Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This Warren Buffett rule can work wonders on your portfolio

By Jeremy C. Miller - MarketWatch - Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Ask Warren Buffett for the single most powerful factor behind his investing success, and he’d respond “compound interest” — without skipping a beat.

He’s been preaching this for six decades, and it’s made him a billionaire. And it’s something every investor can copy.

Beginning in 1956, Buffett spent 14 years as partner of Buffett Partners Ltd., the hedge-fund-like entity he ran before dedicating himself fully as Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s chairman and CEO. This also marked the beginning of his side career as a teacher.

Buffett has always liked writing letters to teach investing principles. Using his typical wit and easy-to-understand style, he started his first lesson on compound interest to the inventors in his partnership by humorously calling into question the soundness of Queen Isabella’s decision to fund Christopher Columbus’s expedition to find a new route to Asia. “Aside from the psychic income associated with discovering the New World,” he wrote in a letter in 1963, “it wasn’t exactly another IBM (a stock that was doing very well at the time).”

As he figured, had the queen opted instead to invest the $30,000 at 4% instead, it would be worth over $7 trillion today. Such is the remarkable power of compound interest, which Einstein called the eighth wonder of the world. Even modest amounts, when allowed to compound at relatively low rates but over long periods of time, add up to really staggering sums.

Buffett was intent on pounding this idea into his partners’ understanding of what matters in investing.

His second story on compound interest takes a look at King Francis’ decision to commission the Mona Lisa in 1516. The math works out to show that Ferdinand’s $20,000 would be worth well over a $1 quadrillion if he’d only manage to invest it at a 6% annual rate instead.

Buffett said he hoped this figures would “close the discussion of art as in our home” (his late wife was a collector and gallery owner for a time).

In yet another humorous letter on compounding, Buffett inspects who got the better deal, Peter Minuit or the Manhattan Indians, who sold their island for $24 In 1626. When he wrote the letter in 1965, Buffett figured the land value of the island was $12.5 billion, which worked out to a 6.12% compounded annual gain. Not bad. However, had the “Tribal Mutual Fund” managed to earn 6.5% instead, their $24 would have been worth $42 billion. If they could have squeaked out yet another half-percentage point a year and get 7%, the value jumps to $205 billion.

This is Buffett’s way of demonstrating the enormous impact from even modestly higher rates of compounding over long periods of time. An extra percentage point a year may not seem like a lot when viewed in isolation, but as you can see from the example, the cumulative impact of a minor change can be enormous.

Acting rationally, consistently, while harnessing the power of compound interest over a very long period of time is what has made Buffett perhaps the most successful investor of all time. Why not harness it for yourself? Start early and think long term.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I started when I was 23 fresh out of college. Absorbed the first couple of annual salary increases dumping the funds into Fidelity. This was in 1985. The above is spot on, of course.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Your personal testimony to the truth of the piece is also powerful. "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was informed of this in my younger days. I knew it, I believed it and yet, I failed to follow it. My retirement looks sparse at best.

You youngsters especially heed this information and put it to use. You would be surprised how little each month, when you start at a younger age, turns into a large amount.

My wife and I will be playing catch up for the rest of our pre-retirement. Not a pretty picture.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, indeed. My wife and I started at $100 a month when I was only making $800 as a young lieutenant. It astounds me to no end to realize that our net worth now starts with the word "multi."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Compounding interest and TIME!

The other secret of Warren Buffett is just as simple. He follows it in all of his major moves.

1.) Sit on a pile of cash.

2.) When a company you like goes on sale (becomes undervalued), buy it!

3.) Count your winnings.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[size:23pt]
His second story on compound interest takes a look at King Francis’ decision to commission the Mona Lisa in 1516. The math works out to show that Ferdinand’s $20,000 would be worth well over a $1 quadrillion if he’d only manage to invest it at a 6% annual rate instead.

Warren also needs to show me where I can get a guaranteed 6% every year for 400 years. Not even Berkshire Hathaway has that kind of record.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

Warren also needs to show me where I can get a gauranteed 6% every year for 400 years. Not even Berkshire Hathaway has that kind of record.

So do you disagree with the power of compounding because of his entertaining and anecdotal example?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The wiseguy would now ask hatari what he plans to be doing in 400 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The wiseguy would now ask hatari what he plans to be doing in 400 years.

Hey, it's his example! No sense of humor around here some days. Jeez.

It is well known that expecting a 6% return every year is a pipe dream. Compounding interest is wonderful. Albert Einstein said “Compound interest is the eighth wonder of the world. He who understands it, earns it ... he who doesn't ... pays it.”

That's why you should start saving young. I funded a Roth IRA for my kids before they started school. 60 years of compounding interest for them.

For the record, I am heavily invested in BRK-B. It has served me well over the past 20 years. Might want to lighten up and have a look at what Warren is doing.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It kinda cuts both ways, my friend. Your objection to the example was equally inane. But let's just shrug and move on.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Warren also needs to show me where I can get a guaranteed 6% every year for 400 years. Not even Berkshire Hathaway has that kind of record.

Bingo

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Kind of hard to get them numbers when they are paying .002-.003 at most banks.

I do have funds that we went to after the banks made the decision to not pay for saving money with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456

I do have funds that we went to after the banks made the decision to not pay for saving money with them.

It's an either or prospect. Everybody (myself included) wants to borrow money for auto loans, home mortgages, etc. at low rates; but, nobody wants their savings to earn so little interest. It will come around again where money will be loaned again in double digit rates and then, we will make higher rates on our savings.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Compound interest and TIME. If you are already 65 years old, you are too late.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What interest? 0.03% compound that. You have to do your own due diligence. Just like Winchesters there are no rules.

The only frizzin' thing you need to know:
Buy low…………Sell high.

Works for me.

Something bought "right" is 1/2 sold.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes, indeed. My wife and I started at $100 a month when I was only making $800 as a young lieutenant. It astounds me to no end to realize that our net worth now starts with the word "multi."

Yep. In fact, we are in the throes of updating our trust to set up appropriate "charities" to receive a chunk as we do not want to leave it all to the boys. We are thinking scholarship funds, college endowments and the like.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Compounding interest and TIME!

The other secret of Warren Buffett is just as simple. He follows it in all of his major moves.

1.) Sit on a pile of cash.

2.) When a company you like goes on sale (becomes undervalued), buy it!

3.) Count your winnings.

I think he also said something along the lines of when there is blood in the street (people dumping stock) buy, and when your barber is giving you stock tips - sell.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The single most powerful factor behind successful investing?
----------------

Timing and luck.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by plainsman456

The single most powerful part of investing is the INVESTING part.

Saving is NOT investing. You can't get a guaranteed 6% anywhere, but you can get an AVERAGE return of over 10% if you invest in the stock market. That's a 100 year track record.

$100 per month starting at age 20, invest it in the stock market, and by retirement age, you'll be a millionaire.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I mentioned, Dutch: I did and I am. (It still blows my ever-loving mind to try to grasp that.)

But if you are in your 20s, let it be a lesson to you: you CAN do it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Compound interest is a very elementary, and practical way to make money, at least in theory. Like hatari said, no way to average 6-7% interest every year.

I don't recall any of the wealthiest of the wealthy that made their fortunes in the stock market anyway. They made it by inheriting it, in business, etc, not Wall St.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I wasn't in the army but I can easily say my net worth is easily multi-hundreds, not many can make the same claim. Saving can't be emphasized enough...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I wasn't in the army but I can easily say my net worth is easily multi-hundreds, not many can make the same claim. Saving and investing with a mix in the stock market/bonds, etc., can't be emphasized enough...

That is a fact. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I wasn't in the army but I can easily say my net worth is easily multi-hundreds, not many can make the same claim. Saving can't be emphasized enough...

I bet you have a $ 1 million in stories?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Compound interest is a very elementary, and practical way to make money, at least in theory. Like hatari said, no way to average 6-7% interest every year.

I don't recall any of the wealthiest of the wealthy that made their fortunes in the stock market anyway. They made it by inheriting it, in business, etc, not Wall St.

Inheriting is the best... smile

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I heard an interesting thought at a talk about investing.

Question #1 How much can you lose when you invest?

Answer: 100% Obviously you can lose it all but no more than 100%

Question #2 How much can you gain by investing?

Answer: Potentially many THOUSANDS of %.

That thought helped me get going quite a few years ago.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The OP was not about being the wealthy of the wealthiest or even wealthy rather being able to retire financially sound, to be able to live at least as well as one did while working. Few will be able to do that unfortunately.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Often...simple, boring and consistent allotments is a recipe that works out to be the needed method. Understanding and learning fees associated with certain funds, and picking those funds based on long term value, is a strategy.

Ameriprise, TSP life cycle, various tangibles and a little real estate here.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why do people refuse to accept the fact that the average return in the US stock market over the last 100 years is more than 10%. Over the last 50 years it is more than 10%.

10% is more than 6%. That difference, after applying compound interest, is the difference between retiring comfortably and retiring stinking rich.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Single most powerful factor? Consistency. Think tortoise and the hare. Think compounding interest over time. But it is the very rare person that can do this on their own. Get an advisor you like and not one who is "fee based" seller, but one who profits from your earnings.
Be nimble and diverse. Investments aren't something you buy or invest in and forget. There will be a time to re-balance, which means sell and move to something else. Some mutual fund managers re-balance within an individual fund. Your advisor's job is to be up on new market features that benefit you.
Your goals will change as you grow older. In general, the older you get the more conservative your investments should become.
But consistency is the key.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dutch

Why do people refuse to accept the fact that the average return in the US stock market over the last 100 years is more than 10%. Over the last 50 years it is more than 10%.

10% is more than 6%. That difference, after applying compound interest, is the difference between retiring comfortably and retiring stinking rich.....

That Wall Street model is what costs Americans Billion$. They have always told their clients that you look at the long haul, not short term. They (Wall Street) will also tell you that over time with the market fluctuations, your principle will double on the average of seven years. Another lie, if it was true, I would have over 3X the money in my 401 that I have now.

It is a fact, that if I did, with someone else's money, what Wall Street did with mine, I would be in prison...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
GUNS.

I bought a near mint Python from an Army Reserve buddy in the mid '70's for $185. He was in a bind, needed cash.

Those guns are moving in the $3,500 range today.

Put that up against the stock market, gold, silver, etc..

Not even close...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shrap, don't know what to say, but you're doing it wrong. I've only been investing for about 20 years, most all of it in Vanguard's total stock market index funds. Right at 9% lifetime return.

Lately, playing a little with international funds and energy funds (buy low). We'll see how smart I really am in about 5-7 years...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shrap, don't know what to say, but you're doing it wrong. I've only been investing for about 20 years, most all of it in Vanguard's total stock market index funds. Right at 9% lifetime return.

Lately, playing a little with international funds and energy funds (buy low). We'll see how smart I really am in about 5-7 years...

I haven't been doing it wrong, D A Davidson is doing it wrong. If you think I am happy and want to prove you wrong, you are mistaken. According to their formula, you should have 4 times what you had 14 years ago.

If you do, their formula sure works better for you than for me. I am stuck with investing through the employer with a firm that has lots of agents that sit on the ground floor so when they jump out the window in a down market, they won't get hurt...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There are dozens of dividend reinvestment plans that charge no fees.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
The reason more people don't do what Buffet recommends, and what RockyRaab (and me) apparently did, is that it involves sacrificing X today for Y tomorrow, where Y is much larger than X. "I'd rather go out drinking with the boys tonight than study for my course" or "I'd rather buy another TV than more savings." Eat the goose now instead of getting golden eggs later.

More recently, though, the Obamunists have really screwed this up by deliberately and artificially keeping interest rates so low. The CEO of Black Rock has estimated that it now takes three times as much savings and investment to have a secure retirement as it did just a few years ago.

The advantage of low interest fates , from the Obamunists' position, is that the Feds have to pay far fewer billions on Treasury Bill interest, and, secondly, they effectively take more wealth out of the hands of the people. where does it go? To the government. And nobody even knows they're doing it.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

If "investment advisers" , old school" fiduciaries", maybe excepted, knew a friggin' thing about investing…they would not be selling their services.

or trying to sell you an annuity.

Buy low……..sell high.

most "investors " get it backwards.

I sold a bit of equities before '08…..but what I kept…I kept.

I think there is a relationship between Bernie voters and the huge amount of people , living on SS.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Low interest, inflation and monetary devaluation in general is a stealth tax that we all pay. It's the govt. hedging it's position at the expense of ours and promising us more of the same. And, we seem to keep buying more and more of what they're "selling".

I think the political revolt we're seeing with Bernie and The Donald reflects the distrust and disgust the electorate has for the govt. "system" as currently operating.

It ain't about us, but it may be...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I haven't been doing it wrong, D A Davidson is doing it wrong. If you think I am happy and want to prove you wrong, you are mistaken. According to their formula, you should have 4 times what you had 14 years ago.

If you do, their formula sure works better for you than for me. I am stuck with investing through the employer with a firm that has lots of agents that sit on the ground floor so when they jump out the window in a down market, they won't get hurt...

Sorry, man, that sucks....... My main Vanguard fund has an expense ratio of 0.05% per year........ I know I doubled the last five years, I'll have to look and see what I did at the 10 and 15 year mark. I tend to not look at it --- the market doesn't effect my choices. Last Fall was the first time I actually moved money out of the index fund to a sector fund.

Managed funds, target date funds, loaded funds.....all increase the costs of investing. Very, very, very few manage to beat the index funds in the long term. It has been done, but it's a rare thing.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
GUNS.

I bought a near mint Python from an Army Reserve buddy in the mid '70's for $185. He was in a bind, needed cash.

Not even close...

DF

That was my underlying point. Assets build wealth, not the stock market. You may hit a few years worth of up an up market if you're lucky.

I know loads of folks with huge $$$$. None of them made it playing the market.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I bought this book in April 2015 and converted my 401(K) and both IRAs to it. I have been very pleased with the results, especially how they handled the Aug 2015 correction. Things are really beginning to pick up steam now. Thurman has an office here in OKC, and I am going to stop by and talk to him about becoming our advisor. My wife is a little antsy about everything if I were to kick the bucket.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The All-Weather Retirement Portfolio: Your post-retirement investment guide to a worry-free income for life Paperback – March 23, 2015
by Randy L. Thurman

You can have it all--not just more income to spend in your retirement years, but also the peace of mind that comes from knowing that, no matter what happens in the outside world, you've done all you can do to have a worry-free income for life.

In this book you'll find:
- 9 steps to build a portfolio that will survive the Perfect Financial Storm, so you can stop worrying about the economy, the latest financial catastrophe, or what the market did today

- 2 questions you must answer before you invest another dime

- Why investing after you retire is radically different from investing while you're still working

- The life expectancy of 6 key types of investments--and what you can do to make them last as long as you do

- The 10 essential questions you must ask a financial advisor--before you hire one

- The exact amount of money you can withdraw without worry or guilt, knowing you've applied the best available research to ensure you'll never run out of money.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Weather-R...rds=The+All-Weather+Retirement+Portfolio

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The way to certainly get what the market produces is to be in index funds.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The exercise is not about being mega wealthy

Though first we need to define wealthy

I used to think havin a million meant you were set for life and a million in 76 when I entered the work force for real would have pretty well had you there

A million today?

Hardly a lot of security in that number from my perspective.

2 million? Better, probably comfortable, but not wealthy

Rocky & Ed have given us examples of real world investing not touting to be the smartest guys in the room but disciplined and how systematic investing has allowed them to be very comfortable if indeed not above average comfortable in their results and subsequent lifestyles for when they no longer wanted to be part of the workforce

It's salt in the wound to most of us this age because if we haven't done the same its too late for us to match their results

I've not made much money in the market. I've avoided some big losses but I've avoided even bigger gains

I'm a control freak, and not very trusting of huge institutions be it wall st. Big banks or religious institutions

I've invested in our own businesses and re and we've been fortunate with the returns on both

But I believe even if it's too late for many of us to follow Ed & Rocky's plan, there's a valuable lesson to be gained from observing their real world results

We've got a dab of money & plan on setting up Roth IRAs in no to low load mutual funds for our kids

If the world goes to hades it won't matter if that money is lost, but if the world continues to roll on I expect commerce to play a role in the world

Owning shares of good companies will probably still play a vital role in most people's ability to retire in comfort if not wealth

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am limited in what i can say on these kind of posts for various reasons but i agree with buffett. The worst action usually is no action.
However, i remember a meeting i had to sit in on some years ago when a reprentative of a very well known mutual fund company was doint their spiel.
they had pretty charts, everything, and showed what 10k invested in say 1932 would have done up to the present day if put into three of their funds. I am sure it was all quite true.
I didn't win any favors with my remark, when did the funds even gain back to their original investment amount? Answer was sometime in the 40's. And my remark, okay well what if i was 70 in 1932 and did that i wouldn't be whole until well after i was worm foot. They were kind of quiet.
There is a lot of simplicity in many ways in approaching investing, and more than one right way. Luck has something to do with it. But the absolute best way to not gain anything is to do nothing.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ron, your point is absolutely valid. The stock market typically makes it's gains in very short, intense spurts, and there are long, long stretches in between where it does nothing. If you have a 10 year horizon, the stock market is very risky. 15 years? Much less risky. 20 years? I'm all in.

On the other hand, even 20 years is no guarantee. The Japanese stock market was at 35,000 in the late 80's. Now it's at 17,000 something. If you have all your money in the Japanese stock market even if you were 50 in 1990, you are SCREWED.

So, diversification is needed. We can still do that with index funds, like international funds, we can do that with real estate. Not a big fan of commodities, metals and such. Some people like collectables, but I would limit my exposure there. Pretty fickle in most cases.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ron, what you witnessed is what I call DECEIT BY SELECTIVE REPORTING.

I would have asked that rep how many funds they started that were no longer in existence because they had been selectively flushed, so only rosy ones could be advertised.

Soli Deo Gloria

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late in life I learned THE WAY from a generous, kind and brilliant man.

PAY YOURSELF FIRST.

Set aside--never to be spent--1 dime from every dollar you receive from any source . At first the $ can go into a coffee can; then perhaps a savings account; then a stock account; then real estate, a business, etc, for example. This 10% never gets spent--only invested--an investment against which you can collateralize a loan, if you wish.

By paying yourself first, less than you might give to a disinterested waitress, you unfailingly become wealthy. It cannot fail. Even if some of your investments do poorly, others will take up the heavy lifting. You will never miss the dime you first removed from each dollar--it will still be there, working for you. You will quickly learn how to live on the 90 cents/dollar of income. And you will accumulate wealth and enjoy freedom you can now only imagine.

Thank me later.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
GUNS.

Not even close...

DF

No one's a bigger advocate than me on buying and holding firearms.

But you are correct that the numbers are not even close.
Your $185 invested in the S&P index in 1975 would provide more than enough to purchase 3 of those Pythons today (if you could find them, and before Uncle Sam taxed the crap out of your capital gain).

Oh, to be young again. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Late in life I learned THE WAY from a generous, kind and brilliant man.

PAY YOURSELF FIRST.

Set aside--never to be spent--1 dime from every dollar you receive from any source . At first the $ can go into a coffee can; then perhaps a savings account; then a stock account; then real estate, a business, etc, for example. This 10% never gets spent--only invested--an investment against which you can collateralize a loan, if you wish.

By paying yourself first, less than you might give to a disinterested waitress, you unfailingly become wealthy. It cannot fail. Even if some of your investments do poorly, others will take up the heavy lifting. You will never miss the dime you first removed from each dollar--it will still be there, working for you. You will quickly learn how to live on the 90 cents/dollar of income. And you will accumulate wealth and enjoy freedom you can now only imagine.

Thank me later.

I'll thank you now on behalf of any young guys reading this.

it's indeed the first principle of financial freedom.

Richest Man in Babylon

got the book when I was 21-23 years old or so. Made a huge difference.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by isaac
----------------

Timing and luck.

Sorry Bob, terrible advice. ;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey don't be telling Bob about luck

Bob knows luck

why if it were raining whores, Bob would get hit with a ???? grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A dick?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2l2q--thanks and you're welcome.

You'd think this would be easy to teach our young. But too many would rather get free chit from .gov.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That Wall Street model is what costs Americans Billion$. They have always told their clients that you look at the long haul, not short term. They (Wall Street) will also tell you that over time with the market fluctuations, your principle will double on the average of seven years. Another lie, if it was true, I would have over 3X the money in my 401 that I have now.

It is a fact, that if I did, with someone else's money, what Wall Street did with mine, I would be in prison...

I'm in the invest in ch!t you know something about camp. If you bought $1000 of nasdaq in 2000, you would $1000 today, with inflation about $600. I average 7%-10% annual returns buying, fixing, renting real estate depending on the market. Buy low sell high and manage your own rentals in between. It's a PITA and a lot of work, but I make my own decisions that control my outcome. wallstreet is a rigged game, and not in our favor.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Stormin, I don't disagree about investing in what you know.

Wallstreet is, however not a rigged game. If you buy an index fund, you will get what the market produces. Over time, it grows.

I must add, what is rigged is managed funds, picking stocks, and timing the market.

Last edited by oldtrapper; 04/27/16. Reason: add comment

Soli Deo Gloria

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Sure are a lot of good posts here. I never did good in the market. I did good for a while 30 yrs ago , put it in Tech stocks in 2000 and lost what I gained. At 9.5% interest on my house , I thought , heck, pay the house . It's a9.5% guarantee. Now that my house wis payed for 7 yrs now. I am investing in the market. My biggest mistake was a bank talked me into loaded funds. ( FKUSX) in 9/2011. Bad move . Next , my wife that worked at a bank is where we went. More loaded Franklin funds. He at least steered us straight with half decent fund, but still loaded. Next, a referal from some friends. An investor in town, and more loaded funds, non traded reits and more loaded mutual funds loaded with oil in June 2014. ( guess how well that fund is doing) . I decided to go on my own with Fidelity . I was down 25K when I left the investment firm in Oct. 2015 . AS of last week I am dead even. Today 2-3 K ahead. I have y own portfolio I did mostly on my own. I am slowly going into index , ETF or stocks cause I learned very fast how expensive high load / expense ratios kill returns. Here is my portfolio. Is it normal or is it all wacked out?
My son is smarter than I . He has about 3K in a roth and barely 19 yrs , 1/2 BP, 1/2 FKDNX.

Here is my portfolio.

AGNC - Mortgage reit. 11% up about 10% or so . Bought 6 months ago. 13% div.

BP OIL 13% up 10% since bought 6 months ago 7.7% div.

ETGLX MID CAP growth 3% down 2% or so

fbiox BIOTECH 4.4% down 20% in since bought 1 yr ago

fbsox IT 3% up 3% in 6 months

FKINX OIL? BONDS 15.4% down 5% ( bought 2 yrs ago. OIL 5.4% div.

FMEIX madcap blend 1.2% even

focpx TECH growth 6.3% up 10%

FREL realestate (ETF) 1.4% up

fresh realestate 1.4% up

fsphx 1.4% down 10%

JAWWX world stocks 2.9% - 3% ?

PRBLX large cap blend. 19% May go into index fund + 10% in 4 months

NON traded reit American Capital realty 4%

GNL equity reit. 10% dead even , bought 2 yrs ago. 7.1% div.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/27/16.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought 10 shares of Berkshire Hathaway in 1966 after buying 5 of their (then new) permanent press shirts!. I paid about $22/share and in 6 months they went to $29 (a 30+% gain in 6 months!), so I sold them. Today, Berkshire Hathaway sells for $224,00/share!

Today, I only invest in index funds.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

My wife and I started saving for retirement when we were 53 years old and worked until we were 71 and 70. We managed to invest 1/3 of our income and amassed a retirement nest egg of low-mid 7 figures when we retired. We do not touch this, instead we live on social security and my employer annuity. The "retirement" nest egg just keeps growing.

The secret was to live within our means, not buy new cars every few years (our are now 16 years old) and save. We were fortunate to have 2 decent incomes so we could save, but with sacrifice, anyone can do it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs

kwg

My wife and I started saving for retirement when we were 53 years old and worked until we were 71 and 70. We managed to invest 1/3 of our income and amassed a retirement nest egg of low-mid 7 figures when we retired. We do not touch this, instead we live on social security and my employer annuity. The "retirement" nest egg just keeps growing.

The secret was to live within our means, not buy new cars every few years (our are now 16 years old) and save. We were fortunate to have 2 decent incomes so we could save, but with sacrifice, anyone can do it.

Good job!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by isaac
----------------

Timing and luck.

Timing, luck AND investing in index funds. 80% of mutual fund active fund managers fail to beat the S&P 500 index for more than 3 years.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

The US stock market has average 10.1% growth since 1929 - BUT, 1929 was the start of the Great Depression whereby many large cap funds (railroads, steel, etc.) were busted to mid-cap stocks. Since then they grew to their previous standing.

Also, the 10.1% growth rate assumes that the investor did not withdraw dividends (i.e., spend them) but re-invested them.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

"They (Wall Street) will also tell you that over time with the market fluctuations, your principle will double on the average of seven years."

Using the "Rule of 72", investments will double in 7.2 years, assuming a 10% growth rate. This assumes that investments are in S&P 500 index funds (which have achieved the 10.1% growth rate) and not in bank savings accounts. Index funds are often ridiculed as for losers, but they do work. Many active investors and their advisors, tout superior growth of selected stocks, but who can predict which stocks will grow? I bought Berkshire Hathaway in 1966 at $22/share and sold it 6 months later at $29/share fearing tat it had made it's run. Boy, was I wrong!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs

kwg

I'm impressed. I save 16% (not counting the crapload of money I re-invest in the business). 33% is awesome.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It's interesting that, in the article (index funds) , linked to, Buffet did not have one fund manager that he would entrust his estate to, including his advice for his kids.

When I consider that, along with many other factors, my opinion comes to be that WB is pretty much a crony capitalist and his holdings are diverse enough that the information he is privy to (alluded to in the article) makes his decisions virtual (legal) insider trading. IMO, he would not be going along with øbama's taxation happy talk if he was not getting significant benefits in return. He's not a Republican or Democrat, but a VERY pragmatic investor.

Note, he has always lived well below his means. ;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Time and a little luck. You'll get some picks wrong, but it only takes a handful of picks to be right and you'll do very well if you go very long. I don't like mutual funds, index funds, etc. I pick stocks and ride them either into the ground or to wealth. Tough to do though if you are a fearful person.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Dutch, we were fortunate to have good incomes. We lived on 1/3, paid 1/3 in taxes and saved the final 1/3. We lived pretty good, but didn't squander money (OK, I did buy some decent guns). But, unlike many, we drove older cars, didn't have a beach condo, rarely ate out, packed our lunches for work ,didn't take annual lavish vacations, etc.

It paid off and the money saved will provide well for any emergency in retirement. BTW, we both still work in retirement - the wife does consulting (earned $40 last year) and I work at a golf course (small wage but free golf!). Neither of us know what we'd do if we didn't work; the money isn't important, but the activity is.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
GUNS.

Not even close...

DF

That was my underlying point. Assets build wealth, not the stock market. You may hit a few years worth of up an up market if you're lucky.

I know loads of folks with huge $$$$. None of them made it playing the market.

I agree with you to a point. Assets do build wealth, but at some point in time you'll need a place to stick money where it can grow as your assets bring you surplus cash. A guy only has so much time on his hands, and the stock market is handy for stashing money away for long periods and forgetting about.

A good steady income that grows with spending under control, and an aggressive investing plan is a good recipe for long term wealth and some happy children when you kick the bucket.

Guns btw, in the scheme of things, aren't a very good investment. You might get lucky on the occasional gun, but you'd have to move a pile of guns on a regular basis to make any real money.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
Time and a little luck. You'll get some picks wrong, but it only takes a handful of picks to be right and you'll do very well if you go very long. I don't like mutual funds, index funds, etc. I pick stocks and ride them either into the ground or to wealth. Tough to do though if you are a fearful person.

Kinda like doubling down on a bet when you've already lost a lot of money. Just like in golf, pay the safe shots; risky shots often lead to a ball in the rough or water.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Consider that, as already referenced, 80% of professional fund managers do not beat the market averages (index). And, to beat a no load index fund they need to far exceed the market average, to cover their salaries, advertising, broker's fees and possible generated taxable events. What appears to be fearful for some, is really just good stewardship.

Further, consider the time, your precious life, that it takes, researching all of this, when it could be spent with family or acquiring valuable memories. IT AIN'T WORTH IT, TO ME.

If you won't listen to me, and why should you, listen to Warren Buffet. ;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

Consider that, as already referenced, 80% of professional fund managers do not beat the market averages (index). And, to beat a no load index fund they need to far exceed the market average, to cover their salaries, advertising, broker's fees and possible generated taxable events. What appears to be fearful for some, is really just good stewardship.

Further, consider the time, your precious life, that it takes, researching all of this, when it could be spent with family or acquiring valuable memories. IT AIN'T WORTH IT, TO ME.

If you won't listen to me, and why should you, listen to Warren Buffet. ;-{>8

Index funds have been very popular, and for a reason.. We just pulled out of a big crash and have been on a run for awhile. Hit another bear market for several years or longer and you won't hear people singing Index praises too loudly.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by djs

Kinda like doubling down on a bet when you've already lost a lot of money. Just like in golf, pay the safe shots; risky shots often lead to a ball in the rough or water.

You have to take on some risk at some point in time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Index funds have been very popular, and for a reason.. We just pulled out of a big crash and have been on a run for awhile. Hit another bear market for several years or longer and you won't hear people singing Index praises too loudly.

The last 15 years in the market have actually been pretty "meh" compared to historical rates, but then again, so has inflation.

The stock market moves in spurts, both up and down. If you want to try your luck, you can try and time the spurts, and you can very easily outperform the market. Or lose money handsomely.

Miss one good upswing in your lifetime, and it will cut your lifetime returns as much as 50% (considering compound interest).

THAT is why index funds are popular. They are always in the market.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Bespoke scatterguns…..

order 1 a year.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget to adjust those long term earnings against the dollar index. The dollar index makes the long term return 6%-7% . Right now stocks vs earnings don't look cheap. buy low sell high. I started my retirement investing in the 90's, got pounded in 2000 and then again in 2008 so my perspective may be different than some of you. I've done ok, but my RTI has been way better buying crappy houses and making them into decent houses. It's a lot more work, but less risk. I'm hoping to have enough rentals to replace my income in the my early 50's.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The single most important act is like the saying making the 1st step Open that account and then make regular deposits to it. EdM and Rocky are right on. If your employer offers matching it is always wise to take advantage of that too unless they only offer the company stock and thenit might or might not be worthwhile. As to Investment advice the best I know is figure your investment profile by subtracting your age from 90 and putting that amount into equities and the rest in Fixed investments ( bonds). For example if you are 30 years old you should have about 60% equities and 40% bonds. If you are 60 then have 30% in equities and 70% in bonds. For the small investor you only need three funds a Stock index fund that follows the s&p , A bond index fund, and a money market fund where you can hold a small amount of cash if you wish. These funds should carry a low expense fee and will do as well as all of the managed funds etc. You should realign your portfolio every birthday.
The one thing I find I have issues with the financial planning industry is they are big on telling you to save save save and build up your portfolio. ( the bigger your portfolio the more they make in fees as a rule) They are lousy at helping you plan to spend your money when you retire. Their aim is to maintain your portfolio balance ( their income base) and they are full of dire warning about running out of money etc. to scare you. The issue is do you wish to leave a pot of cash in your estate or do you figure the kids are grown you raised them and educated them so they need to fend for themselves. If its the former you need a lot more money. If its the latter you can do on a lot less. One thing I will point out as an example of how they sort of mislead you is when they say to a 60 -66 year old if you can just work another 4-5 years you'll have so much more $$. The part they don't say is that's about 20%-25% of the time you have left and it most likely the best 20% you have.If you have been saving that probably isn't good advice if you have not you may not have a choice. Think about that. The final piece of financial advice Ill give is even if it means living in a smaller house plan on having it paid for by age 55-60. The American concept of your home as an investment is bad advice. You need a comfortable warm dry place to raise your family and that's what a home is. If you want to invest in real estate thats fine but buy a duplex , apartment etc that produces income. Don't be house poor all your life thinking it will pay off big as an investment.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/27/16.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
. . . Neither of us know what we'd do if we didn't work; the money isn't important, but the activity is.

I agree with this. wink

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I married a smart girl, and worked my ass off, I don't owe anyone or need any money, that being said, I've seen dumbass gamblers that thought they were smart blow a lifetime of hard work and savings planning.

Truly sad to see the fallout from that level of stupid.

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm with you gunner500. Years of hard work, spending way less than I made, and blessing from the Man upstairs allowed me to be 100% debt free, personal and business, at age 41. It ain't rocket science.

Oh yeah, never ever let someone else manage your money. The cash that I do keep is in several accounts at a local FCU.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
One thing I've seen a lot of over the decades is people who worked their ass off at a job they didn't like so they could do the things they wanted in retirement. Instead I chose a job I liked, and did most of the things I dreamed about in life as part of my job, so they were business expenses, or even paid for by somebody else.

Started saving and investing money a little later than some here, because I was plowing considerable money into the business early on. But am sitting OK now, especially since the part of the business requiring the least work continues to grow, in the past few years providing more income than our other investments (including the ones with compound interest). Since my wife also works for herself, this allowed us to live in a part of the country with a low cost of living, so we've been debt-free for years.

Don't ever intend to fully retire, unless absolutely forced to. One of my mentors kept working until he died at 91, because he liked to, but like him I will slow down. And as I do, will sell off some of the business investments made over the years, including many guns. Dunno when that will happen, but am already enjoying a sort of semi-retirement, since I've already done most of the travel dreamed about when younger, so am spending far more time with family and friends closer to home.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm with you gunner500. Years of hard work, spending way less than I made, and blessing from the Man upstairs allowed me to be 100% debt free, personal and business, at age 41. It ain't rocket science.

Oh yeah, never ever let someone else manage your money. The cash that I do keep is in several accounts at a local FCU.

Agreed, started to fully retire 13 years ago at 40, but, you know what they say about an idle mind. grin

I'll be slightly busy doing something till they pat my face with a spade.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You were wise enough, early on, to set your priorities, make a life plan and work the plan.

I think that's neat, wish more had that discipline and foresight.

It's not really work if you enjoy what you're doing. So many are slaves to something/someone.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I doubt I'll ever fully retire either.

Mule Deer, you are very fortunate in that you could make a living doing what you love. I'm sure you know that. I tried to make a living playing baseball, and it didn't work out but that is fine. Ever heard that saying, "the quickest way to ruin your hobby is to make it your job"? That's the way baseball bacame for me. Unless my kid, neighbor, etc was playing I could care less about watching a baseball game.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My hobby is my job, and I love it. I'm sure they'll find me slumped over in the wheelhouse when I'm an old man.

I'm a huge fan of debt free. Huge. I don't see the point in investing if you are paying interest on anything other than a house. You can live so cheap if you are debt free that you don't need a huge retirement and saving money is really easy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Oh yeah, never ever let someone else manage your money.

I'm with you there.

Most of my "growth" and "bottom line" is real estate related. It's tangible and local; I can "kick the tires" with hands on involvement.

You gotta do what's in your comfort zone, what you are at peace with. Everyone is different, one size doesn't fit all.

And at the end, we all end up with about the same sized real estate plot... wink

The only lasting thing is relationships, first with our Maker then others in our lives. I've yet to see a Brinks trucks in a funeral procession.

And how we live our lives depends on how many come to pay last respects, how many come to "make sure"... shocked

DF

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I'm a huge fan of debt free. Huge. I don't see the point in investing if you are paying interest on anything other than a house. You can live so cheap if you are debt free that you don't need a huge retirement and saving money is really easy.

^^^^^^

This

I became solvent at 37....retired for 11 years and traveled/hunted/fished while I was young enough to physically do it. Ran out of money at 48 grin And went back to work. But as Calvin said, debt free you really don't need that much.
I live modestly, and by many standards I don't have much...but most importantly amongst what I don't have is debt.....
Retired again at 62, bucket list full, so again, that requires very little.

I wanted to put myself in a situation years ago where if everything went to schitt, I could work part time at McDonalds and still live the way I live.

One other point, unlike others I didn't work and live someplace I hated waiting for retirement...I picked where I wanted to live THEN got a job..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

The last 15 years in the market have actually been pretty "meh" compared to historical rates, but then again, so has inflation.

The stock market moves in spurts, both up and down. If you want to try your luck, you can try and time the spurts, and you can very easily outperform the market. Or lose money handsomely.

Miss one good upswing in your lifetime, and it will cut your lifetime returns as much as 50% (considering compound interest).

THAT is why index funds are popular. They are always in the market.

you find very few people talking about that, and what dollar devaluation has done to measured investment returns.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

^^^^^^

This

I became solvent at 37....retired for 11 years and traveled/hunted/fished while I was young enough to physically do it. Ran out of money at 48 grin And went back to work. But as Calvin said, debt free you really don't need that much.
I live modestly, and by many standards I don't have much...but most importantly amongst what I don't have is debt.....
Retired again at 62, bucket list full, so again, that requires very little.

I wanted to put myself in a situation years ago where if everything went to schitt, I could work part time at McDonalds and still live the way I live.

One other point, unlike others I didn't work and live someplace I hated waiting for retirement...I picked where I wanted to live THEN got a job..... grin

you are one of the very few, live within your means, and realize what you want. I have dealt with various people through the years from the very wealthy(dinner at the petroleum club a few times if that means anything to anyone) to those with not so much. Money provides the grease, but i can honestly say some of the happiest people i deal with are those that are on the other end of the spectrum, or were once. And have reasonable expectations.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Reasonable expectations are the key. Frankly I wish I didn't have as much as I do...I would like to have 50% less schitt and a house half the size that I have, and lower maintenance.
But, tune into TLC in a few years...I expect them to do an episode of " Hoarders" dedicated to my wife.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My hobby is my job, and I love it. I'm sure they'll find me slumped over in the wheelhouse when I'm an old man.

Great advice. I credit Dave Ramsey with teaching me this salient point about 14 years ago.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
Sure are a lot of good posts here. I never did good in the market. I did good for a while 30 yrs ago , put it in Tech stocks in 2000 and lost what I gained. At 9.5% interest on my house , I thought , heck, pay the house . It's a9.5% guarantee. Now that my house wis payed for 7 yrs now. I am investing in the market. My biggest mistake was a bank talked me into loaded funds. ( FKUSX) in 9/2011. Bad move . Next , my wife that worked at a bank is where we went. More loaded Franklin funds. He at least steered us straight with half decent fund, but still loaded. Next, a referal from some friends. An investor in town, and more loaded funds, non traded reits and more loaded mutual funds loaded with oil in June 2014. ( guess how well that fund is doing) . I decided to go on my own with Fidelity . I was down 25K when I left the investment firm in Oct. 2015 . AS of last week I am dead even. Today 2-3 K ahead. I have y own portfolio I did mostly on my own. I am slowly going into index , ETF or stocks cause I learned very fast how expensive high load / expense ratios kill returns. Here is my portfolio. Is it normal or is it all wacked out?
My son is smarter than I . He has about 3K in a roth and barely 19 yrs , 1/2 BP, 1/2 FKDNX.

Here is my portfolio.

AGNC - Mortgage reit. 11% up about 10% or so . Bought 6 months ago. 13% div.

BP OIL 13% up 10% since bought 6 months ago 7.7% div.

ETGLX MID CAP growth 3% down 2% or so

fbiox BIOTECH 4.4% down 20% in since bought 1 yr ago

fbsox IT 3% up 3% in 6 months

FKINX OIL? BONDS 15.4% down 5% ( bought 2 yrs ago. OIL 5.4% div.

FMEIX madcap blend 1.2% even

focpx TECH growth 6.3% up 10%

FREL realestate (ETF) 1.4% up

fresh realestate 1.4% up

fsphx 1.4% down 10%

JAWWX world stocks 2.9% - 3% ?

PRBLX large cap blend. 19% May go into index fund + 10% in 4 months

NON traded reit American Capital realty 4%

GNL equity reit. 10% dead even , bought 2 yrs ago. 7.1% div.

My own experience, learning about investing over the past five years, has cost me thousands of dollars in "stupid tax" (as Dave Ramsey calls it. grin

Once me and the little wifey became debt-free following Ramsey's 7 Baby Steps program, I finally discovered an investment philosophy that worked for me. I credit two books for my current strategy, though I have read dozens of books on investing over the years as part of my personal education on the subject.

I set up my retirement accounts (401(k) and both mine and my wife's ROTH IRAs) with the "All Weather Retirement Portfolio" and set up my joint brokerage accounts with "The 3% Signal" portfolio.

Both of these strategies fit my own personal risk/reward mind set at this stage of my life (63 years old and still working.)

I could not recommend more a careful reading of these two books before one invests another penny in a portfolio in which you have no plan or confidence. Hope doesn't work out in the stock market . . . I know from experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bought my first house at 31 years old

Got a pretty good deal but interest on the loan was 10.75%

Paid it off in 3.5 years Talk about scrimping, we just barely made 6 figures in those days. Lived off what my wife made around 35K and used dang near every nickel I made to pay off the house

Since then we've taken out a few biz loans that we've been blessed to,pay off early

As others have stated different strokes for different folks. Imo bankers make fine partners during good times but can be a sob when times get hard

So for our personal comfort zone we try to use banks & loans sparingly

Still live in that old house today & folks like ironbender, jeffak, Idared & a few others can tell ya it & the property are pretty dang humble, but it's home

Funny how habits die hard

We could have a 500k house or fancy cars or a new boat

We don't have any of that & don't miss it.

We did get momma a new taco for her b'day last year, paid cash. Freakin ridiculous over 30k for an itty bitty truck

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Humble, thats a good thing really IMHO.

All you need to live is what YOU need.

Debt free we are, and about to dive off and do an early kind of semi retire thing and head norht.

Figuring that since we have housing and all, taken care of, its going to be bare bones living, small income, small expense.

As long as we are happy, I'm figuring thats all that matters.

We'll be a bit before 60, so there will be some lean years before retirement stuff kicks in, and this would be easier if o care wasn't around too.

Bottom line though, how long are we issued on earth? How do we know? Lets do some things we enjoy, rather than just work, while we still can.

We figure if we run out of money at 80 and are still alive... well... we'll just go greet at walmart or let .gov take care of us like they do so many others...

Folks should learn its not possessions or cash that makes happiness. Though you have to pay your bills...at least if you are white you do.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm surprised I don't hear more about closed end mutual funds on here. Short term bond funds, etc. Pay monthly, 7-9%, and you can reinvest the dividends for free. My old man makes a fortune off the things and lets them really snowball over the years. Makes more when they are down than they are up he buys so many a month on reinvested dividends.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should add, I am amazed at how much orange posts having only been introduced to investing 5 years ago. I would have figured he'd have done it his whole life.

I"d be scared at 5 years in to profess much of anything.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

Paid it off in 3.5 years Talk about scrimping, we just barely made 6 figures in those days. Lived off what my wife made around 35K and used dang near every nickel I made to pay off the house

In my opinion, that's the best way to build wealth. 2 incomes, live off of one. My folks did it for 30+ years. Neither one of them ever made more than 40k a year, but when you can save a 30k salary a year for 30 years and invest it, you retire rather comfortably.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dirtfarmer,

A local friend died a few years ago at 59, and he always claimed he'd take some of his stuff when he went, and in fact had a clause in his will to that effect. So some of his friends rented a U-Haul filled with his favorite stuff, and the hearse towed it to the cemetery.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dirtfarmer,

A local friend died a few years ago at 59, and he always claimed he'd take some of his stuff when he went, and in fact had a clause in his will to that effect. So some of his friends rented a U-Haul filled with his favorite stuff, and the hearse towed it to the cemetery.

laugh

He probably had a smile on his face... grin

Don't guess he got to see those friends dividing up his goods after the fact... blush

Good one... cool

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At 51, I really can't even fathom completely retiring. We work with innovative, "can't be done" stuff on a routine basis. I'd go bonkers if I ware forced to sit in a boat and fish for months on end. There's way to many problems to solve to just sit and play pinochle on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Besides, the dogs like the farm too much.......

I'm sure I'll slow down a lot, and the younger crowd gets to do the heavy lifting, but I really can't imagine a better way to spend my time than what I do right now.

Oh, and when I die, I want to take all my money with me. Just write a check for the value of the estate and drop it in the casket before lighting the fire......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Curious, do any of you guys work for an employer who contributes to a 401k on your behalf? If so, what percentage do they contribute or is it a dollar for dollar match of a certain percentage you put in?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Curious, do any of you guys work for an employer who contributes to a 401k on your behalf? If so, what percentage do they contribute or is it a dollar for dollar match of a certain percentage you put in?

1 for 1 for the first 5%. but they wait until the end of the year to do it and if you quit one day before the disbursement you lose the whole year.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At 51, I really can't even fathom completely retiring. We work with innovative, "can't be done" stuff on a routine basis. I'd go bonkers if I ware forced to sit in a boat and fish for months on end. There's way to many problems to solve to just sit and play pinochle on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Besides, the dogs like the farm too much.......

I'm sure I'll slow down a lot, and the younger crowd gets to do the heavy lifting, but I really can't imagine a better way to spend my time than what I do right now.

Oh, and when I die, I want to take all my money with me. Just write a check for the value of the estate and drop it in the casket before lighting the fire......

I had always heard that the successful man is not the guy who dies owning a million dollars but the guy who dies owing a million... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rule #1: Stay single.
Rule #2: Have fun, stay single.
Rule #3: If you need rule #3, its too late.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh yeah, never ever let someone else manage your money.

I'm with you there.

Most of my "growth" and "bottom line" is real estate related. It's tangible and local; I can "kick the tires" with hands on involvement.

You gotta do what's in your comfort zone, what you are at peace with. Everyone is different, one size doesn't fit all.

And at the end, we all end up with about the same sized real estate plot... wink

The only lasting thing is relationships, first with our Maker then others in our lives. I've yet to see a Brinks trucks in a funeral procession.

And how we live our lives depends on how many come to pay last respects, how many come to "make sure"... shocked

DF

Man, there are some pearls there Mr DF. Great stuff, and oh so true.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
As for me , I never found a rental property I thought was worth the money and hassle to fix up. I decided to get some REIT's instead. I got AGNC, that pays 12.75 % dividends monthly. The price has stayed from $19 when I bought 6 months ago, then 5 months ago I payed $18 and one month ago I payed $18.12 The price is 18.25 today. So, I have been getting about 13% on my REIT. I have another REIT and it gives 7.1% div. monthly. I guess, the price might go down but it has alway payed monthly div. and reinvested monthly. I also get a div check from GNL. I payed $10 per share but is only worth $8.50 now. If you buy GNL now, you will get about 8% monthly div check. They dont reinvest the div. though. Just a thought for someone that does not have 50k to put in a rental. I have 10k in one account and get $104 per month reinvest dividends , but the dividends over the last 6 months are starting to reinvest and multiply, and it multiplies fast at 13%. This was the original thread , compound interest.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/28/16.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by djs

"You have to take on some risk at some point in time."

Yes, life comes with risk; the secret of any success is to control what you can (e.g., investment expenses) and diversify (braod based index funds win).

Remember Enron, a company that could only keep going up? Some put all they had on this winning horse and lost it all. Even when Enron went kaput, index fund investors felt barely a ripple.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Life comes with risks, but you don't have to stand out in the traffic...

If a deal sounds too good, think...

Ole Bernie Madoff paid some really handsome dividends, was a legend during his reign as financial guru, par excellence.

All was Kosher until the "music stopped", those left standing got burned, bad.

Enough greed to go around, Bernie and his "pigeons".

Some made money and got out, some couldn't get enough and stayed in. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered...

Buyer beware...

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dutch,

Maybe a dozen years ago I somehow ended up fishing with a guy who'd worked in a refinery until he retired in his mid-60's. His life-long ambition was to fish every day, not just on days off, so every day he drove around 150 miles, round-trip, to fish one hole on the Bighorn River here in Montana. He knew that hole really well, because within three casts I caught a really nice brown trout following his directions.
But I can't imagine a life spent doing the same job every day, so you can retire and follow exactly the same routine every day, no matter how much you like fishing!

But he seemed very happy. We're all different.

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs

Yes, life comes with risk; the secret of any success is to control what you can (e.g., investment expenses) and diversify (braod based index funds win).

Remember Enron, a company that could only keep going up? Some put all they had on this winning horse and lost it all. Even when Enron went kaput, index fund investors felt barely a ripple.

Yes and Amen.

Soli Deo Gloria

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs

Yes, that works both ways though. When a stock does really well, an index fund also barely feels a ripple. My grandpa picked stocks, my dad picked stocks, and I pick stocks. You don't take everything you own and stick it in a single stock. Spend 5k here, 10k there, and in the long term you own some really high quality companies, most of whom pay a good dividend that you reinvest.

Amazing how folks will sign on the dotted line to buy a house for all kinds of money, but are too afraid to pick stocks. You can lose a pile of money on a house.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
BTW, lots of folks, myself included have been buying ATT (T) for what was the 5.5% dividend yield, since the banks aren't paying crap for interest. We were getting in around $32-34 a share for a long time. Just looked and shares have appreciated to over $38 a share. So not only have we been getting 5%+ we have some very nice share appreciation.

Lots of very nice blue chips to make a good yield on since the banks ain't paying crap.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

The secret is to save money and invest it in the right stock(s).

My father invested in PacCar and Microsoft.
I invested in Microsoft, Google, Amazon, and Apple.

My father told me that when Merrill Lynch calls, 95% of the time their pitch is bs, but you have to listen, so when you hear something real you can jump on it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
With a tepid economy posting a .5% for Q1 2016 indicate what have to look forward to, its best you maximize your investment dollar. I maintain that the average person doesn't have the aptitude or time to perform the needed research. Not a "put down" just stating the truth.
Therefore a licensed advisor, one who is not fee based is what you need. I say that because too many times the advisor has you buying in and out of investments - all the while earning a commission for the transactions. He/she may not have your best interests at heart. You should interview 2-4 persons and see who appears to come off as a good fit.
A big "no brainer" that people don't maximize to the extent of the company match is the 401K style investment.
As always, "time" and not "timing" is your friend.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

I had always heard that the successful man is not the guy who dies owning a million dollars but the guy who dies owing a million... wink

"I had always heard that the successful man is not the guy who dies owning a million dollars but the guy who dies owing a million... "

If correct, there are a lot of successful men in the US today!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Therefore a licensed advisor, one who is not fee based is what you need. I say that because too many times the advisor has you buying in and out of investments - all the while earning a commission for the transactions.

Am I right that you DO advise a "fee only" advisor, as opposed to a commission based advisor?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Clarkm
My father told me that when Merrill Lynch calls, 95% of the time their pitch is bs, but you have to listen, so when you hear something real you can jump on it.

You got good advice.

It makes you wonder who they really working for.... crazy

Surely not the client... frown

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My Dad told me never to invest in the stock market but to buy and invest in real estate, Unfortunately my companies 401k will not allow me to do that in an effective fashion.

My Dad lives in West Palm Beach and retired quite nicely

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
My Dad told me never to invest in the stock market but to buy and invest in real estate, Unfortunately my companies 401k will not allow me to do that in an effective fashion.

My Dad lives in West Palm Beach and retired quite nicely

Here is MY real estate anecdote.

I bought an apartment building in 1990.

The bathroom floors kept getting rotten. I think I pulled up every bathroom floor in that building one time or another. I crippled in floor joist repair, patched up the underlayment, put on new vinyl flooring, put on baseboards, caulked around the edges, and put the toilet back in.

Meanwhile I bought Microsoft stock.
The stock cost 4% of what the building cost, but made 3X as much money... with no toilets to fix.

I sold the building in 2000.
I spent the money in 2004 on the Google IPO.
Those $100 shares are worth $1400 now. Not as good as microsoft did for me in the 90s, but I will take it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damnit Clark you made some great calls

Congrats

I'd be tempted after the fact to follow you but you're due for an Enron after a run like that!

Jk. Happy for you, you picked some great stocks

Last edited by 2legit2quit; 04/29/16.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All you gotta do when a broker calls is this:

"I manage my own money, but I will entertain letting you do it under one condition. When I make money based on one of your recs, I'll pay you 10%. When I lose money based on one of your recs, we will split the loss 50/50." Brokers wouldn't be nearly as confident in recommending their picks if they were under this fee structure.

Another thing I hate about Wall St is when the CEO pulls in $10M+ while the company stock is retreating or stagnant. Total BS.

Last edited by JGRaider; 04/29/16.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

"I manage my own money, but I will entertain letting you do it under one condition. When I make money based on one of your recs, I'll pay you 10%. When I lose money based on one of your recs, we will split the loss 50/50." Brokers wouldn't be nearly as confident in recommending their picks if they were under this fee structure.

Another thing I hate about Wall St is when the CEO pulls in $10M+ while the company stock is retreating or stagnant. Total BS.

Yep.

They do take care of their own, not unlike the govt.

Bonuses paid to executives while VA incompetence was killing Vets.

Lavish IRS parties while the agency persecuted the Tea Party.

You reckon all that may have a little something to do with the electoral revolt now going on, D and R.

And Wall Street is on that agenda, those tight with the Street, not doing so well.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My neighbor's father recently had a heart attack and turned his finances over to an advisor. That guy quickly lost half the money. So he went to another. That guy quickly lost half the money. So he is in his 80s and working his way back up from 25%.

40 years ago I helped build a mansion with an artificial lake. The owner was an investment advisor. I can understand some big fund manager in NYC, but this was in Lynnwood WA, home of average American strip malls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

STAY OUT OF DEBT! If you can do that most of your working life, you can't keep from building wealth...

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Consistent monthly investing in growth and index funds over the long haul will get you there. Advisors aren't really necessary for most people and I found most of them to more interested in lining their own pockets. The biggest problem most people have is maintaining consistent disciple in putting the monthly dollars in.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A few have mentioned the virtues of low expense ratio ETF's of which I agree. I own a few of these and think some are worth researching for your portfolio:

Ticker Name

SCHD- Schwab U.S. Dividend Equity ETF

VYM - Vanguard High Dividend Yield ETF

VIG - Vanguard Dividend Appreciation ETF

DGRO - iShares Core Dividend Growth ETF

HDV - iShares Core High Dividend ETF

DLN - WisdomTree LargeCap Dividend ETF

DGRW - WisdomTree U.S. Dividend Growth ETF

SPHD - PowerShares S&P 500 High Dividend Portfolio ETF

XLU - Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF

VDC - Vanguard Consumer Staples ETF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Hey thanks Orangeokie. It seems like noone want to give their portfolio out. I see the ETF's and like them. I am going to go to index and ETF's . I sold my madcap growth fund yesterday., It charges 1.35% expense ratio. This stock goes up and down so much it drives me crazy. It is not worth it so I will go with a Vanguard VOE ( value madcap .08% expense ratio or the Vanguard madcap VIMAX. I will look at your portfolio funds. Thanks,

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Ihookem,

I went all in just after the Jamie Diamond Bottom.

Outside the 401K's I'm mostly invested through ETF's. Right now I'm holding a dividend growth fund, a small cap value fund, equal weighted finances and an India fund.

I work in Telecom, so half my 401's invested in telcom so I try to avoid that sector outside the 401K.

Within the retirement accounts I'm diversified across the majority of investment classes, growth, value, small, medium and large caps. Currently they are almost all domestic. No bonds (with interest rates so low they are all risk and no reward) or precious metals, but I do hold some real estate in the form of REITS.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Hey thanks Antelope Sniper. I also own very little in bonds and only because they are in a balanced fund that my advisor suggested. I do like my Reits though more than anything, but my BP oil is looking good lately. My portfolio is 6% bonds and that does not bother me, even at 53 yrs old.

Last edited by ihookem; 04/30/16.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
At the top of the next interest rate cycle I'll buy bonds, a lot of them, with long matures, low coupon rates, and deep discounts, but that might be a long time from now. In the mean time, with rates near zero, equities are the only real game in town.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Currently, that fee structure is illegal.

The closest you can get to something like that is with a hedge fund. If you are looking at actively managed funds, I do like it when the fund manager is invested as well. Keeps their interests aligned with yours.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
At the top of the next interest rate cycle I'll buy bonds, a lot of them, with long matures, low coupon rates, and deep discounts, but that might be a long time from now. In the mean time, with rates near zero, equities are the only real game in town.

I'm thinking the same way. Waiting for bond prices to fall (ie. TLT) and yields to rise.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Me too. By the time I'm ready for bonds I will be near 60. I'm almost 53. OrangeOkie, I see you like higher dividends. That is kind of like have a bond. I use reits as bonds right now. I also know someone that is an investor. She said he bond money right now is cash.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Since 1994 I have made +18% compounded annually on stocks, per my wife's Quicken program.
Before 1994 I was losing ~20% year.
In 1994 I sat down with my father to see how he was making +20% per year and I why I was -20%.
It turns out I was buying all the right stocks, just keeping them an average of 5 months and selling if it went down.
My father kept everything more than 5 years and invested based on where he thought things would be in 5 years or more.

Now I am turning 65 and worry I will not be able to see 5 years into the future. I used to design state of the art electronics and supervise software engineers. Now I cannot understand how to use all the functions of my smart phone.
But once I get old enough, all I will care about is watching TV and eating ice cream.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What do all you stock pickers think of CLF?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What do all you stock pickers think of CLF?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like Cliffs Natural Resources Inc drove off a cliff.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It has, was down to below twp dollars, bug it appears to be in rally mode now.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Very interesting read, and honestly generally when a thread goes 6 pages here you sift through a lot of crap.

I'm 27, been married for almost 5 years

I was just dropping off some stuff at my in-laws and my father-in-law commented on a house that is up for sale and how I should look into it. Although I pretty much hate the house my wife & I are living in we rent it for $300/month (from the in-laws) to go buy anything with the acreage we need for 2 horses we are looking at $200-300/month just in taxes, so although I hate this house it provides the necessities and allows us to really stash away some $$

Roth: I'm self employed so max out my ROTH every year, have the wife maxing hers out but in different funds (diversification, I actually have 3 or 4 roths at the moment to diversify)
401K: my wife's company puts money into a retirement account every year, vested but she has been there long enough she gets the full amount. Interesting thing the company automatically puts it into an account that makes 0% (doesn't want to risk losing employee's $$) but there is still a small management fee so I'm sure some of her co-workers are losing money. Since the company doesn't offer a match we just invest what is given from the company and leave it be

I was fortunate that my parents started me out very young with investing, started retirement funds, ect... For those curious, I really like that my parents set me up with Vanguard, low fees, easy to get to a real person who can answer questions, lots of Q&A available ect... so I feel that God willing if I keep on this path I will retire comfortably even though we don't make a lot of money

I will say i'm not a huge fan of individual stocks, although I should revise that I'm not a fan of relying on sole stocks. I love following the market, learning about companies, trying to find the next diamond in the rough (would love to find the next Berkshire hathaway at $32/stock I have 40 years to watch it turn to $220,000) I buy small amounts of individual stocks hoping it will turn into something but not relying upon it, I invest in funds figuring they diversify my purchases although I pay a small fee for those I feel vanguard's fees are small enough that it's worth it to me.

so far compounding interest has worked quite well, I have some stocks/funds that showed a loss at the beginning of the year when the markets were down (and I was buying) but when you look at what I invested from the bank I was still ahead because of compounding interest being reinvested

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tim_B
...my father-in-law commented on a house that is up for sale and how I should look into it. Although I pretty much hate the house my wife & I are living in, we rent it for $300/month (from the in-laws).

Maybe the "old man" is trying to tell you something... shocked

Just saying... grin

DF

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
haha, well he knows we've been looking at houses for over a year now and also looked at this particular house when it came up for sale a few years ago (next to a landfill, about 10miles out of the way from my wife & I's normal driving routes to our jobs so never was worth a whole lot to us)

what I didn't know was that when we quit feeding calves for him that our rent would only go up $100/month which to be honest I don't know if he knows that or not.... communication between him & his wife aren't always the best. but when rent goes from $200 to $300/month instead of the $600 or $700 that I was expecting it makes this place a lot more tolerable for the time being

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ihookem
Hey thanks Orangeokie. It seems like noone want to give their portfolio out. I see the ETF's and like them. I am going to go to index and ETF's . I sold my madcap growth fund yesterday., It charges 1.35% expense ratio. This stock goes up and down so much it drives me crazy. It is not worth it so I will go with a Vanguard VOE ( value madcap .08% expense ratio or the Vanguard madcap VIMAX. I will look at your portfolio funds. Thanks,

Here is the link to the Seeking Alpha article. Very informative. SPHD is the core holding in our ROTH IRAs.

Dividend ETF Investing

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
At every company I would ask others, "Do you save money or live paycheck to paycheck?"

a) About half were paycheck to paycheck.
b) Most of the saving group could only save through 401k and house payments.
c) Some bachelors would tell them they have never spent any of the second paycheck of the month, but always saved it.
d) Some 60 year old guys would say they don't need to work any more, they just do it for fun, and invest all the after taxes income from the job.

What I realized from all this was that most married couples will soon get in a race to see who can spend it first.

a) In my clan, of my brothers, sister, and cousins... half are self made and half just have their house, 401k, and inheritance.
b) It does not matter if they are liberal or conservative, hard working or lazy, alcoholic or dry..... it is the saving and investing that makes the difference.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 50 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,464,017
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.