Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/04/27/50-year-study-finds-spanking-doesnt-work/

It’s an issue that’s long plagued parents, but new research being called the most comprehensive analysis on spanking says it doesn’t work.

Researchers from the University of Texas at Austin and University of Michigan looked at 75 studies involving more than 150,000 children over 50 years. They found that children who were spanked were more likely to defy their parents.
Researchers also found children who are spanked are more likely to be aggressive and antisocial.

But many parents we spoke to like Ericka Sexton disagree, saying a little tough love teaches some valuable life lessons.

“I think we need more spankings because they did better. Kids respected elders back then, now it’s a little bit different,” she said.

Researchers did point out that the effectiveness of spanking ultimately depends on the individual child.

Kids who are spanked are more likely to be aggressive and antisocial.

Umm...

Maybe because kids who AREN'T spanked aren't likely to be aggressive and antisocial?

It's like saying that prison doesn't work because criminals are likely to commit more crimes. That's not because prisons don't work, it's because violent criminals shouldn't be on the street and allowed to commit more crimes.

Idiot liberals in Austin and Michigan.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In a college class one time, the instructor made a reference to the "fact" that confined inmates were almost without exception, had been subjected to "abuse" by parental spanking.

Me, with my big mouth and no significant clutch control, asked the 30+ class how many had ever been spanked as a child. Every hand went up. Then I asked how many had ever spent a night in a cell.

Only my hand went up.

So OK- it was more or less voluntary. I got into this bus station (Pendelton OR) at midnight- and then it closed down until 7 or so. So I was out on the street, in December, with my suitcase...

Cops came by, and inquired, then offered me a bunk. Hell, they didn't even lock the door. Made pretty good coffee in the morning too.

I pretty much liked those guys.

And to her credit, the liberal instructor actually gave me a fair grade.. Amazing!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
My parents research on the same subject matter showed results exactly opposite of those clowns.....just ask my 58 year old ass.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Best opinion on the subject that I know of is;

"He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." Prov. 13:24

Yes, I cling to my guns too.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I DO agree with them when they say that SOME kids need to be spanked, some kids do not. Removing the option because the state thinks they can parent better than me, is where we part ways. Damn busybodies.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
With my kids, we spank and started at a very young age. Not very often, but we give a well timed whack to the bum when it counts, and believe me, it is very effective.

I've seen parents absolutely ruin kids though by spanking at every opportunity, to make up for horrible parenting and a kids needs not being fulfilled. I've seen 2 year old kids in turn, punch their moms in the face, which starts a cycle of abuse between parents/kids. Watching some parents interact, or not interact with their young kids can be painful.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I spanked my daughters who are now 22 & 25 years old one time each when they were about 2, both are happy, healthy well adjusted adults. The spanking got their attention and from that time they were taught that their actions carried consequences, good actions were rewarded and bad resulted in early bedtime a penalty both really disliked. Both were scholar athletes throughout their high school and college years, the oldest graduating Summa Cum Laude. They are now pursuing careers in accounting and physical therapy.

Last edited by gunswizard; 04/27/16.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had six siblings growing up. We were spanked, and spanked hard at times, but only when we deserved it.
One brother did spend a few nights in jail, drugs.
He and the rest of us are responsible contributors to society, married, "working" (retired in two of us) and we all seem to have very normal lives.
We swatted our kids on the butt a few times, but really did not spank much.
They are doing great career and "life" wise.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
We got our butts lit up too, I agree with it, also believe a child has to learn quickly the consequences of bad decisions/actions, if they don't, there's a chance they'll learn it at the end of a homeowners 12 ga or in a prison cell.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Where I see problems are with parents that are not consistent with their spankings. They will let a kid get by with something several times before spanking. We got one warning and that was it. We knew to listen when it happened if we wanted to avoid pain. I hear parents say over and over, "if you don't quit that, I am going to whip you." Sometimes they do and most times they don't. This creates a problem. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Best opinion on the subject that I know of is;

"He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." Prov. 13:24

Yes, I cling to my guns too.

Very good post sir... Very good..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by milespatton
Where I see problems are with parents that are not consistent with their spankings. They will let a kid get by with something several times before spanking. We got one warning and that was it. We knew to listen when it happened if we wanted to avoid pain. I hear parents say over and over, "if you don't quit that, I am going to whip you." Sometimes they do and most times they don't. This creates a problem. miles

Agreed, I've seen moms counting to there kids in stores, one......two...thre.one......two......crazycrazy

If dad snapped his fingers and pointed at you or banged his knuckles on the cypress wall behind his chair because we were getting to rowdy in the house, you best heed the warning.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is far easier for them to be disciplined when they are kids, than after they become adults and the police and courts have to do it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Calvin
With my kids, we spank and started at a very young age. Not very often, but we give a well timed whack to the bum when it counts, and believe me, it is very effective.

Yep. I can remember being whacked a handful of times. Every time I deserved it, and every time it made a big impression, literally and figuratively.

I can't believe we've gotten to the point where a man can get hauled off to jail for leaving a few red marks on his kid's butt.

Repeated serious abuse is one thing. A whack on the butt every now and then is another.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Calvin

Yep. I can remember being whacked a handful of times. Every time I deserved it, and every time it made a big impression, literally and figuratively.

I can't believe we've gotten to the point where a man can get hauled off to jail for leaving a few red marks on his kid's butt.

Repeated serious abuse is one thing. A whack on the butt every now and then is another.

Exactamundo. Done early it leaves the impression that the threat is real, and hence has to be put into effect very seldom indeed.

My folks whacked my ass when I deserved jot, and I turned out OK.

But I am antisocial...or so Ive been told. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gunner500

Agreed, I've seen moms counting to there kids in stores, one......two...thre.one......two......crazycrazy

If dad snapped his fingers and pointed at you or banged his knuckles on the cypress wall behind his chair because we were getting to rowdy in the house, you best heed the warning.

Yep, reading sign was like walking a tightrope. There was always a limit and one just needed to know where that limit was or get their asz busted in our house. I admit that I normally realized where the limit was just after going by it. cry

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Today, you can go to prison FOR spanking your child. I wonder what the study would say about that?

My Dad would certainly be behind bars if he did today what he did to me back then. If he got very angry, he'd grab me by the left wrist and run me around him (sometimes fast enough to get my feet off the ground) and whip my butt and legs with the buckle end of his belt.

As a father, I spanked my daughters when they needed it - but never with an object; bare hand only. Not often and not hard. But they did learn what I considered unacceptable behavior.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by gunner500

Yep, reading sign was like walking a tightrope. There was always a limit and one just needed to know where that limit was or get their asz busted in our house. I admit that I normally realized where the limit was just after going by it. cry

My Dad was "the debil," I didn't fook with him. shocked grin

Trump Won!
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like libs have a problem with cause and effect.

Kids don't end up bad because they are spanked.

They are spanked because they are bad.

Of course, if they can convince people otherwise, it makes all those arguments about "disenfranchising felons disproportionately affects minorities more" harder to debate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't need to quote a Bible passage to feel that i earned every one of my woopings but one,in my opinion. grin

With our kids they got a spanking when young but it seemed that all Mom had to do was tell them Wait till your Father gets home.

That worked better that anything i could have done to them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

477 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 222ND, 1Longbow, 38 invisible), 1,729 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,229
Posts18,447,718
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.