Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Curious, do any of you guys work for an employer who contributes to a 401k on your behalf? If so, what percentage do they contribute or is it a dollar for dollar match of a certain percentage you put in?

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Curious, do any of you guys work for an employer who contributes to a 401k on your behalf? If so, what percentage do they contribute or is it a dollar for dollar match of a certain percentage you put in?

1 for 1 for the first 5%. but they wait until the end of the year to do it and if you quit one day before the disbursement you lose the whole year.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch
At 51, I really can't even fathom completely retiring. We work with innovative, "can't be done" stuff on a routine basis. I'd go bonkers if I ware forced to sit in a boat and fish for months on end. There's way to many problems to solve to just sit and play pinochle on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Besides, the dogs like the farm too much.......

I'm sure I'll slow down a lot, and the younger crowd gets to do the heavy lifting, but I really can't imagine a better way to spend my time than what I do right now.

Oh, and when I die, I want to take all my money with me. Just write a check for the value of the estate and drop it in the casket before lighting the fire......

I had always heard that the successful man is not the guy who dies owning a million dollars but the guy who dies owing a million... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rule #1: Stay single.
Rule #2: Have fun, stay single.
Rule #3: If you need rule #3, its too late.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Oh yeah, never ever let someone else manage your money.

I'm with you there.

Most of my "growth" and "bottom line" is real estate related. It's tangible and local; I can "kick the tires" with hands on involvement.

You gotta do what's in your comfort zone, what you are at peace with. Everyone is different, one size doesn't fit all.

And at the end, we all end up with about the same sized real estate plot... wink

The only lasting thing is relationships, first with our Maker then others in our lives. I've yet to see a Brinks trucks in a funeral procession.

And how we live our lives depends on how many come to pay last respects, how many come to "make sure"... shocked

DF

Man, there are some pearls there Mr DF. Great stuff, and oh so true.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
As for me , I never found a rental property I thought was worth the money and hassle to fix up. I decided to get some REIT's instead. I got AGNC, that pays 12.75 % dividends monthly. The price has stayed from $19 when I bought 6 months ago, then 5 months ago I payed $18 and one month ago I payed $18.12 The price is 18.25 today. So, I have been getting about 13% on my REIT. I have another REIT and it gives 7.1% div. monthly. I guess, the price might go down but it has alway payed monthly div. and reinvested monthly. I also get a div check from GNL. I payed $10 per share but is only worth $8.50 now. If you buy GNL now, you will get about 8% monthly div check. They dont reinvest the div. though. Just a thought for someone that does not have 50k to put in a rental. I have 10k in one account and get $104 per month reinvest dividends , but the dividends over the last 6 months are starting to reinvest and multiply, and it multiplies fast at 13%. This was the original thread , compound interest.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/28/16.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by djs
Time and a little luck. You'll get some picks wrong, but it only takes a handful of picks to be right and you'll do very well if you go very long. I don't like mutual funds, index funds, etc. I pick stocks and ride them either into the ground or to wealth. Tough to do though if you are a fearful person.

Kinda like doubling down on a bet when you've already lost a lot of money. Just like in golf, pay the safe shots; risky shots often lead to a ball in the rough or water.

You have to take on some risk at some point in time.

"You have to take on some risk at some point in time."

Yes, life comes with risk; the secret of any success is to control what you can (e.g., investment expenses) and diversify (braod based index funds win).

Remember Enron, a company that could only keep going up? Some put all they had on this winning horse and lost it all. Even when Enron went kaput, index fund investors felt barely a ripple.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Life comes with risks, but you don't have to stand out in the traffic...

If a deal sounds too good, think...

Ole Bernie Madoff paid some really handsome dividends, was a legend during his reign as financial guru, par excellence.

All was Kosher until the "music stopped", those left standing got burned, bad.

Enough greed to go around, Bernie and his "pigeons".

Some made money and got out, some couldn't get enough and stayed in. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered...

Buyer beware...

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dutch,

Maybe a dozen years ago I somehow ended up fishing with a guy who'd worked in a refinery until he retired in his mid-60's. His life-long ambition was to fish every day, not just on days off, so every day he drove around 150 miles, round-trip, to fish one hole on the Bighorn River here in Montana. He knew that hole really well, because within three casts I caught a really nice brown trout following his directions.
But I can't imagine a life spent doing the same job every day, so you can retire and follow exactly the same routine every day, no matter how much you like fishing!

But he seemed very happy. We're all different.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs
Time and a little luck. You'll get some picks wrong, but it only takes a handful of picks to be right and you'll do very well if you go very long. I don't like mutual funds, index funds, etc. I pick stocks and ride them either into the ground or to wealth. Tough to do though if you are a fearful person.

Kinda like doubling down on a bet when you've already lost a lot of money. Just like in golf, pay the safe shots; risky shots often lead to a ball in the rough or water.

Yes, life comes with risk; the secret of any success is to control what you can (e.g., investment expenses) and diversify (braod based index funds win).

Remember Enron, a company that could only keep going up? Some put all they had on this winning horse and lost it all. Even when Enron went kaput, index fund investors felt barely a ripple.

Yes and Amen.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs

Yes, that works both ways though. When a stock does really well, an index fund also barely feels a ripple. My grandpa picked stocks, my dad picked stocks, and I pick stocks. You don't take everything you own and stick it in a single stock. Spend 5k here, 10k there, and in the long term you own some really high quality companies, most of whom pay a good dividend that you reinvest.

Amazing how folks will sign on the dotted line to buy a house for all kinds of money, but are too afraid to pick stocks. You can lose a pile of money on a house.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW, lots of folks, myself included have been buying ATT (T) for what was the 5.5% dividend yield, since the banks aren't paying crap for interest. We were getting in around $32-34 a share for a long time. Just looked and shares have appreciated to over $38 a share. So not only have we been getting 5%+ we have some very nice share appreciation.

Lots of very nice blue chips to make a good yield on since the banks ain't paying crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The secret is to save money and invest it in the right stock(s).

My father invested in PacCar and Microsoft.
I invested in Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Apple.

My father told me that when Merrill Lynch calls, 95% of the time their pitch is bs, but you have to listen, so when you hear something real you can jump on it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With a tepid economy posting a .5% for Q1 2016 indicate what have to look forward to, its best you maximize your investment dollar. I maintain that the average person doesn't have the aptitude or time to perform the needed research. Not a "put down" just stating the truth.
Therefore a licensed advisor, one who is not fee based is what you need. I say that because too many times the advisor has you buying in and out of investments - all the while earning a commission for the transactions. He/she may not have your best interests at heart. You should interview 2-4 persons and see who appears to come off as a good fit.
A big "no brainer" that people don't maximize to the extent of the company match is the 401K style investment.
As always, "time" and not "timing" is your friend.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by Dutch
At 51, I really can't even fathom completely retiring. We work with innovative, "can't be done" stuff on a routine basis. I'd go bonkers if I ware forced to sit in a boat and fish for months on end. There's way to many problems to solve to just sit and play pinochle on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Besides, the dogs like the farm too much.......

I'm sure I'll slow down a lot, and the younger crowd gets to do the heavy lifting, but I really can't imagine a better way to spend my time than what I do right now.

Oh, and when I die, I want to take all my money with me. Just write a check for the value of the estate and drop it in the casket before lighting the fire......

I had always heard that the successful man is not the guy who dies owning a million dollars but the guy who dies owing a million... wink

"I had always heard that the successful man is not the guy who dies owning a million dollars but the guy who dies owing a million... "

If correct, there are a lot of successful men in the US today!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Therefore a licensed advisor, one who is not fee based is what you need. I say that because too many times the advisor has you buying in and out of investments - all the while earning a commission for the transactions.

Am I right that you DO advise a "fee only" advisor, as opposed to a commission based advisor?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My father told me that when Merrill Lynch calls, 95% of the time their pitch is bs, but you have to listen, so when you hear something real you can jump on it.

You got good advice.

It makes you wonder who they really working for.... crazy

Surely not the client... frown

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My Dad told me never to invest in the stock market but to buy and invest in real estate, Unfortunately my companies 401k will not allow me to do that in an effective fashion.

My Dad lives in West Palm Beach and retired quite nicely

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My Dad told me never to invest in the stock market but to buy and invest in real estate, Unfortunately my companies 401k will not allow me to do that in an effective fashion.

My Dad lives in West Palm Beach and retired quite nicely

Here is MY real estate anecdote.

I bought an apartment building in 1990.

The bathroom floors kept getting rotten. I think I pulled up every bathroom floor in that building one time or another. I crippled in floor joist repair, patched up the underlayment, put on new vinyl flooring, put on baseboards, caulked around the edges, and put the toilet back in.

Meanwhile I bought Microsoft stock.
The stock cost 4% of what the building cost, but made 3X as much money... with no toilets to fix.

I sold the building in 2000.
I spent the money in 2004 on the Google IPO.
Those $100 shares are worth $1400 now. Not as good as microsoft did for me in the 90s, but I will take it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damnit Clark you made some great calls

Congrats

I'd be tempted after the fact to follow you but you're due for an Enron after a run like that!

Jk. Happy for you, you picked some great stocks

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 04/29/16.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.