R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I want a 44 Magnum handgun to kill a freezer deer or two when a close range opportunity presents itself, I like the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel or the Smith 629 with 5" or 6.5" barrel though I'm not really crazy about having an integral lock on My handgun.... I would like to hear some thoughts on these revolvers and barrel length recommendations from handgun hunters based on My criteria........Thanks Hb
This little beauty has worked very well for me and it's eerily accurate.

[Linked Image]

It's a .44 Mag w/9.5" barrel. I have its near-twin with a 7.5" barrel but in .45LC/.454C.. The one in the pic is the most accurate though..

what is that scope sitting on top?
Weaver Quik Point.. (red dot)

BTW, it IS heavy.. I carry it in a large, scope-ready shoulder holster..

Last edited by Redneck; 04/28/16.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I want a 44 Magnum handgun to kill a freezer deer or two when a close range opportunity presents itself, I like the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel or the Smith 629 with 5" or 6.5" barrel though I'm not really crazy about having an integral lock on My handgun.... I would like to hear some thoughts on these revolvers and barrel length recommendations from handgun hunters based on My criteria........Thanks Hb

The short answer is either one will do fine. It all depends on how each one fits your hands and how you like or dislike the action/trigger/sights/grips and that is a very personal thing. I've had both and still have the Smith, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by BobWills; 04/28/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use this .480 SRH. I've got a 30mm Ultra Dot on it. I had a Leupold ER 2X on it for about 10 years but hated every minute of it. I thought it was hard to see through and in low light situations (the first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes of daylight) you can't see through it at all. Last year I put the Ultra Dot on it and love it. There's no magnification and much easier to see through. Actually, I've found that you actually look past it, not really through it and it makes it easier to acquire your target.

I agree with you guys about the trigger pull, it's really hard. I'd like to get it worked sometime.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Redneck or Stone Cutter

How do you like that red dot? I recently got one and like it a lot better than I thought I would. Mine is mounted on a 12 inch barrelled Contender that I take along with a 338 when I sit on my stand adjacent to a big beaver pond. I use the 44 Contender to kill beavers and the red dot makes that easy to do even at extended ranges. I had the same experience with a Leupold handgun scope on that Contender as Stone Cutter.

The OP didn't ask about sights, so he must be planning to use those that come on the revolver he chooses and both the Ruger or the Smith factory sights are fine for what he wants to do.

Last edited by BobWills; 04/28/16.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah no optics for My purpose, factory open sights will be fine....I have been looking at Gunbroker and found a few Ruger blackhawks in .45 LC with 5.5" barrel, this gun interests Me along with the Smith 629 5" ....I know either gun would easily do what I'm asking.........Hb

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
[Linked Image]

There be mine. The top one is a 5 incher, the bottom 5.5". I love the 45 Colt. Like gunner pointed out, the 270 grain Penn Thunderhead is a hammer. Also hear good things about the old 270 grain SAA.

Nice looking pair of thumpers there CT. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
629 S&W PC V-Comp 5" 44 magnum. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
[Linked Image]

There be mine. The top one is a 5 incher, the bottom 5.5". I love the 45 Colt. Like gunner pointed out, the 270 grain Penn Thunderhead is a hammer. Also hear good things about the old 270 grain SAA.

Nice looking pair of thumpers there CT. smile

Gracias, amigo!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Try to find a 5" Model 29 Classic or Classic DX. They will come at a premium, but will be worth the bit of extra coin. They are pre-lock, and have the endurance package, as well as having a full underlug.

Based on your range and intended target, I would recommend a load of 10 grains Unique and a 240/250 Cast SWC. That load will kill any whitetail alive and be very easy to shoot well, and easy on the gun.

Eye candy:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW, we have a long running 44 magnum pics and discussion thread here at the fire. Just google it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Exactly. And that Lyman bullet number 429421 over 10 grains of Unique is also a good hog killer as well. With a hard cast linotype bullet, it will pass through most any deer/hog sized and weight range game.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hb,

Just curious, but what handguns do you currently have that are above .358" bore diameter? wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mac & Bob have the info. and loads! Just listen they have been there and done that..!,

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The only hangun I own with bore diameter above .357 is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special I have for a truck gun......also I quit reloading many years ago so I will only be shooting factory ammo.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Mackay, At one time I owned a 629 Classic DX 6.5" that shot better than I could hold it but as with many other great guns I have sold over the years someone else owns it now.....ha!.............Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only hangun I own with bore diameter above .357 is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special I have for a truck gun......also I quit reloading many years ago so I will only be shooting factory ammo.......Hb

That answers that question; thanks.

Good truck gun, BTW.

Factory ammo makes the .44Mag a damned fine, and very clear, choice.

The Rugers are tanks; the S&Ws are rather fine, well balanced pieces. To 40 yards or so, nothing will every know the difference.

Consider the Ruger Blackhawk and Bisley Blackhawk.

I'll keep eyes and ears peeled for you as well.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I really like the Bisley Blackhawk but its not made in a 5.5" stainless, thats why the 45 LC has My interest, it is available in a Bisley model 5.5" stainless, a very handsome looking revolver to My eyes.........also I think There are enough choices in factory heavy hunting loads to find something it would shoot reasonably well.....I like the ballistics of the Buffalo Bore load with the 225 grain Barnes copper bullet, a Whitetail hit in the right spot with that load has had a bad day........Ha!.........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the Bisley Blackhawk but its not made in a 5.5" stainless, thats why the 45 LC has My interest, it is available in a Bisley model 5.5" stainless, a very handsome looking revolver to My eyes.........also I think There are enough choices in factory heavy hunting loads to find something it would shoot reasonably well.....I like the ballistics of the Buffalo Bore load with the 225 grain Barnes copper bullet, a Whitetail hit in the right spot with that load has had a bad day........Ha!.........Hb

That is a fine and versatile choice that can be loaded up or down to suit your needs or the game on the menu. The Williams Shooters Supply dealer exclusive 5 1/2-inch .45 Colt Bisley is a home run as far as I am concerned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The .44 Mag Bisley is another good one that will take whatever loads you can throw at it.

[Linked Image]

I would opt for a .44 or .45 over the .357 only in that you can load the bigger calibers down to pleasantly mild levels, but the .357 will never be able to make up for its lack of diameter. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! Those are some beautiful revolvers and great pics of some good times......how accurate is your Bisley 45 LC? And whats the trigger pull?..........Thanks Hb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobWills
Redneck or Stone Cutter

How do you like that red dot? I recently got one and like it a lot better than I thought I would.
For tired old eyes a red-dot on a handgun used for hunting is da bomb..

I've got 4 of 'em on various handguns - and it sure helps, especially in low-light situations when a typical crosshair just isn't visible..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 5.5" Bisley BH can be had. I had one. It was very accurate.

The trigger pulls normally are not bad from the factory, and a "poor boy trigger job" takes but seconds to reduce poundage by about 50% (entirely reversible as well).

Remember, though, that barrels can easily be made shorter. wink

Since Whitworth1 is talking, listen and listen closely. Max knows his schit about this topic beyond almost anyone else.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

566 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.