Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
If you're on the Front Range of Colorado, you may be interested in this! Castle Rock's Annual RMEF banquet is on Saturday, May 7th. You can find out more details and view some of our prizes on our Facebook page @
https://www.facebook.com/RMEF.CastleRock.Colorado/

You need to purchase your tickets ahead of time as there are NO TICKET SALES AT THE DOOR. The DEADLINE to get your tickets is May 1 via the online system at the following link: https://events.rmef.org/shop.aspx?eid=5394

Deadline for early bird entry is this Saturday, May 23rd so purchase tickets before that to be entered in the drawing for a separate early bird prize.

I'll be adding a lot more prizes to Facebook in the next week or two leading up to the banquet. Join us for a fun nite and some really great prizes to benefit the elk and those of us that love to hunt them!

BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I quit the RMEF when they endorsed reintroducing wolves. That was not in the best interest of elk or of hunters.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by KC
I quit the RMEF when they endorsed reintroducing wolves. That was not in the best interest of elk or of hunters.

KC

Yep

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We all have our opinions on the subject. For the record, here is the position from RMEF. I am not aware of any other organization that has done more to benefit elk, or elk habitat improvement.

My 2cents worth on the topic.
Good luck on the upcoming banquet!

February 10, 2014

RMEF Position on Wolf Management

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation maintains that science and biology are key facets in maintaining a sustainable population of wolves and a balanced landscape for elk and other wildlife. As spelled out in the original, federally-approved recovery plan, which was agreed upon by all parties involved, individual states should manage wolves as they do every other species—elk, deer, bears, antelope, lions, etc. State management would take effect as wolf numbers reached previously stated criteria allowing for a viable population. (In the Northern Rockies, for example, that meant a minimum of 150 wolves and 15 breeding pairs in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming respectively, which reached those levels in the early 2000s. Today, the wolf population exceeds the original minimum recovery goal by 400 to 500 percent.)

RMEF staunchly supports wolf management in the form of hunting and trapping, especially in undermanaged predator populations that have a more significant impact on elk and other wildlife. Biologists agree there is no science to refute the viability of managing wolves as with other species.

“There’s no biological reason against having a regulated hunting season,” said Dr. David Mech, senior research scientist for the U.S. Geological Survey, adjunct professor at the University of Minnesota and founder of the International Wolf Center. Mech, the preeminent wolf researcher of his generation, also warned of those who use the wolf for singular purposes of "saving the world.”

RMEF stands behind the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation , the most successful model in the world, and its two basic principles that our fish and wildlife belong to all Americans, and that they need to be managed in such a way that their populations will be sustained forever.

In an effort to increase the scientific understanding of wolves, wolf interactions with other species and wolf management, RMEF invested more than $725,000 in grants. The total equates to more than $260,000 in just the past five years, including $125,000 in 2013 alone. A majority of the contributions paid for independent research by leading universities, state and federal wildlife conservation agencies and tribal agencies.

Last edited by Razz; 04/22/16.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
+1, Razz

And I'll add, a guy should be able to post an invitation to a fund-raising banquet without it turning into a referendum on RMEF or their initial position on wolves.

If you don't support RMEF, don't go to the banquet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Got any proof of RMEF endorsing the reintroduction of wolves?

I'll help you. There is none. Heard it from the bartender, whose cousin's mother's hairdresser's mailman said so, does not count as proof.

Thanks to those who are working for wildlife, no matter what organization they volunteer or support. Thanks for posting the notice of this event.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Bingo.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
+1, Razz

And I'll add, a guy should be able to post an invitation to a fund-raising banquet without it turning into a referendum on RMEF or their initial position on wolves.

+1.......!

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Good luck with the banquet.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You know, this bothered me too.

RMEF does a lot of good habitat conservation work, and the OP was simply inviting people to a fun evening at a banquet.

But since the immediate negative response hijacked that invitation, and the question was asked, I went surfing to see what articles were out there saying any such thing.

I do remember that RMEF tried to stay neutral "officially" at first, but not that they endorsed introducing wolves into the Yellowstone ecosystem. I went looking for any indications of endorsement, and instead found references to supporting research that was clearly intended to show the impact of predation of elk calves as below.

"Funding research: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation contributes to wildlife research

By ROB CHANEY – Ravalli Republic
Over the past decade, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has contributed $400,000 to study wolves.
In addition to this spring’s $51,000 donation to U.S. Wildlife Services for radio collars and depredation kills in Montana, the foundation contributed $41,600 to study elk calf mortality in the Bitterroot Valley in 2012. The Missoula-based organization has underwritten a wolf predation study in Idaho’s Clearwater River Basin in 2007, elk calf recruitment measurements in Idaho wolf-reintroduction areas in 2003, predator-prey relationships in Wisconsin in 2003, and the impact of grizzly bears and wolves on elk in Wyoming in 1999." There is more....

And most recently such headlines as "RMEF Supports Delisting of Wolves in Lower 48 States June 07, 2013".

And "Family pulls award over Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation's wolf policy
• By ROB CHANEY of the Missoulian
• Jul 19, 2012

The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has removed all references to its Olaus Murie conservation award after the researcher’s family objected to the group’s policy on wolves.

In a letter to RMEF President David Allen, Olaus Murie’s son, Donald Murie, said the organization’s “all-out war against wolves” is “anathema to the entire Murie family.”

“We must regretfully demand that unless you have a major change in policy regarding wolves that you cancel the Olaus Murie Award,” Donald Murie wrote. “The Murie name must never be associated with the unscientific and inhumane practices you are advancing.”

The Missoula-based RMEF has filed amicus briefs in federal lawsuits supporting the removal of Rocky Mountain gray wolves from Endangered Species Act protection. In March, it donated $50,000 to the Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks to fund contracts with federal Wildlife Services for wolf-killing activity." There is more discussion in this article as well.

None of this looks like endorsement of introduction of wolves.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

KC

I don't claim to have followed the issue closely, but the few references I can recall in Bugle were generally not favorable toward wolves.

My impression is that RMEF tries to focus efforts on a single issue - i.e., preserving elk habitat. Wolves aren't the only issue where you hear little from RMEF. They are very averse to even acknowledging the existence of CWD. Seems like that is a topic where educating hunters would be a valuable service. They seem to steer clear of controversy so as to focus on fundraising.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The goal of the RMEF was to indeed focus on elk conservation, and their charter was to remain apolitical. But we live in a democracy, and especially when it comes to wildlife, it's political.

The RMEF found out it is next to impossible to remain out of the fray while advocating elk conservation.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One question, are we better off today because a RMEF was organized??

I think that is an easy answer. Especially those that live in the East. There are elk in KY, TN, NC, VA, WV, PA, AR!!!!

Is it a perfect organization, of course not but the last time I checked there were no perfect humans beings either. Just think of all that conservation work that may not have ever happened. Our landscape sure would not be the same today if there was no RMEF.

http://www.rmef.org/NewsandMedia/PressRoom/AboutRMEF/MissionFastFacts.aspx

Last edited by C_ROY; 04/25/16.

PASS IT ON!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by BigFin
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Got any proof of RMEF endorsing the reintroduction of wolves?

I'll help you. There is none. Heard it from the bartender, whose cousin's mother's hairdresser's mailman said so, does not count as proof.

Thanks to those who are working for wildlife, no matter what organization they volunteer or support. Thanks for posting the notice of this event.

...pretty sure BigFin knows what he is talking about

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wonder how the banquet did? Original poster had a total of 6 posts, I doubt he will be back. Looks like it's 5/7---results are not in yet

Last edited by colorado bob; 04/26/16.
C
OP Offline
C
I'm still here and right you are Bob! Our banquet is the 7th so I'm still trying to get the word out and posting a lot of our prizes and donations on our Facebook page. I haven't posted a lot on this forum as I frequent many others a bit more. Just too many good forums out there on elk hunting!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little controversy cooks up far more awareness for your event than you would have gotten otherwise wink

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by KC

KC

I don't remember that...but my memory is not the best these days. Can you back up your statement?

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hunt41Ram
Originally Posted by KC

KC

I don't remember that...but my memory is not the best these days. Can you back up your statement?

Hunt41Ram:

You have to go back about thirty years. The idea of reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone was a common topic for some time previous to that but it didn't really get legs until the mid 1990s. It was a controversial subject even then and it was not certain that it would ever take place. One of the organizations (along with all of the tree huggers) that supported the reintroduction was RMEF and their support was one of the primary factors that allowed the feds to finally accomplish the politically controversial effort because they claimed to be acting in the name of sportsmen and hunters and for the greater benefit of elk and their over herd health. Their membership took a big hit immediately after that.

They have changed their tune now that it's obvious that their previous support for reintroduction was a mistake, that it did not benefit elk or hunters. But those of us who lived through it remember.

That is too long ago to find any articles about that subject. But I lived through it. I saw what they did and so did a lot of other hunters who are still around to testify about it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by Hunt41Ram
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Hunt41Ram:

You have to go back about thirty years. The idea of reintroducing wolves into Yellowstone was a common topic for some time previous to that but it didn't really get legs until the mid 1990s. It was a controversial subject even then and it was not certain that it would ever take place. One of the organizations (along with all of the tree huggers) that supported the reintroduction was RMEF and their support was one of the primary factors that allowed the feds to finally accomplish the politically controversial effort because they claimed to be acting in the name of sportsmen and hunters and for the greater benefit of elk and their over herd health. They membership took a big hit immediately after that.

They have changed their tune now that it's obvious that their previous support for reintroduction was a mistake, that it did not benefit elk or hunters. But those of us who lived through it remember.

That is too long ago to find any articles about that subject. But I lived through it. I saw what they did and so did a lot of other hunters who are still around to testify about it.

KC

These discussions seem to always head down this same path. Someone makes a BS claim, then when asked to support it, they come up with the "dog ate my homework" reply.

As a side note, I lived through "it," too. I'm still living "it" today. I was in a lot of the meetings right here in my back yard when the topic was being discussed. Not a single hunter-conservation group stood up and advocated for the wolf reintroduction; not RMEF, not any group that was hunter-based.

I'm still around to testify about "it." Your story, and it is a story, is fiction. Funny I don't remember seeing you at most those meetings where RMEF would have stated their supposed support, but maybe I missed seeing you. I don't remember you being on a lot of the conference calls where RMEF would have stated their supposed support, but maybe you were just being quiet. I don't remember seeing your at any of the public hearings where RMEF would have stated this supposed support, but maybe you were just standing in the back taking copious notes about RMEF. I do remember seeing some RMEF folks there and they were not supporting the wolf reintroduction.

RMEF, like a lot of others in the WY, MT, ID area, probably saw the writing on the wall; that we were getting wolves, whether we liked it or not. For me and many others, it became a process of getting the best possible deal out of that unwanted eventuality. No hunters I saw were advocating for wolves. Maybe you were here and maybe you saw a different group of hunters than I saw.

Again, post what you have to support your claim. The wolf reintroduction process was in 1994-1995. Google has indexed documents going back long before 1994, so if it exists, surely a quick Google search will find the documents supporting your claim. If such formal position existed, it is somewhere on Al Gore's world wide web.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 222ND, 76 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,628
Posts18,398,765
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.