Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent news! I heard conflicting reports on accuracy for Ruger Blackhawks but I am leaning hard toward a stainless Blackhawk Bisley frame in 45 Long Colt with a 5.5" barrel just like Whitworths beautiful gun..........Hb

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will be very pleased. BT/DT.

Check the classified here; they do pop up.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Wow! Those are some beautiful revolvers and great pics of some good times......how accurate is your Bisley 45 LC? And whats the trigger pull?..........Thanks Hb

It was very accurate out of the box and the trigger, while not the best, was okay. It's a great package as far as I'm concerned and a fantastic caliber that can be loaded from mild to wild and every degree in between.

4ager -- thanks for the kind words!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't care for the Ruger Bisley frames. Like the Dragoon.
But then my rigs shoot 240's or lighter.
I've whacked most of my deer with .44's running 180's and 200's maxed out on W296.
Smiths got Hogue rubber fingergroove grips.
Only Pachmayr I like is the gripper, and only on a Contender LOL.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/29/16.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Excellent news! I heard conflicting reports on accuracy for Ruger Blackhawks but I am leaning hard toward a stainless Blackhawk Bisley frame in 45 Long Colt with a 5.5" barrel just like Whitworths beautiful gun..........Hb

Good choice.

Here are a couple of 5 shot 1.5" groups (25 yards) from my stainless Ruger Bisley 45 Colt (convertible). I used Winchester brass, 250 gr Speer Deep Curl bullets, and Federal Gold Medal Large Pistol primers for both. The top group burned 23.5 grains of 4227, and the lower group used 25.5 of H110. POA is where I have printed "Ruger Bisley 45 Colt". I adjusted the sights another day. These were the among the first and last loads I worked up for the Bisley, so far, and figured they'd work on deer. They do.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice shooting! I would be tickied to death if mine even shot close to that..........Hb

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mackay, At one time I owned a 629 Classic DX 6.5" that shot better than I could hold it but as with many other great guns I have sold over the years someone else owns it now.....ha!.............Hb

That is one fine piece!

I have a a 629 Classic power port with a (I think) 6.5" tube. I keep forgetting all about it. It wears a bushnell holosight and is sighted in at 100 yards for the 10 grain Unique/240 cast SWC load.

This reminds me that I really need to dust it off. I keep contemplating selling it, since I almost always run a 5" gun or my 6.5" 29-2, but then I come to my senses. Pre lock, endurance package Classic series Model 29s/629s are Stellar!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Are you set on a revolver? If not get a Glock 20 model 40.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Mackay, At one time I owned a 629 Classic DX 6.5" that shot better than I could hold it but as with many other great guns I have sold over the years someone else owns it now.....ha!.............Hb

That is one fine piece!

I have a a 629 Classic power port with a (I think) 6.5" tube. I keep forgetting all about it. It wears a bushnell holosight and is sighted in at 100 yards for the 10 grain Unique/240 cast SWC load.

This reminds me that I really need to dust it off. I keep contemplating selling it, since I almost always run a 5" gun or my 6.5" 29-2, but then I come to my senses. Pre lock, endurance package Classic series Model 29s/629s are Stellar!

I've never known anybody with a 29/629 Classic that didn't love it. I For my money the post Endurance Package, pre-lock Smiths are the cream of the crop.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by viking
Are you set on a revolver? If not get a Glock 20 model 40.
yeah, I'm a revolver guy, I recently sold all My semiauto pistols and now only own revolvers......I have owned several Glock pistols including a model 20, 21,and 23 but never really warmed up to them as i could never shoot them as accurately as my revolvers.......Hb

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let me put this a different way.

S&W PC 629-5 V-Comp 5" 44 Magnum, 18 round group @50'

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice group....is that @ 50yds of 50 ft?..........Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That is one fine piece!

I've never known anybody with a 29/629 Classic that didn't love it. I For my money the post Endurance Package, pre-lock Smiths are the cream of the crop.

Agreed!

[Linked Image]

Black Cows Matter!
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For your purposes a 4-6 inch 29/629 would be my choice. I hunted with a Super 14 Contender for years with a 2x - 6x scope (tried several). While I do like a 2x scope beyond 50 yards or so (just personal preference) there is no real advantage at your preferred range and the revolvers sure carry better than the Contenders. I do see the appeal of red dots and may have to try one some time.
Since we aren't allowed rifles for deer in Iowa I went with the long-barreled Contender with scope to make it the most rifle-like. It worked and I did feel more comfortable on the few 75+ yard shots I tried. My buck this year fell to a S&W Mountain Gun in 41 mag with open sights at 42 yards and I didn't wish for my Contender at all.

I love the looks of those 5inch full lug Smiths. Perfect proportions for an N frame in my opinion.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
On the 29/629 I like the looks of the standard better than the full lug.
240's and under, endurance package proly not needed.
Broke my 629-1 4" after a couple cylinders of 300's. Used gun but was fine before that. Smith fixed it for $5 (trigger pivot broke, would still work but only in SA since the sideplate was only side holding pin correct). DA the hammer would just wiggle LOL.

Buddy shot The Masters so he called Roy Jinx from work and we got it all set up.

Sold that rig for a 6". 50 yards and 4", even with good eyes, took a bit more concentration.

Might get a 4 or 6" again (or both). Prices silly. And I really don't jack with handgunning deer much (don't have a good enough spot to mess around these days- used to).

Contender or SRH 9.5"..........I carry grip in left hand, barrel over crook of elbow. TC also had sling. If I find a super deal on a SRH 9.5" I might snag it and put a bbl band on it and stud in grip........sling it.

If I buck out in bow this yr might drag the Python out for a doe tag. But could fill buck and doe by bow, don't need more than 2 in the freezer.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/30/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I might have screwed up. Passed a while back on a 29 Hunter.
Non fluted cylinder with 4 position front sight, 6".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The very early Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks were spotty as far as accuracy goes. Ruger farmed out barrels. I'm the 80's I shot a lot of pistol silhouette and I still had a FFL. I went through a few Super Blackhawks before I found one that was very accurate. I believe any Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk made in the last 30 years aught to be good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The very early Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks were spotty as far as accuracy goes. Ruger farmed out barrels. I'm the 80's I shot a lot of pistol silhouette and I still had a FFL. I went through a few Super Blackhawks before I found one that was very accurate. I believe any Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk made in the last 30 years aught to be good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice group....is that @ 50yds of 50 ft?..........Hb

50' (feet) smile

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Bugger

Had 4 SBH. Two of them 3 screws. None were bad, but two were fantastic (one OM and one NM).

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

261 members (360bull, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 338reddog, 40 invisible), 1,542 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,444
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.