Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
That is surprising Doc, I would not have imagined that load capable of easy pass throughs with the hollow point bullet especially @60yds....Wow!............Thanks Hb

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have considered investing in a RCBS reloading kit but I dont think I would get a lot of use out of it as I dont shoot near as much as I used to........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
That is surprising Doc, I would not have imagined that load capable of easy pass throughs with the hollow point bullet especially @60yds....Wow!............Thanks Hb

I think the mild velocity works to limit expansion and increase penetration. I reload rifles but not handgun ammo and this stuff is cheap,lightweight because of the aluminium cases and plenty accurate and deadly on critters. The velocity is really right between 44 mag and 44 special,which turns out to be good place to be. I also shoot it my Smith 629 Mountain Gun where it works fine killing hogs in traps but the shorter sight radius and lighter weight makes it harder kicking and less shootable.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thats good info Doc, I will definitely give a box of these a try.....really nothing to lose here as this load is very reasonable..........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crimson Tide,
I have an Accusport 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk just like yours. I use the 45-270-SAA loaded with 13.5 grains of HS6 for about 1100fps. Great deer load. To the OP, I have used a 629 with 240grain XTPs, and a 7.5" Redhawk with 225 grain Speer half jacket SWC hollowpoint to kill deer in Ohio. Any 200 plus grain load that you can hit a paper plate with at 40 yards should smoke a whitetail.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B2

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very good Ron but will I get a complete pass through with these any 200+ grain loads?......The only Whitetail I ever killed with a 44 Mag was shot with a Winchester 240 grain partition gold factory load @25yds broadside And I didnt get a pass through, the deer ran 150 yds or so into a clearcut with a very sparse blood trail, I had some difficulty finding the deer and I really dont want to repeat this scenario.........Thanks for the info.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
There is a Blackhawk Bisley .45 LC on GB that is sorely tempting me at the moment!.......Ha..........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
There is a Blackhawk Bisley .45 LC on GB that is sorely tempting me at the moment!.......Ha..........Hb

Get. It.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My 5.5 Inch stainless Bisley in 45 Colt, is the last handgun that will leave my possession. MUCH can be done with that particular pistol.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
My 5.5 Inch stainless Bisley in 45 Colt, is the last handgun that will leave my possession. MUCH can be done with that particular pistol.

With all due respect.... GFY.

wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Be sure to look up the hunting regs in the state you will hunt in, as there are some really stupid relatively recent restrictions that might dictate your deer handgun.

Missouri, for instance, now requires the gun have at least a 6" barrel, and expanding bullets. In my early years in the state, my .44 with Keith 429421s was just fine. Not now.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
You are exactly right, the hunting regs change sometimes dramatically from state to state.....I will only be handgun hunting in Virginia for what I call My spaghetti deer ( first one that comes by...ha!) I like to kill a deer and get the whole thing ground other than the backstrsps, I use it for spaghetti sauce manwhich sauce and chili.....I have not used ground beef in years.........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GF1
Be sure to look up the hunting regs in the state you will hunt in, as there are some really stupid relatively recent restrictions that might dictate your deer handgun.

Missouri, for instance, now requires the gun have at least a 6" barrel, and expanding bullets. In my early years in the state, my .44 with Keith 429421s was just fine. Not now.

I can't seem to find that, do you have a link?

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by GF1

I can't seem to find that, do you have a link?

I've not seen this 6" barrel requirement. Like Sarge, I'm curious where you found that in the hunting regulations?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Straight off the MDC website at http://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/species/deer/deer-seasons-hours

Halfway down the page under Allowed-

"Centerfire pistols, revolvers or rifles using expanding-type bullets such as lead or copper."

The only prohibited ammunition is-

Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
Full hard metal case projectiles

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/24/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VaHillbilly, if you are looking for a hole on both sides, then a cast semi wadcutter in the 240-250 drain range may be the load for you. anything above 950 fps should sail right through a broadside whitetail at 40-50 yards.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Good advice Ron.........I like it.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First hand experience with your revolver times THREE. I managed kill permits for well over a decade in your state. Though I mostly used archery tackle, I could not begin to estimate the total number I shot between the three RedHawks. Do yourself a favor and get a box of this:

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-pistol-ammo/44-magnum/#

I have nothing to sell, I am not a pitch man for anyone, I do not try to sell magazine articles, but I do like the Redhawk, and my last is the Hunter. The 240XTP has worked well, I've used it on deer, black bear, and boar. My favorite hand load runs the bullet a tad slower than the factory HDY load, and I favor the results. The above listed Black Hill load is a near duplicate of my hand load using this 240XTP. It shoots tiny groups near as well, and it just plain works. If it is a meat deer, you'll be picky on your shots to maximize both quality and quantity of the yield.

I used wide meplat hard cast in various backup handguns when I was camping, fishing, or hunting with archery tackle around large bear. For last ditch aggressive shot placements, from just about any angle, they are the ticket. But, on traditional hunting shot presentations on deer, I do favor the XTP at the Black Hills velocity range. I switched to this from the traditional Keith load. On these hunting shot presentations, the expansion of the XTP is a benefit, while giving ample penetration.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 05/24/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not currently hunting VA, but if the laws have not changed, I can give you some advice on tracking in your neck. I was heavily involved with getting new and young hunters, many with archery tackle, involved in the sport. Though he is retired now, I trained and kept a companion tracking dog. He could track and find anything. He travelled all over the map with me, to include hunting in VA. At the time, in VA, as long as you grounded your hunting weapon, it was legal. I had rescued the son of the director, so he was helpful to me then, and my legal guidance came directly from his office. Otherwise, if you did not ground the weapon, then technically you were continuing the hunt, and then the regs would apply reference hunting dogs. My dog easily recovered quite a number of game animals killed in very rugged terrain.

Something to consider, when in rugged mountains, where a deer can get lost quick.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Gary, sounds like you are very familiar with My neck of the woods cause it is most certainly rugged..........Thanks for the advice and first hand knowledge on the ammo (very valuable indeed) I will try a box and see how well My guns like them..........Hb

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 63 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.