-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I read something that said some bears in the park didn't hibernate this winter. Instead, they've been following wolf packs and running them off their elk kills. Usually they hibernate because of a lack of food but with the wolves active, they have all the food they need.

Has anyone heard anything about that?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I know they're out and about now and have been for a few weeks. I hadn't heard that they didn't hibernate but what you say makes sense if one didn't hibernate.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bing has nothing on it. FWIW

Stupidity is expensive
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Bears not hibernating, they don't if there is a good game of pinochle near Old Faithful, but following wolves around and eating leftovers, not likely...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bears don't hibernate.

They only go into a sleep torpor and may wake several times during the winter and come out especially if warm or den gets wet , or if they have denned in poor physical condition. They may roam around for a time before re-denning. Especially if they can or must find food.

Polar bears live in the harshest conditions of all but seldom den except to have cubs because they can find food all winter long. They are so closely related to brown/griz that they can and do mate and produce cubs that are not sterile - about the same relationship as dogs and wolves.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
According to the National park service:

For many years some people did not consider bears to be true hibernators. Mammals considered true, or deep hibernators, such as chipmunks and ground squirrels, experience a drastic decrease in body temperature during hibernation. Body temperature for hibernating bears remains above 88°F (31°C) which is within 12°F (11°C) of their normal body temperature of 100°–101°F (37.7°–38.3°C) (Bagget 1984). This allows bears to react to danger quicker than hibernators whose body temperature may be less than 40° F (4° C) and who have to warm up before they can move quickly (Bagget 1984). Many scientists now consider bears to be super hibernators. Due to the highly insulating pelts of bears and their lower surface area to mass ratio than smaller hibernators, body heat is lost slowly which enables bears to cut their metabolic rate by 50-60% (Craighead and Craighead 1972; Rogers 1981). Respirations in bears decrease from 6-10 breaths per minute normally, to 1 breath every 45 seconds during hibernation. They experience a drop in heart rate from 40-50 beats per minute during the summer to 8-19 beats per minute during hibernation. Mammals that experience lower body temperatures during hibernation, such as chipmunks and ground squirrels, must awaken every few days to raise their body temperature, move around, urinate, and eat (Rogers 1981). Grizzly bears and black bears generally do not eat, drink, defecate, or urinate during hibernation. Bears live off of a layer of fat built up during the summer and fall months prior to hibernation. Waste products are produced, however, instead of disposing of their metabolic waste, bears recycle it. The urea produced from fat metabolism (fatal at high levels) is broken down and the resulting nitrogen is used by the bear to build protein, which allows them to maintain muscle mass and organ tissues (Rogers 1981). Bears lose fat and may actually increase lean-body mass while hibernating due to this nitrogen recycling (Wickelgren 1988). Bears may lose 15-30 % of their body weight during hibernation (Rogers 1981).

So they do hibernate, but they also have the ability come out of hibernation quickly.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 04/27/16.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bears have been out up here above the. Arctic Circle (south side of the Brooks Range) for a month already. The. HS principal got a B&c 9/3 boar two weeks ago. First bear he saw that day - the first 5 dens he found that day had the occupants long gone already.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Schrap, I saw 4 wolves take down a cow elk just north of Fishing Bridge a few years ago. They had just barely gotten a mouthful each when a big griz came out and chased them off. I had a tour group on the bus and they were mortified. Everytime one of them would shriek in horror I'd ask if they wanted me to pull out and move on, but they kept telling me to stay so they could watch. It was darned interesting.

Stupidity is expensive
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
Hey Schrap, I saw 4 wolves take down a cow elk just north of Fishing Bridge a few years ago. They had just barely gotten a mouthful each when a big griz came out and chased them off. I had a tour group on the bus and they were mortified. Everytime one of them would shriek in horror I'd ask if they wanted me to pull out and move on, but they kept telling me to stay so they could watch. It was darned interesting.

I always thought wolves got meat at the grocery, and bears just ate table scrdaps. Reminds me of the stories of tour busses in McKinley watching bears eat moose calves.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman

No doubt that happens in Yellowstone, but not in the dead of winter...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Got it.

Stupidity is expensive
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nice to have scientific definitions as relevant to the definition of the word "is". smile

Nature is absolutely fascinating in all of its evolutions. No matter how we par-sect it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bears do as bears want, they don't live by someone's rule book. As Treadwell how it worked out putting bears in a box.

LOL

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 59 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.