Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Any of you guys done any work on trying to bring old alloys back to life? I'm talking uncoated, previously-polished, high-end wheels from the late 1990's that have just been sitting. They are dull and there is a bit of white pitting (light) in some areas. Doing a little Googling shows that many people wet-sand with progressively lighter grits to even out any pitting before working with polishing compounds. I'm not familiar with the process or the tools. There is a Harbor Freight store nearby though. I'd not object to spending $100-150 on supplies to get these wheels back in shape. Anybody have any insight to offer?

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
try some nevr-dull....

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mother's Mag Wheel polish works for me, I spent no more than 10 minutes knocking the oxidation off this Jeep wheel to prove the point back in 2008. Using a Power Ball or similar tool works even better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dave

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That looks pretty good. Some more research reveals that many are using a 6-7" multi-speed polisher with 2-3 different wheels and 2-3 compounds to get most of the oxidation and pits smoothed out, then going with something like the mag polish to finish it off. I think I'll try that. Mine are some old Centerline Jeep wheels that are thankfully uncoated.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, if you have pits or scratches you can feel with a fingernail, Mother's won't cut it. The factory alloy was rough to the touch, very oxidized but for a polish, it's a good product.

I did a test on the inside (not back) of the wheel, sanding machining marks down with 220, 320, 400 and 600 and followed with Mother's and it looked like a mirror.

Dave

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDW
Yep, if you have pits or scratches you can feel with a fingernail, Mother's won't cut it. The factory alloy was rough to the touch, very oxidized but for a polish, it's a good product.

I did a test on the inside (not back) of the wheel, sanding machining marks down with 220, 320, 400 and 600 and followed with Mother's and it looked like a mirror.

How long does that job take?

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It takes awhile to do right, kinda like fixing hazy headlights.

Most wheels today are clearcoated, so be sure to re-clearcoat them or the shine won't last long.

If you live where salt or liquid deicers are used in the winter, it makes a lot of sense to put your winter tires on a set of steel wheels and run them in the winter.

Alloy wheels are like having a beautiful girlfriend .... look very nice but a lot more upkeep.

JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I read that a person might spend a couple hours to get a wheel looking really good, provided they are using power tools and washing the wheel between applications of different grit compounds. Longer if you have to take off a clearcoat or clean up dings or curb rash.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve, it took a few hours sanding by hand, and it was a small section. My CJ's wheels needed a full restoration, I sold the CJ after the restoration to put the money towards a house, I am glad I did because those wheels were rough!

My Cherokee has the same wheels and they are in much better shape so the job should be easier.

I would guess it would take me 40 hours a wheel, mostly due to the care needed not to round over sharp edges.

I would clearcoat after polishing as suggested.

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
I read that a person might spend a couple hours to get a wheel looking really good, provided they are using power tools and washing the wheel between applications of different grit compounds. Longer if you have to take off a clearcoat or clean up dings or curb rash.

This is correct. HOW GOOD DO U WANT IT TO LOOK? A friend of mine has a side business polishing show trucks (semi's). He gets paid by the hour and sometimes it takes him 2 weeks to polish a truck. He does not come cheap and has more work come his way than he wants. But u can shave off any polished surface on the truck. Polishing properly is a multi step process of multiple grits of rough. If u get a green bar of polish and some mothers polish and a good yellow wheel I'm sure just that alone will be shiny enough for what u want. If u want mirror polish your gonna need a few more grits and wheels and a whole lot of time.

Green bar. (I know it says stainless steel polish but its the best all around polish)

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.co...G0adSsihTFmyZwblMbTeNNn4qixByhoCFKrw_wcB

Yellow wheel. I use it on my 4.5 inch grinder and it makes a mess but does the job. An actual polisher is a much better option

http://www.raneystruckparts.com/zep...MBoCES2mcagR4LZUOmMSVVRYLAMPLxoCPRrw_wcB

White bar optional. Will give the best final mirror polish but a mothers aluminum polish will work well too.

http://www.jmstoolsupply.com/en14whdirpoc.html?ref=lexity&_vs=google&_vm=productsearch

He also uses these quite a bit for hard to reach places in wheels and such on an air drill type polisher

http://www.pjtool.com/cylinder-buffs.aspx

I wish I still had the picture of a fuel tank he did on a mid 80's 359 Peterbilt a guy was redoing. The tank had NEVER been polished. When my buddy was done it was a literal mirror. Took him many many hours.

Last edited by k20350; 04/25/16.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

130 members (44mc, 280ACKIMP, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 14 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 819 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,223
Posts18,447,513
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.