24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just took my first 100 mg dose. I do that for a week, then up it to 200 mg/day for a week, then 300 mg/day. Apparently it sometimes causes a gout flare-up when starting. For those on it, anybody experience this?

BP-B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Take it daily. No side effects for me. Gout sucks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Same here.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Just took my first 100 mg dose. I do that for a week, then up it to 200 mg/day for a week, then 300 mg/day. Apparently it sometimes causes a gout flare-up when starting. For those on it, anybody experience this?

I had gout for years and my doc wouldn't prescribe Allopurinol because my uric acid level was not elevated. It finally got so bad he referred me to a endocrinologist who tested me for everything. My uric acid level wasn't high, but it was definitely gout. He said that Allopurinol probably wouldn't help, but that it wouldn't hurt. I took it for about three weeks, the gout went away, and I decided to see what would happen if I stopped taking it. That was three years ago and I haven't had a joint problem since. (Knock on wood.)

I don't think much is understood about gout.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Been taking it since 1985. Just flat works for me.

Christopher Columbus, the greatest Democrat of them all.

He left not knowing where he was going, and when he got there he did not know where he was. He returned not knowing where he had been, and did it all on someone else's money.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I first came down with gout my MD at the time put me on it daily. The more I found out about long term effects of some of that stuff the less I liked being on it (or any other drugs) daily. I quit taking it. I watch what I eat (sort of) and drink plenty of water. Every year or two I might get a gout flare up. When that happens I take colchizine (sp?) for a couple of days and it goes right away.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I had gout for years and my doc wouldn't prescribe Allopurinol because my uric acid level was not elevated. It finally got so bad he referred me to a endocrinologist who tested me for everything. My uric acid level wasn't high, but it was definitely gout. He said that Allopurinol probably wouldn't help, but that it wouldn't hurt. I took it for about three weeks, the gout went away, and I decided to see what would happen if I stopped taking it. That was three years ago and I haven't had a joint problem since. (Knock on wood.)

I don't think much is understood about gout.

That sounds about like me. I had flare ups from time to time, but usually it went away in a day, just made me walk gingerly.

One time it took a week to go away, went to an urgent care place on the weekend, they said it was gout, gave me basically some strong Aleve and a pain killer, which didn't do much for me at all. It did go away a few days later though.

A year later, had a flare up, went to an actual doctor, he drew blood, said my acid levels were just barely elevated, I about punched him in the jaw my toe hurt so bad. He prescribed Allopurinol, but said not to take it until the flare up was gone. It went away in a few days, I took the Allopurinol for a few months religiously, then quit. I've had 2 small flare ups in the 2 years since then. When I feel it coming on, I take the Allopurinol, and by the next day I'm fine, and the flare ups haven't been bad at all.

All I really know, is when a flare up is bad, I wouldn't wish it on anybody. Trying to figure out how you broke your big toe by simply lying in bed is bad. When the air blowing on it from the ceiling fan makes it hurt, its bad.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Been taking 300 mg daily for about 15 yrs now. No attacks when starting/working up dosage. When I feel a flare up, I stop taking Allo and start taking Indomethicin.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Didn't have any issues when I started on it four years ago. This was after I had to do the prednisone regimen to knock down the gout symptoms. The other two common drug regimens to cure it had no effect.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Apparently it sometimes causes a gout flare-up when starting. For those on it, anybody experience this?

It caused flare ups when I first went on it. That's the reason they ease you on to it. To understand why you need to understand how it works. Uric acid in your bloodstream causes gout & when you've got that much in your blood you also have it stored in your muscle tissue. Your body should purge the Uric acid through your kidneys filtering it from your blood & pissing it out but in people with gout the body retains it instead of purging it. There's a protein layer that the body encapsulates the Uric acid with that allows the body to store it. Allopurinol destroys this protein layer which causes the body to shed the Uric acid. When the muscles start purging it the UA goes into the bloodstream where it's carried to the kidneys, filtered out & you discharge it through urination. What it means is that when you first go on allopurinol it elevates your UA levels in the blood which will trigger gout flare ups. It'll keep the levels high until your body purges the stored UA, that's why it's important to drink lots of water so you keep pissing that stuff out as your body sheds it. If you get flare ups during this period treat it with indomethacin or other gout drugs.

Allopurinol is a preventative medicine, not a treatment for flare ups. People that haven't been on a steady allopurinol regime & try to take it just when they have a gout attack are actually making it worse instead of better. That's like throwing gas on a fire.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took it for years and it kept my uric acid levels hovering just below the too much line.

Switched to Uloric a few hears back and Uloric works much mo betta for me.

Thing about gout is even if you aren't having a full blown attack, elevated uric acid can destroy your joints. Gout is pretty much controllable degenerative arthritis. So I CONTROL.

GOOD LUCK

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Take it daily. No side effects for me. Gout sucks.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

This.

Me Too !

& yes it does.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've had gout since my twenties, but I was also blessed with an over active immune system, drug sensitivity is a result.

My internist started me on Benemid for gout. Within a year it caused me to breakout in hives and itching. Then I was switched to Allopurinol (Zyloprim). That went along for awhile, then more hives, a rash and muscle pain. The doctor switched me to Sulfinpyrazone (Anturane) which worked perfectly, reduced my uric acid level to normal, and caused no side effects or allergic reactions. Then, after decades Sulfinpyrazone became unavailable, it was discontinued. No one knows why it was discontinued in the U.S., the FDA doesn't even know, saying that the discontinuance wasn't safety related. The drug manufacturers just quit making or distributing it in the U.S.. That meant in my 40's I was without a gout specific problem free medication.

The doctor switched me to Naproxen to combat the inflammation. I still take Naproxen, although in a reduced dosage today, not just because of gout but because of numerous traumas and arthritis. Then I was hit head-on while driving my county truck, the impact bruised my kidneys and turned my legs black, cracking a knee cap. So that in time, I needed once again to reduce my uric acid level, but with reduced kidney function. I was put on Col-Benemid, a compound of Probebecid and Colchicine, at about age 55. After fifteen years of allergy immunizations reduced the load on my immune system, I didn't experience any ill effects, but the new physician put me on quarterly blood tests for kidney and liver function. When that physician retired he transferred me to another internist that was also a nephrologist. He decided to put me on Allopurinol because it's easier on the kidneys - but within a month those severe back and shoulder pains returned. Next he put me on Probenecid, without the colchicine. Now my blood is being tested monthly at age age 70, to monitor kidney and liver function, but my uric acid level is still quite high, but responds to diet as a means of reducing it slightly.

Main thing is that taking these drugs over the long term will require careful monitoring of kidney and liver functions, especially if numerous other drugs are in the mix. Be especially aware of any muscle pain that can't be assigned a cause, or a rash, and watch for heartburn or stomach pain. This stuff can all be detrimental if not monitored.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
good lord... 300mg ???

might wanna ration back on the pork chops, milwaukee's beast, cheesey stuffed pizza crust and fried fat back

jeeze, I have zero kidney function and 100 mg every other day keeps my numbers below 7.0

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Been taking it for 8 yrs. The "flare up" I had @ that time lasted 6 wks. and my foot swelled to the size of a soccer ball!! It hurt bad and was kinda gross when the skin sloughed off. Now down to 50mg. for about 1 1/2yrs with no issues or flare up since that first one.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,679 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.