch barrelled Ruger GP100 10mm. The right holster and belt make it very comfortable to carry.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
speaking of that beretta 21a, i call it the "bra" gun. number of years ago my wife was doing a lot of hiking in the phoenix parks system where issues were happening. Typically shorts and tshirt, really hot temps. Thus the bra gun.
it fits quite easily in that empty spot in the bra between the two boobs. Can't really tell its there.
I told her of in a situation empty the dang thing in the guy's face, throw it at him, and run like the dickens. Doubt leaking blood he would be able much to keep up with you.
I have a female friend that does a lot of desert long distance hiking. Shorts and a tshirt. she found a way to conceal one of those little ruger 38specials.
I carry the most firepower i can in a descrete manner, and given when i think i will be.
But, since my normal attire year round is shorts and a tshirt, a fanny pack or shoulder holster tends to carry most of it.
this weekend going into a really desolate area, it's a model 28 in a shoulder holster, and a a4carbine. Because i don't have to be concerned about concealing it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Years ago I was portaging a canoe in the Boundary Waters Wilderness. I was wearing a shoulder holster with a S&W Model 29 44 magnum.
I got some looks but nobody said a word about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyday carry is a Glock G19 unless I'm in a grizzly bear area, then it's a rifle or a 44 mag Redhawk. The secret is a good belt and holster (and a untucked shirt to cover it).

Last edited by kalbrecht; 04/29/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't carry all that frequently, but when I do it's the Glock 19. For woods bumming my carry gun is a S&W 4" 686 .357 which fits nicely into a padded fanny pack worn on my right hip.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
Everyday carry is a Glock G19 unless I'm in a grizzly bear area, then it's a rifle or a 44 mag Redhawk. The secret is a good belt and holster (and a untucked shirt to cover it).

G19 for me too, all day every day except at work, where it's mandatory termination if you bring a gun in the office. I've found the G19 to be easy enough to carry all year round, if you're serious about carrying and dressing around the gun. That doesn't mean 5.11 vests or other "shoot me first" clothing, just a little forethought. T-shirt and jeans is all I need to conceal it in the summer; winter is easy.

Body shape is important of course. If you've got a gut, appendix carry probably won't work well, but if you're in decent shape, you can easily conceal bigger guns than the G19 all year round. Personally I find the G19 carried AIWB comfortable enough that I don't even bother taking it off for naps.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
speaking of that beretta 21a, i call it the "bra" gun. number of years ago my wife was doing a lot of hiking in the phoenix parks system where issues were happening. Typically shorts and tshirt, really hot temps. Thus the bra gun.
it fits quite easily in that empty spot in the bra between the two boobs. Can't really tell its there.

A buddy of mine has a wife who could concealed carry a scoped Super Redhawk that way.

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
5 inch 1911 with a good holster doesn't bother me. I'm assuming a Glock 17 will work as well once I get a decent holster.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
16/7 i carry a sp101 3 inch now, but for 30 years carried my 1946 issue 1911 govt model.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JSH
5 inch 1911 with a good holster doesn't bother me. I'm assuming a Glock 17 will work as well once I get a decent holster.
I highly recommend the El Paso Saddlery C-Force IWB.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
1911 or a 4" S&W N-Frame.....

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A lot of you are pretty harsh about not carrying "all you can" but if that's how you feel fine. It's your opinion.

If you are the only one standing around wearing over-sized clothes, maybe even layers of clothes, sweating profusely, you're not fooling ANYONE. LE, thugs, whoever, will recognize immediately you're trying to hide something. How effective is that? You've lost the element of surprise.

Another thing that tips off others is ones attitude. It's easy to spot some CCW people who seem to be overly confident, and unusually aggressive. It's usually younger guys but not always. Look for trouble long enough it'll find you.

I try to be dressed as much like everyone else will be. Not wearing a goofy vest when it's hot out, or layered shirts to hide a big angular bulge. I'm just over 6' 198# and a 32-33" waist. A gov't model isn't easy to hide on my waist. My smallest is a P938, it's not ideal for a full on shoot out,but I don't live where those happen yet, I'm not spending my time in area's where it's most likely, etc. Could it? Sure. But if you have something your still way better off than being unarmed, and most thugs want NOTHING to do with being on the receiving end.

If you carry something so large you stand out you may as well open carry.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A lot of you are pretty harsh about not carrying "all you can" but if that's how you feel fine. It's your opinion.

If you are the only one standing around wearing over-sized clothes, maybe even layers of clothes, sweating profusely, you're not fooling ANYONE.
I wear polo shirts and carry a Glock 17. If you can't conceal a Glock 17 with nothing more than a polo shirt, you're doing something wrong.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 70 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.