Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I want a 44 Magnum handgun to kill a freezer deer or two when a close range opportunity presents itself, I like the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel or the Smith 629 with 5" or 6.5" barrel though I'm not really crazy about having an integral lock on My handgun.... I would like to hear some thoughts on these revolvers and barrel length recommendations from handgun hunters based on My criteria........Thanks Hb

GB1

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Redhawks are great guns...my last handgun deer kill was a 7.5" .44 Magnum with a 2X Leupold scope on it. A 5.5" for a field carry gun isn't too big if you have the right holster.

As to a Smith, having looked at the fit and finish of the new ones I would look for a nice clean used one on one of the auction sites. I have one of the 6.5" .41 Magnums made in the 1990s that is called a Hunter that is the same as the .44 Magnum Classics. You can find them in both 5" and 6.5". I had one of the 5" .44s and it was a great shooter.

Good luck...Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Over a 15 year period I killed about a dozen deer with .44 and 45 handguns, primarily a 4" S&W 29-2 and 5 1/2" Redhawk. If I was starting over today it would be with a 5 1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
17 or 18 years or so back I started handgun hunting deer with a 7.5" Redhawk. Got bored with it after a decade or so and went out with a SBH 7.5" Hunter for a season. Didn't like it so much and bought me a 5" 629-3, love it. Got a little bored a year or so back and bought another Redhawk only a 5.5" barrel. After toying with it a bit I remembered why I liked the Smith so much, I'm glad I kept it. That unfired Redhawk will be hitting the auction block one of these days.

I feel the 7.5" barrel on the Ruger offers a little better sight radius than the 5" on my Smith, but I've made clean kills out to 90+yds with both.

I really like rubber Hogue grips on my hunting handguns. With these on each, the Ruger tends to thump on my middle finger. My Smith does nothing of the kind.

If I were going to shoot 1000's full house loads till my wrist gave out I would probably find the Ruger would outrun my Smith, but this isn't something I'm going to do. Throughout the year I'll shoot 95% medium power loads and a handful, if that, 'heavy' loads through my 44. As for accuracy, I can shoot just as well with both.

The fit & finish on this Smith, or any of my S&W's, easily tops any of the Rugers I ever owned. Not bad talking Ruger at all, just like my Smith's better.

The 44mag will easily do want you want it to on a VA whitetail. A 41mag would be a cool choice as well. If I were starting over and were only going to shoot whitey with it I'd probably go that direction.

FWIW, I have a nifty 6" 586(357) that will probably kill a whitetail this fall.

Black Cows Matter!
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Good stuff Guy's.....From what I can gather so far the biggest complaint with the Ruger is a very heavy trigger pull, I need to handle one and find out for Myself but Ruger Redhawks are hard to locate in My neck of the woods, seems every gunshop has a 629 though......This gun wont see many heavy loads as I will be shooting mostly 44 Special ammo till hunting season rolls around then I will likely be shooting the Barnes 225 grain 44 Mag factory ammo........Hb

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have tamed several Redhawk triggers by reducing/lightly stoning the hammer notch and installing a trigger stop via the port that contains the trigger guard lock plunger. As the design gets both hammer and trigger return tension from a single spring, you can't lighten the pull weight but you can produce a crisp, no over-travel 3 1/2 to 4 lb SA trigger. On a gun that heavy, that is plenty good.

They are excellent revolvers otherwise.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If I was starting over today it would be with a 5 1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt.

I started with a 45 Colt and would not look any further.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
If I was starting over today it would be with a 5 1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt.

I started with a 45 Colt and would not look any further.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^These^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A good 45 Colt revolver with adjustable sights, I like the 270 gr Thunderhead bullet around 1100 fps.

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
[Linked Image]

There be mine. The top one is a 5 incher, the bottom 5.5". I love the 45 Colt. Like gunner pointed out, the 270 grain Penn Thunderhead is a hammer. Also hear good things about the old 270 grain SAA.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Two nice looking revolvers.....either one would be excellent for My needs.......what about the new Ruger Super Blackhawk from Lipsey's in .454/45 Colt with the 6.5" barrel....seems it would also fit My needs very well.........Hb

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My dad killed a mule deer one day with a 1900's colt saa in 38.40 which is the same as the .40s&w through the folded down windshield of a model A truck.
I don't see a lot of major difference in many ways between .41magnum, 44magnum, or 45colt subject to the bullets used, except the 45colt seems to do it with less blast and snorting.
Rugers are fine handguns, and the choice for really heavy loads. But owning both, it's like comparing a VW to a porsche to a smith.
I think personally the little longer barrel say six inch and longer sighting radius makes them a little easier to use.
I have a classic in the 29 in 44magnum. It's a real decent gun. But i still can't warm up to it in a way, and it's not the keylock. It's just the older smiths seem to ring the chime more.
to answer your other question, a 454 would be using a howitzer to kill a mouse.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/28/16.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
I want a 44 Magnum handgun to kill a freezer deer or two when a close range opportunity presents itself, I like the Ruger Redhawk 5.5" barrel or the Smith 629 with 5" or 6.5" barrel though I'm not really crazy about having an integral lock on My handgun.... I would like to hear some thoughts on these revolvers and barrel length recommendations from handgun hunters based on My criteria........Thanks Hb
This little beauty has worked very well for me and it's eerily accurate.

[Linked Image]

It's a .44 Mag w/9.5" barrel. I have its near-twin with a 7.5" barrel but in .45LC/.454C.. The one in the pic is the most accurate though..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
VA,
I bought a S&W model 69 L frame .44 magnum off the classifieds here in November to do the same thing you are asking about. The slightly smaller L frame fits my hands nicely and I don't mind having one less charge hole since it's a hunting gun. What I really love about it is the lighter weight as compared to the 629 or the Rugers. Having it on my side doesn't feel like a cinder block strapped to my waist!

I love Smith wheelguns, but I do see value in the Rugers for hunting purposes. They are tanks.

BTW, I still love the stainless Omega muzzleloader I bought from you years ago. It's been a killing machine!

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If you think of a handgun as something that rides in a hip holster.......357 on up ought to do it. 6" barrel, plus or minus an inch.

4" works but I think a little longer helps with irons.

Not a fan of Redhawks, or Ruger SA anymore, went Smith yrs ago and have preferred them since.

If you think an optic is needed, and don't care about hip carry............a 9.5" Superredhawk might be a great choice. The one my dad had shot fantastic. I popped an 8 pt at 150 with it (worked but won't do it again- limit my shots to 100 and under nowadays).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
After yrs of .44 mag, I have dropped to a .357.
And shoot 50 yards and in.
I prefer to fill doe tags by bow, but tolerate handgun.
6" Smith 686 (pre lawyer lock) is my next rig.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I also have a couple of Contenders.
One as rifle, the other as handgun.

Think a .22 mag and .357 mag, both 14"...........would be sweet.

Alas, my bbls not in those chamberings.

Might do some horsetrading this weekend smile

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i bought one of those super redhawks years ago in 44magnum and it was what got me into casting. I like that scope. The idea being to shoot something at relative close range. I think it needs a bipod and you need to wear suspenders if it's on a belt.
I have once or twice fired some loads in it most people don't want to shoot all six.
having said that i popped a pretty good size elk a few years ago with a 41magnum, 210grain golddots. It was alreay wounded, and couldn't get up but i finished her with the revolver. One right behind the head it bulged her eyes out from the pressure, and smoke coming from her mouth to put it bluntly. I should have shot her with the revolver to begin with, it would have put her down. And she was a lot larger than any deer you are going to run into.
I remember brian pearce saying he put a 44special clear through an elk, and i believe it. few months ago i was slinging a 310grain lee cast bullet, powdrcoated, through a contender. It went through 7gallon milk jugs. Next time i do that its going to be `12 or so. But the beauty of any of these is you can load them down to reasonable levels unless you are going to deal with a grizz.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04/28/16.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by hookeye
I also have a couple of Contenders.
One as rifle, the other as handgun.

Think a .22 mag and .357 mag, both 14"...........would be sweet.

Alas, my bbls not in those chamberings.

Might do some horsetrading this weekend smile

I have a contender with a .357barrel and a real early red dot sight. I think from memory you can run that up to about 1800fps.
which is not a powder puff and would knock down any deer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

[Linked Image]

It's a .44 Mag w/9.5" barrel. I have its near-twin with a 7.5" barrel but in .45LC/.454C.. The one in the pic is the most accurate though..

what is that scope sitting on top?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
s&w mountain gun. accurate, light, classy and will only increase in value.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by Redneck

[Linked Image]

what is that scope sitting on top?
Weaver Quik Point.. (red dot)

BTW, it IS heavy.. I carry it in a large, scope-ready shoulder holster..

Last edited by Redneck; 04/28/16.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

The short answer is either one will do fine. It all depends on how each one fits your hands and how you like or dislike the action/trigger/sights/grips and that is a very personal thing. I've had both and still have the Smith, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited by BobWills; 04/28/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I use this .480 SRH. I've got a 30mm Ultra Dot on it. I had a Leupold ER 2X on it for about 10 years but hated every minute of it. I thought it was hard to see through and in low light situations (the first 15 minutes and last 15 minutes of daylight) you can't see through it at all. Last year I put the Ultra Dot on it and love it. There's no magnification and much easier to see through. Actually, I've found that you actually look past it, not really through it and it makes it easier to acquire your target.

I agree with you guys about the trigger pull, it's really hard. I'd like to get it worked sometime.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Redneck or Stone Cutter

How do you like that red dot? I recently got one and like it a lot better than I thought I would. Mine is mounted on a 12 inch barrelled Contender that I take along with a 338 when I sit on my stand adjacent to a big beaver pond. I use the 44 Contender to kill beavers and the red dot makes that easy to do even at extended ranges. I had the same experience with a Leupold handgun scope on that Contender as Stone Cutter.

The OP didn't ask about sights, so he must be planning to use those that come on the revolver he chooses and both the Ruger or the Smith factory sights are fine for what he wants to do.

Last edited by BobWills; 04/28/16.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah no optics for My purpose, factory open sights will be fine....I have been looking at Gunbroker and found a few Ruger blackhawks in .45 LC with 5.5" barrel, this gun interests Me along with the Smith 629 5" ....I know either gun would easily do what I'm asking.........Hb

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
[Linked Image]

There be mine. The top one is a 5 incher, the bottom 5.5". I love the 45 Colt. Like gunner pointed out, the 270 grain Penn Thunderhead is a hammer. Also hear good things about the old 270 grain SAA.

Nice looking pair of thumpers there CT. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
629 S&W PC V-Comp 5" 44 magnum. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gunner500
[Linked Image]

Nice looking pair of thumpers there CT. smile

Gracias, amigo!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Try to find a 5" Model 29 Classic or Classic DX. They will come at a premium, but will be worth the bit of extra coin. They are pre-lock, and have the endurance package, as well as having a full underlug.

Based on your range and intended target, I would recommend a load of 10 grains Unique and a 240/250 Cast SWC. That load will kill any whitetail alive and be very easy to shoot well, and easy on the gun.

Eye candy:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BTW, we have a long running 44 magnum pics and discussion thread here at the fire. Just google it.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Exactly. And that Lyman bullet number 429421 over 10 grains of Unique is also a good hog killer as well. With a hard cast linotype bullet, it will pass through most any deer/hog sized and weight range game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hb,

Just curious, but what handguns do you currently have that are above .358" bore diameter? wink

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mac & Bob have the info. and loads! Just listen they have been there and done that..!,

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The only hangun I own with bore diameter above .357 is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special I have for a truck gun......also I quit reloading many years ago so I will only be shooting factory ammo.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Mackay, At one time I owned a 629 Classic DX 6.5" that shot better than I could hold it but as with many other great guns I have sold over the years someone else owns it now.....ha!.............Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only hangun I own with bore diameter above .357 is a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special I have for a truck gun......also I quit reloading many years ago so I will only be shooting factory ammo.......Hb

That answers that question; thanks.

Good truck gun, BTW.

Factory ammo makes the .44Mag a damned fine, and very clear, choice.

The Rugers are tanks; the S&Ws are rather fine, well balanced pieces. To 40 yards or so, nothing will every know the difference.

Consider the Ruger Blackhawk and Bisley Blackhawk.

I'll keep eyes and ears peeled for you as well.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I really like the Bisley Blackhawk but its not made in a 5.5" stainless, thats why the 45 LC has My interest, it is available in a Bisley model 5.5" stainless, a very handsome looking revolver to My eyes.........also I think There are enough choices in factory heavy hunting loads to find something it would shoot reasonably well.....I like the ballistics of the Buffalo Bore load with the 225 grain Barnes copper bullet, a Whitetail hit in the right spot with that load has had a bad day........Ha!.........Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the Bisley Blackhawk but its not made in a 5.5" stainless, thats why the 45 LC has My interest, it is available in a Bisley model 5.5" stainless, a very handsome looking revolver to My eyes.........also I think There are enough choices in factory heavy hunting loads to find something it would shoot reasonably well.....I like the ballistics of the Buffalo Bore load with the 225 grain Barnes copper bullet, a Whitetail hit in the right spot with that load has had a bad day........Ha!.........Hb

That is a fine and versatile choice that can be loaded up or down to suit your needs or the game on the menu. The Williams Shooters Supply dealer exclusive 5 1/2-inch .45 Colt Bisley is a home run as far as I am concerned.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The .44 Mag Bisley is another good one that will take whatever loads you can throw at it.

[Linked Image]

I would opt for a .44 or .45 over the .357 only in that you can load the bigger calibers down to pleasantly mild levels, but the .357 will never be able to make up for its lack of diameter. JMHO.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! Those are some beautiful revolvers and great pics of some good times......how accurate is your Bisley 45 LC? And whats the trigger pull?..........Thanks Hb

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobWills
Redneck or Stone Cutter

How do you like that red dot? I recently got one and like it a lot better than I thought I would.
For tired old eyes a red-dot on a handgun used for hunting is da bomb..

I've got 4 of 'em on various handguns - and it sure helps, especially in low-light situations when a typical crosshair just isn't visible..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 5.5" Bisley BH can be had. I had one. It was very accurate.

The trigger pulls normally are not bad from the factory, and a "poor boy trigger job" takes but seconds to reduce poundage by about 50% (entirely reversible as well).

Remember, though, that barrels can easily be made shorter. wink

Since Whitworth1 is talking, listen and listen closely. Max knows his schit about this topic beyond almost anyone else.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent news! I heard conflicting reports on accuracy for Ruger Blackhawks but I am leaning hard toward a stainless Blackhawk Bisley frame in 45 Long Colt with a 5.5" barrel just like Whitworths beautiful gun..........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You will be very pleased. BT/DT.

Check the classified here; they do pop up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! Those are some beautiful revolvers and great pics of some good times......how accurate is your Bisley 45 LC? And whats the trigger pull?..........Thanks Hb

It was very accurate out of the box and the trigger, while not the best, was okay. It's a great package as far as I'm concerned and a fantastic caliber that can be loaded from mild to wild and every degree in between.

4ager -- thanks for the kind words!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I don't care for the Ruger Bisley frames. Like the Dragoon.
But then my rigs shoot 240's or lighter.
I've whacked most of my deer with .44's running 180's and 200's maxed out on W296.
Smiths got Hogue rubber fingergroove grips.
Only Pachmayr I like is the gripper, and only on a Contender LOL.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/29/16.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Excellent news! I heard conflicting reports on accuracy for Ruger Blackhawks but I am leaning hard toward a stainless Blackhawk Bisley frame in 45 Long Colt with a 5.5" barrel just like Whitworths beautiful gun..........Hb

Good choice.

Here are a couple of 5 shot 1.5" groups (25 yards) from my stainless Ruger Bisley 45 Colt (convertible). I used Winchester brass, 250 gr Speer Deep Curl bullets, and Federal Gold Medal Large Pistol primers for both. The top group burned 23.5 grains of 4227, and the lower group used 25.5 of H110. POA is where I have printed "Ruger Bisley 45 Colt". I adjusted the sights another day. These were the among the first and last loads I worked up for the Bisley, so far, and figured they'd work on deer. They do.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice shooting! I would be tickied to death if mine even shot close to that..........Hb

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mackay, At one time I owned a 629 Classic DX 6.5" that shot better than I could hold it but as with many other great guns I have sold over the years someone else owns it now.....ha!.............Hb

That is one fine piece!

I have a a 629 Classic power port with a (I think) 6.5" tube. I keep forgetting all about it. It wears a bushnell holosight and is sighted in at 100 yards for the 10 grain Unique/240 cast SWC load.

This reminds me that I really need to dust it off. I keep contemplating selling it, since I almost always run a 5" gun or my 6.5" 29-2, but then I come to my senses. Pre lock, endurance package Classic series Model 29s/629s are Stellar!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Are you set on a revolver? If not get a Glock 20 model 40.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That is one fine piece!

I have a a 629 Classic power port with a (I think) 6.5" tube. I keep forgetting all about it. It wears a bushnell holosight and is sighted in at 100 yards for the 10 grain Unique/240 cast SWC load.

This reminds me that I really need to dust it off. I keep contemplating selling it, since I almost always run a 5" gun or my 6.5" 29-2, but then I come to my senses. Pre lock, endurance package Classic series Model 29s/629s are Stellar!

I've never known anybody with a 29/629 Classic that didn't love it. I For my money the post Endurance Package, pre-lock Smiths are the cream of the crop.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by viking
Are you set on a revolver? If not get a Glock 20 model 40.
yeah, I'm a revolver guy, I recently sold all My semiauto pistols and now only own revolvers......I have owned several Glock pistols including a model 20, 21,and 23 but never really warmed up to them as i could never shoot them as accurately as my revolvers.......Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let me put this a different way.

S&W PC 629-5 V-Comp 5" 44 Magnum, 18 round group @50'

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice group....is that @ 50yds of 50 ft?..........Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That is one fine piece!

I've never known anybody with a 29/629 Classic that didn't love it. I For my money the post Endurance Package, pre-lock Smiths are the cream of the crop.

Agreed!

[Linked Image]

Black Cows Matter!
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For your purposes a 4-6 inch 29/629 would be my choice. I hunted with a Super 14 Contender for years with a 2x - 6x scope (tried several). While I do like a 2x scope beyond 50 yards or so (just personal preference) there is no real advantage at your preferred range and the revolvers sure carry better than the Contenders. I do see the appeal of red dots and may have to try one some time.
Since we aren't allowed rifles for deer in Iowa I went with the long-barreled Contender with scope to make it the most rifle-like. It worked and I did feel more comfortable on the few 75+ yard shots I tried. My buck this year fell to a S&W Mountain Gun in 41 mag with open sights at 42 yards and I didn't wish for my Contender at all.

I love the looks of those 5inch full lug Smiths. Perfect proportions for an N frame in my opinion.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
On the 29/629 I like the looks of the standard better than the full lug.
240's and under, endurance package proly not needed.
Broke my 629-1 4" after a couple cylinders of 300's. Used gun but was fine before that. Smith fixed it for $5 (trigger pivot broke, would still work but only in SA since the sideplate was only side holding pin correct). DA the hammer would just wiggle LOL.

Buddy shot The Masters so he called Roy Jinx from work and we got it all set up.

Sold that rig for a 6". 50 yards and 4", even with good eyes, took a bit more concentration.

Might get a 4 or 6" again (or both). Prices silly. And I really don't jack with handgunning deer much (don't have a good enough spot to mess around these days- used to).

Contender or SRH 9.5"..........I carry grip in left hand, barrel over crook of elbow. TC also had sling. If I find a super deal on a SRH 9.5" I might snag it and put a bbl band on it and stud in grip........sling it.

If I buck out in bow this yr might drag the Python out for a doe tag. But could fill buck and doe by bow, don't need more than 2 in the freezer.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/30/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I might have screwed up. Passed a while back on a 29 Hunter.
Non fluted cylinder with 4 position front sight, 6".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The very early Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks were spotty as far as accuracy goes. Ruger farmed out barrels. I'm the 80's I shot a lot of pistol silhouette and I still had a FFL. I went through a few Super Blackhawks before I found one that was very accurate. I believe any Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk made in the last 30 years aught to be good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The very early Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks were spotty as far as accuracy goes. Ruger farmed out barrels. I'm the 80's I shot a lot of pistol silhouette and I still had a FFL. I went through a few Super Blackhawks before I found one that was very accurate. I believe any Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk made in the last 30 years aught to be good.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice group....is that @ 50yds of 50 ft?..........Hb

50' (feet) smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Bugger

Had 4 SBH. Two of them 3 screws. None were bad, but two were fantastic (one OM and one NM).

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I am going to take a drive tomorrow and get My hands on some big bore revolvers, I want to lay hands on a Bisley Blackhawk a Redhawk 5.5" and a Smith 629 with a 6.5" and a 5" barrel....I want to get a feel for each side by side then order My gun of choice off Gunbroker on Monday...Ha!.............Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get to feeling the love for a 5.5" stainless Redhawk shoot me a PM. I've got an unfired one that's fixin' to hit GB soon.

Black Cows Matter!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone have a bisley 45 convertible they wanna part with. No one in these parts can get em since they are a williams exclusive

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Today I had a chance to handle every revolver I was considering and I have decided I need a Ruger Redhawk with 5.5" barrel and some Hogue rubber grips......My second choice would be the Blackhawk, the Smith 629 had some good features like the very smooth action and trigger pull but it seemed almost dainty when I compared it to the Rugers with their beefy top strap's and frames, also the cylinder walls on the Rugers was noticably thicker, I would equate the Smith 629 vs Ruger Redhawk to a Corvette vs a Hummer..... ........Ha!...........Hb

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yup. Redhawk is thicker.

Did they do that only to increase strength (over standard designs) or was it needed due to their manufacturing methods?

Lighter/trimmer.........is nicer on the hip IMHO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hookeye
Yup. Redhawk is thicker.

Did they do that only to increase strength (over standard designs) or was it needed due to their manufacturing methods?

Lighter/trimmer.........is nicer on the hip IMHO.

They built the revolver to scale, to withstand the .44 Magnum from the outset, unlike Smith & Wesson who adapted a revolver designed around the .44 Special.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V

They built the revolver to scale, to withstand the .44 Magnum from the outset, unlike Smith & Wesson who adapted a revolver designed around the .44 Special. [/quote] ........................This makes sense in My observation of these revolvers............Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I got My Redhawk today and the trigger in single action is awfully hard and even has a little creep, The Redhawk I handled at My Not so LGS had a much better single action trigger with zero creep so all Redhawk triggers are not created equal, My question is where can I send this revolver to get the terrible 8.5lb single action trigger pull fixed?......I cant live with this.....Should I send it back to Ruger maybe?...........Thanks Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My current Redhawk Hunter was purchased from a friend, who was unable to make the revolver work. He complained of poor accuracy, and bad trigger. I have another long time friend, who is a guild smith, and he has always performed any needed trigger work on my guns. This particular Redhawk was new, and I do not believe the original owner fired more than a hundred rounds. All I did was to detail strip the weapon, which he never did, give it a proper cleaning, which he also neglected, I knocked off a few burrs, and I applied oil and lube. I then ran my normal hunting loads through the gun, with intent to establish a bench mark for a hunting load, determine needed sights via Bowen, and to determine what I wanted to do with the trigger. With the factory trigger, this particular Redhawk ended up being the single most accurate factory Redhawk I have ever owned. My favorite 240xtp hunting load worked like a charm, and Bowen made me up a set of sights that work well. The trigger ended up being one of the better factory units that I have used, without any work from my Guild friend. I ended up leaving it as it was, and the guy I bought it from now thinks that it has a great trigger, both single and double.

So, I would not pass judgement on a Redhawk trigger, prior to proper cleaning, lubrication, and some break-in. If at that point it needs work, then I'd look toward a professional smith, having expertise and experience on said trigger. Likely, for shooting whitetails inside 40 yards, the factory trigger should clean up fine. But, if somehow it is a factory defect, then Ruger should likely make a correction.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thanks for the advice Gary, I did strip the Redhawk down last night and thoroughly clean every part then I polished with Flitz as well as I could every contact point I then lubricated with Rem oil and reassembled, I then dry fired the Revolver in single action 400 times followed by 200 times in double action, after this I retested the trigger pull with My Lyman guage and it had improved from a 8.5lb single action trigger pull to a 6.75lb single action trigger pull that has very little creep ( but it still has creep)......an improvement but still not quite what im looking for..........Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
The Redhawk I handled at the gunshop the other day had quite a nice trigger, my guess is 5lb with a very clean break and no perceptable creep so all Redhawk triggers are not created equally..........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why didn't you buy that one?

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
A very good question, I couldn't have bought it if I'd wanted to, It was in a Tennessee gun shop and I am a Virginia resident, I can buy a long gun in Tennessee but not a handgun, also My local guy could order me a brand new one that has never been on display for $824.00 out the door, The Tennessee Redhawk was $869.00 before their notorious 10% sales tax, it would cost $956.00 out the door..............Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good answer.

Now, how much is a trigger job gonna run you?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
About the price of a set of Wolff reduced power springs. They make a big difference in the Redhawk.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by 4ager
Good answer.

$125 plus $35 shipping......said the action would be butter smooth and trigger would break at a crisp 3lbs............Hb

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How about a nice 10mm? This doe was popped at 34 yds.
Bob

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Speaking of the 10mm...[Linked Image]

That was 50 yards, offhand, so I'd feel fairly confident at 40 with a rest, for sure.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Good answer.

$125 plus $35 shipping......said the action would be butter smooth and trigger would break at a crisp 3lbs............Hb

It's just money. You'll make more. Send it off, and when it comes back, you'll have what you were looking for.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good answer.

It's just money. You'll make more. Send it off, and when it comes back, you'll have what you were looking for.

This, exactly.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I agree, she ships out on Monday, only bad thing is turnaround time is 7-8 weeks....good thing I bought it well before season......Hb

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Speaking of the 10mm...[Linked Image]

That was 50 yards, offhand, so I'd feel fairly confident at 40 with a rest, for sure.

Nice target.
Bob

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I got those from a website called LETargets.com. I like them a good bit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mr Goodbody targets!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
You appear to be old too. I remember old Slim Goodbody on the Captain Kangaroo show.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We're not that old, right?

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Negative, Ghostrider.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You appear to be old too. I remember old Slim Goodbody on the Captain Kangaroo show.

I don't have a clue what you old fossils are talking about.

(Tom Terrific was my favorite)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Accurate enough to shoot rabbits in the head and still powerful enough to kill a deer beyond 40 yards, and at .410 diameter it is not giving much at all to a 44 magnum, the model 57 in 41 magnum is more than enough....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Who remembers nurse Goodbody?

[Linked Image]

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by dave284
Who remembers nurse Goodbody?

[Linked Image]

Oh yes!

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Oh yes, I remember well watching Nurse Goodbody and Dr. Cambell on Hee Haw in the 70's.........Ha! Good memories, there were several hotties on that show.........Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nurse Goodbody was much less creepy. smile

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Ha! Your right on that.........Hb

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have taken several deer with .44 mag wheelguns, most under 75 yards. Popped a small 8 pt with .357 at 50 yards. Where I shot him (on purpose) damn near anything would have worked.

Yeah, cranked up in a Contender, the .357 will zap em.

I think inside of 50 a medium weight bullet from a wheelgun ought to work.

.223..............just slapped a reddot on my Super 14. Yeah, it looks goofy, even moreso when in fwd position. Back it looks better IMHO.

Will post a pic after I fetch pizza.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just my 2 cents, but why not try a SA .44 Mag? I have put
lots of deer in the freezer with my Ruger Super Blackhawk
with 7.5 inch barrel. I have DA .44's but I do not use
them for hunting. I've always been more accurate with a
longer barreled SA.

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like the Dragoon frame of the SBH.
Have popped a few deer (makes a great groundhog gun too BTW).
But I like a Smith N frame better.
Like the SA trigger of my Smiths better, plus the ergonomics.

Did put a spring kit and polished a pre warning SBH........that one shot very well, but it was a bit on the light side trigger wise.

Last yr I had a minty 3 screw (bought for nostalgic reasons). Couple range sessions and I sold it for what I had in it.

Tastes can change.

Last edited by hookeye; 05/14/16.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I bought a Smith 629 5" to play with while i'm waiting on My Redhawk to get back from the Smith, I dont think I will try the super hot Buffalo Bore loads that I want to shoot in My Redhawk ( I dont think Buffalo Bore even recommends it) but I would like to shoot a factory load that will blow through both sides of a whitetail as I do love a good blood trail......Any suggestions? ...I have only killed 1 deer with a .44 Mag handgun, I used the Winchester factory 240gr Partition Gold load and it did not pass completely through on a broadside behind the shoulder shot @25yds.....I was disappointed in this performance......I imagine I will need to shoot some hardcast lead bullets to get My desired results..........Hb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
An LBT type 250 LFN or WFN on top of enough Unique for 1100 fps will blow right through a deer, and the load isn't even hot. A Keith 250 will do it too, but the others I mentioned make bigger holes.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think i figured out LFN (lead flat nose maybe) but i dont know what LBT or WFN stands for....please clarify.......Hb

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Lead Bullets Technology

Wide Flat Nose

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think i figured out LFN (lead flat nose maybe) but i dont know what LBT or WFN stands for....please clarify.......Hb

Lead Bullet Technology brand mold

Long Flat Nose

[Linked Image]

Wide Flat Nose

[Linked Image]

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Cool, a good looking bullet.......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those LBT WFN hammer stuff. You'll love them.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I want a bullet that will blow through and leave an exit wound with a broadside shot on a Whitetail, this could be it.....maybe a keith hardcast lead would be a good choice also but im not sure how much expansion i would get.........Hb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I want a bullet that will blow through and leave an exit wound with a broadside shot on a Whitetail, this could be it.....maybe a keith hardcast lead would be a good choice also but im not sure how much expansion i would get.........Hb

With hardcast at handgun speeds and deer level resistance you shouldn't be counting on expansion. You should count on how big of a "damage cylinder" the bullet makes while driving through. Generally the bigger the meplat the better the damage.

Notice how on those LBT designs the transition from flat meplat to nose ogive has a relatively sharp corner. You don't want a significant radius there.

The classic Keith is a good bullet, but its meplat is smaller than the LFN and WFN designs. In a 44 a Keith meplat is going to be about .270", where a LFN will go .300" and a WFN something like .340" across. Despite being full bullet diameter, the top edge of the first driving band of the Keith does not overcome the meplat size deficit. This is one technical point where I don't agree with Brian Pearce. He cites the marking up of the top of the driving band on recovered Keith bullets as evidence it was doing damage. That is true to some degree, but the damage to the target is greater with the LBT designs, never mind the appearance of bullets recovered from test medium.

The balancing act is getting a very blunt bullet to still be easy to work with. The LFN design is sometimes easier to work with than the WFN.

If you don't want to go LBT, the Lyman 429244 is a gas checked SWC design with a bigger than Keith meplat at .300" for the particular mold I've had forever. Sized to fit the cylinder throats and being gas checked, this bullet cast from wheelweight metal sweetened with a little tin is a good performer. Add enough Unique for 1100 fps or so and it will thoroughly ventilate a deer right through the shoulders and still be easy on you and the Smith 29.

Last edited by mathman; 05/17/16. Reason: fixed garbled sentence
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Excellent post Mathman, you have taught me something I didnt know........Thanks Hb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I used to cast and shoot a bunch of bullets with my father. All the tire shops that serviced the company cars kept buckets of used wheelweights for Pop. There is no telling how many Lyman 452630, 358156, 429244, and 429215's we cast and shot.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Enough Unique will be 10gr BTW. Goes 1170fps out of my 5.5" SBH and blows through stuff. Of course I never caught one when I was using 9gr either. Easy on guns, easy on your hands, but hard on critters if placed right. I've used the Lyman 429244, 429421, RCBS 250KT, and 250 WFN LBT with those loads and all were satisfactory.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Only problem is I need to find factory loads that meet my needs as I sold off all my reloading equipment several years ago........Any suggestions?..........Hb

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a buddy who doesn't reload and he only shoots Winchester white box 240gr SP out of his 4" performance center 629. I was skeptical when I first met him but he's killed a handful of black bears and one charging 8' grizzly with one shot apiece. And the grizzly was not a head shot, center of the chest at 10 yards folded him up like a cheap lawn chair. Pretty hard to argue with that.

The various 180 and 240 grain Remington loads seem much softer than either the HP or SP 240 from Winchester.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Parabellum Research does a bunch of loads for the 44 Mag. Their stock varies considerably. If you find something you like, don't expect they'll have it the week before your hunt.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

If you can find them these should leave an ouchie on critters: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/24...-lead-wide-flat-nose-gas-check-box-of-50

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Wow! For a box of 50 that aint bad at all and I bet they would put the hurt on a Whitetail.......Thanks Bearcat......Hb

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
GP100 357 factory works great.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Only problem is I need to find factory loads that meet my needs as I sold off all my reloading equipment several years ago........Any suggestions?..........Hb

In all seriousness HB,

I would find a used single stage press, used balance beam scale, used dies, and get loading again. Today's prices are simply retarded for .44 magnum ammo, if one wants to stay proficient.

It would not take long at all, when reloading .44 magnum to recoup the initial expenses.

I suppose if a guy is very well off, that is one thing, but most I know would be better off investing a little bit of money in used equipment, and simply rolling their own.

There are some very good deals to be had on used reloading stuff out there, if a guy is patient.

CHEERS!

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still use a hand press a lot for handgun hunting ammo.

During the lean years working night time security, I reloaded 45 colt ammo using a Lee Loader...

[Linked Image]

even made a custom scoop:

[Linked Image]

sexy...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just found this thread. I really like my Smith 629 Classic with a five inch barrel. I use the Speer Blaser load which gives me around 1100 fps according to my Chrony. I have killed deer very cleanly out to 60 yards with it and used it to kill a bunch of hogs. It doesn't have much recoil,it's really accurate,and it kills stuff very dead.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 05/17/16.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a Smith 629 5" to play with while i'm waiting on My Redhawk to get back from the Smith, I dont think I will try the super hot Buffalo Bore loads that I want to shoot in My Redhawk ( I dont think Buffalo Bore even recommends it) but I would like to shoot a factory load that will blow through both sides of a whitetail as I do love a good blood trail......Any suggestions? ...I have only killed 1 deer with a .44 Mag handgun, I used the Winchester factory 240gr Partition Gold load and it did not pass completely through on a broadside behind the shoulder shot @25yds.....I was disappointed in this performance......I imagine I will need to shoot some hardcast lead bullets to get My desired results..........Hb

The Blaser loads with the 240 grain hollow point have exited so far on every critter that I've shot with it.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
That is surprising Doc, I would not have imagined that load capable of easy pass throughs with the hollow point bullet especially @60yds....Wow!............Thanks Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I have considered investing in a RCBS reloading kit but I dont think I would get a lot of use out of it as I dont shoot near as much as I used to........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is surprising Doc, I would not have imagined that load capable of easy pass throughs with the hollow point bullet especially @60yds....Wow!............Thanks Hb

I think the mild velocity works to limit expansion and increase penetration. I reload rifles but not handgun ammo and this stuff is cheap,lightweight because of the aluminium cases and plenty accurate and deadly on critters. The velocity is really right between 44 mag and 44 special,which turns out to be good place to be. I also shoot it my Smith 629 Mountain Gun where it works fine killing hogs in traps but the shorter sight radius and lighter weight makes it harder kicking and less shootable.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Thats good info Doc, I will definitely give a box of these a try.....really nothing to lose here as this load is very reasonable..........Hb

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Crimson Tide,
I have an Accusport 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk just like yours. I use the 45-270-SAA loaded with 13.5 grains of HS6 for about 1100fps. Great deer load. To the OP, I have used a 629 with 240grain XTPs, and a 7.5" Redhawk with 225 grain Speer half jacket SWC hollowpoint to kill deer in Ohio. Any 200 plus grain load that you can hit a paper plate with at 40 yards should smoke a whitetail.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Very good Ron but will I get a complete pass through with these any 200+ grain loads?......The only Whitetail I ever killed with a 44 Mag was shot with a Winchester 240 grain partition gold factory load @25yds broadside And I didnt get a pass through, the deer ran 150 yds or so into a clearcut with a very sparse blood trail, I had some difficulty finding the deer and I really dont want to repeat this scenario.........Thanks for the info.......Hb

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
There is a Blackhawk Bisley .45 LC on GB that is sorely tempting me at the moment!.......Ha..........Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a Blackhawk Bisley .45 LC on GB that is sorely tempting me at the moment!.......Ha..........Hb

Get. It.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
My 5.5 Inch stainless Bisley in 45 Colt, is the last handgun that will leave my possession. MUCH can be done with that particular pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 5.5 Inch stainless Bisley in 45 Colt, is the last handgun that will leave my possession. MUCH can be done with that particular pistol.

With all due respect.... GFY.

wink

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Be sure to look up the hunting regs in the state you will hunt in, as there are some really stupid relatively recent restrictions that might dictate your deer handgun.

Missouri, for instance, now requires the gun have at least a 6" barrel, and expanding bullets. In my early years in the state, my .44 with Keith 429421s was just fine. Not now.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
You are exactly right, the hunting regs change sometimes dramatically from state to state.....I will only be handgun hunting in Virginia for what I call My spaghetti deer ( first one that comes by...ha!) I like to kill a deer and get the whole thing ground other than the backstrsps, I use it for spaghetti sauce manwhich sauce and chili.....I have not used ground beef in years.........Hb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GF1
Be sure to look up the hunting regs in the state you will hunt in, as there are some really stupid relatively recent restrictions that might dictate your deer handgun.

Missouri, for instance, now requires the gun have at least a 6" barrel, and expanding bullets. In my early years in the state, my .44 with Keith 429421s was just fine. Not now.

I can't seem to find that, do you have a link?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1

I've not seen this 6" barrel requirement. Like Sarge, I'm curious where you found that in the hunting regulations?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Straight off the MDC website at http://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/species/deer/deer-seasons-hours

Halfway down the page under Allowed-

"Centerfire pistols, revolvers or rifles using expanding-type bullets such as lead or copper."

The only prohibited ammunition is-

Ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
Full hard metal case projectiles

Last edited by SargeMO; 05/24/16.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
VaHillbilly, if you are looking for a hole on both sides, then a cast semi wadcutter in the 240-250 drain range may be the load for you. anything above 950 fps should sail right through a broadside whitetail at 40-50 yards.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Good advice Ron.........I like it.......Hb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
First hand experience with your revolver times THREE. I managed kill permits for well over a decade in your state. Though I mostly used archery tackle, I could not begin to estimate the total number I shot between the three RedHawks. Do yourself a favor and get a box of this:

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-pistol-ammo/44-magnum/#

I have nothing to sell, I am not a pitch man for anyone, I do not try to sell magazine articles, but I do like the Redhawk, and my last is the Hunter. The 240XTP has worked well, I've used it on deer, black bear, and boar. My favorite hand load runs the bullet a tad slower than the factory HDY load, and I favor the results. The above listed Black Hill load is a near duplicate of my hand load using this 240XTP. It shoots tiny groups near as well, and it just plain works. If it is a meat deer, you'll be picky on your shots to maximize both quality and quantity of the yield.

I used wide meplat hard cast in various backup handguns when I was camping, fishing, or hunting with archery tackle around large bear. For last ditch aggressive shot placements, from just about any angle, they are the ticket. But, on traditional hunting shot presentations on deer, I do favor the XTP at the Black Hills velocity range. I switched to this from the traditional Keith load. On these hunting shot presentations, the expansion of the XTP is a benefit, while giving ample penetration.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 05/24/16.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not currently hunting VA, but if the laws have not changed, I can give you some advice on tracking in your neck. I was heavily involved with getting new and young hunters, many with archery tackle, involved in the sport. Though he is retired now, I trained and kept a companion tracking dog. He could track and find anything. He travelled all over the map with me, to include hunting in VA. At the time, in VA, as long as you grounded your hunting weapon, it was legal. I had rescued the son of the director, so he was helpful to me then, and my legal guidance came directly from his office. Otherwise, if you did not ground the weapon, then technically you were continuing the hunt, and then the regs would apply reference hunting dogs. My dog easily recovered quite a number of game animals killed in very rugged terrain.

Something to consider, when in rugged mountains, where a deer can get lost quick.

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
Gary, sounds like you are very familiar with My neck of the woods cause it is most certainly rugged..........Thanks for the advice and first hand knowledge on the ammo (very valuable indeed) I will try a box and see how well My guns like them..........Hb

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I couldn't find it either, but remember from hard copy regs last fall about the 6" restriction. Maybe it has changed, or maybe I was delusional...in any case, the expanding bullet issue remains.

It is, however, open to interpretation, as the regs compare lead and jacketed bullets to FMJ. A hard cast bullet will not expand, but may be interpreted in the legal category. Or not?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by GF1

I've not seen this 6" barrel requirement. Like Sarge, I'm curious where you found that in the hunting regulations?

Here's a link (6 years old) that shows MO does not have a length restriction. Iowa has a 4" restriction and the post shows that accordingly.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/2975/minimum-barrel-length-hunting-america

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
Crimson Tide,
I have an Accusport 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk just like yours. I use the 45-270-SAA loaded with 13.5 grains of HS6 for about 1100fps. Great deer load. To the OP, I have used a 629 with 240grain XTPs, and a 7.5" Redhawk with 225 grain Speer half jacket SWC hollowpoint to kill deer in Ohio. Any 200 plus grain load that you can hit a paper plate with at 40 yards should smoke a whitetail.

Ron

Thank you sir, I'll try that load.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C

wink

Jealousy, thy name is 4ager.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

wink

Not jealous, my friend, only regretful that I let one like that leave my possession.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

wink

Not jealous, my friend, only regretful that I let one like that leave my possession.

I thought I was going to feel that way too. In reality, the Mountain Gun has still covered all my bases.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9

wink

I thought I was going to feel that way too. In reality, the Mountain Gun has still covered all my bases.

Yes, and I'll like that Mountain Gun quite well when you drop it off down here later.... wink

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
A Smith Mountain Gun in 45 Colt is one of the top 3 revolvers Smith ever manufactured.

V
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
V
I finally got a chance to shoot My new 5" 629 Classic, I set the sights 1" high @25 yds and shot 2 different factory loads, all I had on hand was some Fiocchi 240gr SJHP and some Barnes Vortex 225gr XPB HP loads but I had some fun shooting three 5 shot groups of each load....The 240gr Fiocchi stuff averaged 2" for the 3 groups of of 5 shots (not bad) but I was pleasantly surprised to get 1" 5 shot groups out of the Vortex ammo...If this is an example of the accuracy this 629 Is capable of I think I will be very satisfied......Next I will try some of the factory loads that have been recommended to Me in this thread.........Thanks Hb

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.