Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Porsche, you deserve to have the time of your life....and here's to hoping that happens for you! Good Luck sir, and take some pics to share with us.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BH63
I just received an e-mail from Afton House and they quoted a price of $100.00 USD per firearm if you want pre-approval at the Jo'burg airport.

Seems to be a reasonable price to me.

BH63

Actually it is $100.00 USD for each permit, not each firearm.

My bad.

BH63

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Best of luck on your last safari!

BH63

RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yea what everybody said. By the time you include airfare and incidentals, you are up to around $10,000. I am not going to let $150 or so keep me from using a meet and greet. After an 18 hour flight from ATL the last thing I want to do is argue with SAPs. Cheap insurance, IMHO.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
My wife and I returned this past weekend from RSA and KMG safaris. We used Africa Sky as the meet and greet and spent the night there. Gilbert was a Godsend who got us through SAPS with an absolute minimum amount of hassle. The next morning he took us the where we needed to go and again, no problems. Gilbert seems to know all the right people and we were expedited through the usual process. Hunting with KMG was wonderful and I will post on that when I can post pictures. Arriving at O R Tambo was a nightmare trying to get guns luggage etc together. We could not seem to get a straight answer from anyone about where to go and what procedures we needed to follow.
All of a sudden Gilbert appeared from nowhere, helped us get what we needed and get to the right area. He was a Godsend and saved us an immense amount of aggravation and money. Sometimes using a meet and greet has hidden benefits. He is an asset to Africa Sky and a fine man in his own right. I really think sAPS is trying to upgrade the quality of their services and personnel. The officers in Joberg were polite, professional and courteous. When we arrived in PE, all seemed to go well. All the SAPS officer had to do was to stamp our paper work and we would be on our way. The large female officer stamped my paper work and then holding the forms in her hand asked me for a tip. I took my paper work and asked if she wanted a good tip? She nodded and I told her to buy low and sell high and walked out. In retrospect that may not have been a good idea but I refuse to pay a tip or bribe to a public servant for doing their jobs! Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 for Africa Sky. They rock! Glad you had a good trip, and can't wait to see the pics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gilbert was our meet and greet guy from African Sky in June 2014

Great guy.....I hope he is still with them when we return some day

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Porsche73,

Tips for ANYBODY are typical in Africa--but believe me, she was already being tipped by Africa Sky. That's part of how meet-and-greets get good service. So actually tipped her more than you did would have amounted to double-tipping....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I guess I didn't make myself clear. The SAPS officer was in PE and signing off on paper work. All she had to do was stamp the paper work. All of the other SAPS officers were polite ,helpful and professional.Porsche73

It ain't the way it used to be, but it will do.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I have also experienced "requests" in PE--but the last time I went through Joburg one of the SAPS people also asked for a little extra, even though I was using a meet-and-greet service.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not to veer the thread, but is there one country noted for "reasonable treatment" of hunters with firearms? Conversely, which country is the worst?
Will your answers be consistent with nations in political turmoil?
Thanks very much.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Which is the better place to stay,Afton House or African Sky? I am planning a trip and would like your opinions.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
African Sky has the better accommodations and Awsome rooms

Top that off with a steak for supper and a great breakfast before you leave for the airport.....Bar

I can't forget they have a nice selection of wine, beer and other liquor

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My room at Africa Sky

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ditto what ted said. Great place, great people.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 91 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.