Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
2005 Rancher 4X4 Manual shift.

I screwed up this morning and didn't check for the green light when I shifted into neutral on getting to work, and before shutting the engine off. The machine is in neutral, but I am told there is some sort of internal switch (the green light) that gets stuck, and shorts the ignition whether or not the machine is in neutral. Shifting to neutral is supposed to reset that switch, but it did not this time.

This has happened before when shutting down in gear, but by rocking back and forth it has always - sometimes very reluctantly - gotten back into start mode. One time, I pushed it about a block to put it into a neighbor's garage overnight to warm up, but the green light came on just as I rolled it into the garage. Tonight I had it towed home in neutral and put it into the landlord's greenhouse (about 65 to 70 in there) hoping it just had some ice in it and will thaw out, but as yet, 3 hours later, nadda. I'll try again before going to bed

I can find nothing in the Clymer service manual that addresses this problem.

1. Is there a way to reset this switch - and where is it located (I think inside the transmission?) ? If it is external, maybe I can tap on it? Or work around it.

2. Am I going to have to take the transmission apart if it doesn't free up?

3. Is there a way to bypass or eliminate this engineering nightmare POS to avoid a similar problem in the future?

Any suggestions are welcome.

And no, I haven't checked the fuses yet, but will. I don't think that's the problem however. It never has been in the past.

Thanks.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would seem the switch would not be internal, but things like this aren't always engineered for making life easier.

If it is external my first thought would be to jumper around it.

Disclaimer: I am a farmer and use baling wire and duct tape on a lot of stuff.

grin

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you try putting it in high gear then pushing it a little to turn the motor over then back into neutral.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Does it have a kick starter and a compression release?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like it needs a trip to the dealer for some repair.

Even if you get it working this time, when will it leave you high and dry again?

More than likely they can fix it for you.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a switch inside the engine with contacts for the green light and makes it possible to start the engine. Older Hondas used a nice, solid steel unit for that switching mechanism. Honda forgot about Alaska when they swung the engine and redesigned it. It's now plastic. And to further 'improve' on a proven system, they put the switch in a place where water vapor tends to condense and pool inside cold crankcases - which also seems to be a problem here in Alaska. That means that shifting out of neutral when that plastic part is frozen in place can mean that something has to give. Voila, no more neutral switch! (And, no more start!) Virtually every Honda earned itself a jumper wire before they changed something. I reckon you're due for the jumper solution. Your best bet is probably to call Hartley and ask them for the prescription ...wish I remembered which wire, exactly, had to be cut and grounded. It'll make your green light stay on, but you'll be able to start the engine again.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, re #2, yes, you need to open the engine to replace the plastic switch.....so it can break again. mad

(The correct solution is to use a jumper wire. Call Hartley's 1-800-770-4860....I used to have that number in my cranial roll-a-dex, but that is failing as well.)

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Thanks guys. Sounds like mark is da man- exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like I can put in a toggle switch on the jumper as well?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably could. Everyone I know just drives around with the green light lit and the ability to start in gear. Key switch turns everything off anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried pulling the right brake lever in and starting it?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 700LH
Did you try putting it in high gear then pushing it a little to turn the motor over then back into neutral.

I'll try that on the way up the block to a better fixing facility where I'm going to bypass that Mofo anyway. But I'm done messing with that thing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Have you tried pulling the right brake lever in and starting it?

I was wondering the same, but Honda was behind the curve on adding the 'in-gear override' feature; not sure if they had it 10 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a buddy with an 04 Rubicon that has it, might be worth a try.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,252
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.