Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by muffin
gay 270?

Redundancy springs eternal..... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B6

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by muffin
gay 270?

Redundancy springs eternal..... grin

gayER 270!

wink

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Screw the AR platform...I wish there were bolt guns available in the 6.8!

No problem...

I built one a while ago for a friend. He really likes it and says the results on game are impressive...like a low-recoil lightning bolt.

The build is cheap and very easy to do.

I picked up a Wal Mart ADL and a few boxes of factory rounds in 7-08 and dumped out half the powder.

I told him it was an improved 6.8.

I named it the 6.8 GPC.

I didn't tell him what the "g" stands for.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Should be labeled the 6-point-worthless.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 6.8 is an excellent performer on deer size game. Lots of hunting bullets in the appropriate weight for the cartridge too.

It's a perfect round for recoil sensitive hunters and a great choice for youth hunters. It needs to be in a bolt gun...and someday it will happen again.

Im not a Savage fan, but the Lady Hunter is a perfect platform for the cartridge -- shorter LOP and a raised cheek piece to help get shooters properly behind the scope.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

That seems a little negative.

GFY

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

I thought you quite drinking. laugh

I have had a couple 6.8 spec II. They kill very well to four hundred yards. The 110 Accubonds are wicked. Lot of special forces guys that can write their own ticket loved the round.

Last edited by fredIII; 04/27/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think I'd rather play with a Grendal, personally. My 6.8 AR shot okay, but nothing to get me excited

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Im not a Savage fan, but the Lady Hunter is a perfect platform for the cartridge -- shorter LOP and a raised cheek piece to help get shooters properly behind the scope.

Howa Mini would be a candidate as well.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
It can be done easily on the savage or rem 783. That is if ptg ever sends the 6.8 bolt face I ordered for the 783. Only been 2 years...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That one's getting the Grendel soon.

After this thread got going, I looked around and found the ammo stuation was better than I recalled it being before, so now I have to say it looks like the Grendel's only real advantage is at long range. I can't recall reading about any tack-driver 6.8s, but that may be related to the rifles involved.

For now, a Contender looks like the easiest way into a non-tactical 6.8.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobnob17

Darrik,

When are the Howa Mini's in 6.5 Grendel going to hit the shelves?

Thanks,

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 6.8 is an excellent performer on deer size game. Lots of hunting bullets in the appropriate weight for the cartridge too.

It's a perfect round for recoil sensitive hunters and a great choice for youth hunters. It needs to be in a bolt gun...and someday it will happen again.

While a bolt rifle would be fine it seems to me that the AR platform would be great for anyone youngsters as well.
Adjustable stock,Light weight,short,and recoils less than a bolt rifle in the same caliber,especially with the mid length gas system.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Screw the AR platform...I wish there were bolt guns available in the 6.8!

Amen brother. I really wish I had bought one of the 700 Lightweight "Tacticals" (as much as I detest that word) when they were closed out by one of my distributors for under $600...

You didn't miss out on anything. I bought one for the exact reasons everyone here thinks it would be a great round for. I got for my son who was 7 at the time and it was a dog accuracy wise. I tried every possible bullet/powder combo and it was not stellar with anything. Turns out a 308 loaded with h4198 and the 125 nosler BT is a better route to go. I ended up selling the one I had and all the brass and dies. maybe great in a ar, but was a dog for me in a bolt gun.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a lightweight 6.8 SPC with an 18.5" barrel built on a 700 in an Edge Mt. Rifle stock that will be my kids first deer gun. It is such a great WT rifle with little recoil, low blast, and thumps deer. I have shot a bunch with it, then my sister borrowed it a few years ago for hunting and I have to beg her just to "borrow" it back when I want to take it out! She loves it as well. The cartridge is dynamite for 250 yards and less but really is fun to hunt with.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
6.8 is just more efficient than the Grendel in barrels under 22". Yes, the Grendel beats it past 300, due to BCs and longer barrels, but for 300 and in in a lightweight, handy package, the 6.8 makes a better case. The issue with the 6.8 (initially) was Remington totally screwing up the case/chamber/twist.....hence the specII and 1:11. Sure, there's others in the class, but few with factory load options and equal performance vs recoil vs blast.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Don't have either at this point, but the 6.5 Grendel eats the 6.8's lunch pretty much across the board for varmints, medium game, and especially as a long-range cartridge. It fits the same platforms as well. A fast-twist .223 also surpasses the 6.8 for a lot of purposes, I think, and has mountains of available rifles and cheap ammo and components.

All that doesn't mean the 6.8 isn't worth owning and using, just that there's better stuff out there. It probably doesn't help that the 6.8 is a stubby little number that looks kind of dumpy compared to the sexy Grendel.

Another issue for me is that 6.8 brass is an odd duck, and given what we've been through the last few years, feeding one could become problematic in a pinch.

I was looking debating on what cartridge I wanted a compact CZ 527 chambered in for a light weight deer hunting rifle. Cartridges I considered included the 6MM PPC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC and the simple 7.62 x 39. While all are good choices and only one or to rifles to be put together I went with the 7.62x39 for simplicity and the Grendel for all around top performance at all distances I would consider shooting a deer.

The Grendel is the rifle I am most passionate about truth be told. 6.8 SPC is a fine choice also. Grendel is simply better in my eyes.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That factory Hornady 120 SST load is perfection to me. Even out of a 12" barrel. I have never lost a deer or hog with it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Originally Posted by bobnob17

Darrik,

When are the Howa Mini's in 6.5 Grendel going to hit the shelves?

Thanks,

Jerry

Soon! We should have some in May -- or at least that's what I was told!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bcraig

While a bolt rifle would be fine it seems to me that the AR platform would be great for anyone youngsters as well.
Adjustable stock,Light weight,short,and recoils less than a bolt rifle in the same caliber,especially with the mid length gas system.

I agree 100%. In fact, that's the platform I set up for my eight year old son. Recoil is mitigated, the stock adjusts to perfection and the vertical grip really makes is easy for them to reach the trigger.

It worked well for him!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
545 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 48 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.