Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
In a weak moment this weekend, I overpaid for an 82 "A" in excellent condition. When young in the early 80's I always read about and debated which bolt 22lr to buy when I could. A Kimber 82 was high in the fantasy mix. I have since owned all of my fantasy 22 sporters with the exception of a Kleingunther and a 52C Winchester. I have owned two 541s'. Currently have 2 1422 Anschutz rifles. I did not need the Kimber but pulled the trigger anyway. Hopefully it is a shooter. I like the classic stock better than the Monte Carlo / schnabel Anschutz stocks. 2 additional 10rd. Magazines came with my 82. Apparently these sell for a premium. Selling these would lower my cost in the Kimber and make me feel better about the purchase.

What would be a reasonable price to place on these in the classifieds?

Should I expect close to Anschutz accuracy out of this Kimber?

Thanks!

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The two 82's I owned weren't in the same league accuracy wise as my 54 Anschutz rifles. It was a beautiful rifle, but I ended up selling it because I was disappointed in the accuracy. Your rifle may end up shooting much better though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never owned an Anschutz so couldn't compare the two, but if yours is anything like my old Kimber of OR you will not be disappointed in the least. The trigger on mine adjusted down to a very crisp 22 ounces. That's a sample of one but its brother Model 84 .223 also has a trigger that adjusted down safely to the pound and a half range.

The magazines are scarce and expensive. One 5 rounder just sold for $50 on the classifieds here and the same seller is asking a cool $100 for a single ten rounder. I sold two ten rounders for a bit over $100 some 6-7 years ago.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'd keep at least one of the spare magazines. Never saw the point in only having one magazine for any magazine-fed firearm. Sometimes the get damaged or misplaced, and you have a hard time finding another in the future.
My Kimber of Oregon is a Model 82 Custom Classic in .22 Hornet and doesn't disappoint in the least! And yes, I have a spare mag for it.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I don't know that I would "expect" Anschutz accuracy out of your Kimber but there are some that are. Have "heard" that accuracy out of the Kimbers (Oregon) can be exceptional to mediocre. I have three Kimber of Oregon rifles - one Super America, one varmit and one 82G. The SA and 82G are with my 54 sporters the varmit is a little less so but fairly accurate. You will enjoy it I'm sure!!

PennDog

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have an 82G with which I've shot better groups than my 1710HB which sports a 24X Sightron.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1 1/4lb trigger on the 82G, that target was shot with the original aperture sights and circa 1949 eyeballs, at 50 yards.

Rich

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I briefly tested this rifle today. Trigger was not adjusted down and my 3-9x36 Sightron big sky was slightly touching the barrel. I assumed the first outing would be a bust. Put 5 rounds of Center-X into a tiny hole at 50 yards. By tiny I mean a slightly enlarged single point of impact. I am guessing would measure in the low .1's or possibly under .1". Also put 9 into a .25ish hole with one out that opened it into the upper .3" range. I own 2 54 sporters and have owned several other real nice 22's. None have produced a single tiny hole ever. I will post a pic or two. To say I was surprised with the Kimber's performance would be an understatement. The bolt seems much flimsier than a 54 or CZ. Did not appear to matter even a little bit.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
SWEET! That is a fine shooting rifle for sure and obviously aren't going to find anything better than that in a sporter!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My late brother had s/n501 which a factory guy told him was the second one to leave the factory ( don't know if it's true, but it's what the guy told him). He had one small issue with the extractors, easily fixed. It was a shootin' son-of-gun, at least with the Eleys he used to feed it. In the right light you could see the bullets against the target for an instant, and then the hole appear. Don't know where it's at now, as his widow is very "cagey" about his stuff. My fear is that all his fine guns are rusting away in some storage building somewhere.

Anyway, whatever you paid, a good one is a fine rifle indeed. Enjoy it. It's only money.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Above mentioned model 82A 5 shots @50y with Center X

Second photo is 10 shot group with spoiler that opened a less than .25" group into slightly under a .5" group.

Was concerned that this rifle was a dumb and redundant purchase as already had 2 54 sporters. The Kimber may prove to outshoot the Annie's.

I also sighted in a 452 American that I purchased for a friend and his son. It produced 5 shot groups between .28" and .55" with SK Rifle Match. Thrilled with that result as well.

Attached Images
20160425_220639-640x640.jpg (62.94 KB, 76 downloads)
20160425_221829-480x853.jpg (73.12 KB, 76 downloads)
Last edited by bonefish; 04/25/16.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Ryszzard
I have an 82G with which I've shot better groups than my 1710HB which sports a 24X Sightron.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

1 1/4lb trigger on the 82G, that target was shot with the original aperture sights and circa 1949 eyeballs, at 50 yards.

Rich
Originally Posted by Ryszzard
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rich

Nice! I have seen some of the 82g's that shoot well and others that do not shoot as good as they look like they would.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I once had a Kimber of Oregon .22 sporter. Nice looking gun. Finally traded it, now have a Cooper.

The Kimber could never shoot with the Cooper, this one is a keeper.

I've also had Anschutz, Win 52 and even a 40X Sporter with a clip. The Cooper is the only one still here, the rest went down the road. Those other were either too heavy, or for some reason got traded. The Cooper trigger is as good as any of those and it is as accurate as any of those.

The 40X had a very tight, target chamber not friendly to hunting ammo. I didn't like the bolt handle on the 52. The Anchultz was OK, just liked the Cooper better.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I will probably end up trying a Cooper. I would also like a 1712 barreled action put into a classic style McMillan stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Cooper is well thought out and well executed, a very satisfying rifle, IMO.

They're sorta expensive, but really not considering what you get.

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Comments for old time sakes... On swingshift, only four guys in the plant, three guys would work up 75 of these stocks a night, 5 nights a week, from blank thru finish sanding... One guy traced an outline, bandsawed the blank, ran it thru an automated duplicator called a Zukerman, then inlet via a CNC mill and then cut the ends on radial arm saw, and installed IIRC threaded inserts on the butt end. Plenty to keep him running. Next day, the two other guys grabbed them, mounted just one butt spacer - to use as a guide and (IIRC) the rail it would ship with. Hit the machine sanders... Eyeball the forearm tip square, grind the butt to the plate, roll the forearm flat round and parallel.... Work up the whole batch like that. Flying 80 grit, 12' belt 5hp running away from you and the other rig was a 4" belt coming at you on an open wheel to carve around the grip. Then take them for a couple turns on pneumatic drum sanders, both 3" and 6", 80 then 120. Then mount up on a dummy action, fill any holes with super glue and walnut dust, (we had plenty of that), and orbital sand like a fiend, 120, 220, 320, done - grab another... Get'm done and clean up. The faster you could get thru it all, the more time you had to play around in a gun factory, err at least the lead guys had time to play... laugh

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bonefish
I briefly tested this rifle today. Trigger was not adjusted down and my 3-9x36 Sightron big sky was slightly touching the barrel. I assumed the first outing would be a bust. Put 5 rounds of Center-X into a tiny hole at 50 yards. By tiny I mean a slightly enlarged single point of impact. I am guessing would measure in the low .1's or possibly under .1". Also put 9 into a .25ish hole with one out that opened it into the upper .3" range. I own 2 54 sporters and have owned several other real nice 22's. None have produced a single tiny hole ever. I will post a pic or two. To say I was surprised with the Kimber's performance would be an understatement. The bolt seems much flimsier than a 54 or CZ. Did not appear to matter even a little bit.

Still feel you overpaid?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by bonefish

Still feel you overpaid?

I paid more than it was worth on the open market but got a ringer 👍🏽

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,293 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.