Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Finding a gorgeous 99T in 300.

With a compass in the stock.

Period sling swivels I could live with. But a compass in an otherwise very high quality gun just makes me sob.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but but it helps you find your way in life confused

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I need a compass. I don't trust the electronic one in my rhino. But I got even a sadder deal. I got a marlin 336 waffle top in 35 remington. Bubba tapped ON THE FREAKING BARREL. The mount is neither plum or able to hold tightly. Why they drilled two back ones on the receiver then two on the barrel? Who thinks of this stuff?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I need a compass. I don't trust the electronic one in my rhino. But I got even a sadder deal. I got a marlin 336 waffle top in 35 remington. Bubba tapped ON THE FREAKING BARREL. The mount is neither plum or able to hold tightly. Why they drilled two back ones on the receiver then two on the barrel? Who thinks of this stuff?

My question is,,,,,,,,,,,,,WHY in God's name did you buy it?????????????????

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the day that seems to have been the accepted practice for D&T on the 336. I've got one with the barrel tap too. Mine was given to me when Dad bought the .308 F.

Makes no sense to me either but have seen many done that way.

Calhoun, buy it and get the stock fixed. Problem resolved.

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy it and leave the compass in place. Everyone should have a little bit of kitsch in his life! Kinda like having a plastic pink flamingo in the front yard. (Thanks to John Waters that is actually a mark of distinction among the hip set around Baltimore.) You too could be tragically hip!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Meh, got a couple of really nice 99T's so I can let this one go. Compass is on the top of the buttstock, so no fix is going to be worth it. It is what it is.

Too bad Les isn't still around. This is just screaming his name. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought the 336 waffle top for $450. I can get it fixed for $40. The seller is willing to split the cost. I need inventory for lever fest west! Nutting thumps elk like a 220 grain 35 Rem! (That is my story and I am sticking to it!)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The other D and T waffle top I got 4 $420 shot a .65 inch two shot group in 15 mph wind leaning over a Chevy venture hood using a synthetic saddle bag as a rest at 110 yards. Lever lotion 200 grain ammo. Leupold vxr 2x7. I am freaking JACKED!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
those Savage stick pins must be about the same size as those stock compasses, yes?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Who cares. I would have bought it in a heart beat. At one time in the past that sort of thing was cool. The older I get the less I find myself concerned bout things like kick pads, sling swivels and the dreaded after market drilling. If it was done good and the rifle is still in nice shape then so what?! These things were largely done by guys who used their rifles and that's as good a footnote on the history of the 99 as it gets. I'll take the bargains.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
As more and more of the really nice "collectible" specimens disappear into safes, never to see the light of day again, I see nice ones with some very minor issues gaining foothold among collectors starting out.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Buy it and leave the compass in place. Everyone should have a little bit of kitsch in his life! Kinda like having a plastic pink flamingo in the front yard. (Thanks to John Waters that is actually a mark of distinction among the hip set around Baltimore.) You too could be tragically hip!

While at MD U in 74-76 they played the movie Pink Flamingos over and over. My neighbor across the hall watched it night after night, and described it every night. I never went to see the movie, and never wanted to see a Pink Flamingo since, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by S99VG
Who cares. I would have bought it in a heart beat. At one time in the past that sort of thing was cool. The older I get the less I find myself concerned bout things like kick pads, sling swivels and the dreaded after market drilling. If it was done good and the rifle is still in nice shape then so what?! These things were largely done by guys who used their rifles and that's as good a footnote on the history of the 99 as it gets. I'll take the bargains.

I got plenty of 99T's with d&t and sling swivels and even one with a recoil pad and cheek piece buttstock.

No 99's at all with compasses.

They drive me nuts.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The compass is always a hoot. Seems to me it would do nothing more than point at the receiver and barrel. I'd take one if it didn't look like it was in letted with a dull pocket knife or sharp rock. I might even nick name the rifle "Pathfinder", after Natty Bumpoo in "Last of the Mohicans."

Last edited by S99VG; 04/28/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I kind of want on with a compass in the buttstock. It's pure Americana history and I like that stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been lost could use a compass.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Might not be ideal but I could live with a compass…personally, I would prefer that to a cut stock.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I could live with a compass, especially if it got me a model I wanted and couldn't afford unbuggered, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Marlin 336s and Remington 14/141s that weren't factory d&t often had the front base mounted on the barrel. Williams has a very nice 141 in 35 Rem that has been d&t in that manner.

I have a Marlin 336SC in 35 that has an older Williams 1-piece mount that has the 2 front screws d&t in the barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think a one piece might have been better. This is a two piece and the front appears kitty wampus. I cannot bore sight a 30mm Burris tube.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think I'd have to be pretty lost to trust one of those little bent-needle butt compasses. I think I'd dig it out and glue in a buffalo head nickle, so I could call one of my friends on a pay phone when I finally made it out to a road.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The old timers I knew carried their compasses in their pockets or pinned them on their suspenders or Malone and Woolrich coats. Most of them only owned one rifle their whole life and spent a months paycheck to have it. They were proud of them and took good care of them.

What would posses somebody to drill a hole in their gun and put a compass in it?

I never have and still don't get it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Livin' large here. I'm with Scott on this one, I think it's cool as all heck.

[Linked Image]

99F in tree hunnert

[Linked Image]

Maybe one day they'll find me froze stiff up against a tree after walking in circles for 14 days in a blizzard clutching this rifle, the whole time staring at that little needle spinning around. there's worse ways to go.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Got a 94 Win. that has a compass in the stock. I kind of like it. And it does point north, not towards the receiver.

I wouldn't add one to a gun but the mere presence of one wouldn't stop me from buying.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Meh, got a couple of really nice 99T's so I can let this one go. Compass is on the top of the buttstock, so no fix is going to be worth it. It is what it is.

Too bad Les isn't still around. This is just screaming his name. grin

Hey Now, Les is the Only one, I have a Minty T in 250 that has a Compass on Top of the But Stock

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1899sav; 04/28/16.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were taught in the USMC to get 10 or 15 feet (or maybe it was 20) away from our little bitty M-16 to take a compass reading. I think they had less metal in them than a Sav. 99.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell, I used to read a compass will riding around on an M60 tank. The compass always pointed north. North is north. The compass doesn't care where it is when it's used. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The only place I wouldn't use a compass would be in the presence of a lot of electric current, such as standing under a high voltage power line. I just finished building an experiment that puts current through an 1/8" brass rod 6' long (with means to position it anywhere from 2" to 24" off the table top). Then a simple compass is placed underneath it. You would be surprised how the current effects the direction the needle points to.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/28/16.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to do a lot of field mapping with a Silva Ranger Type 15 compass - frankly the best hand held compass on the market. I had a mapping job up near the crest of the Sierra Nevada that was in a campground with a locked metal gate. Like an idiot I used the gate for a mapping datum and when I got back to the office none of my angles made any sense. The magnetic pull of the gate messed every thing up. Luckily I had more than one day of work at the site and rapidly fixed my measurements up the next morning. Lesson learned, stay away from metal when shooting angles in the field with a magnetic compass.

Last edited by S99VG; 04/28/16.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean the USMC made a mistake!?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad had a compass mounted in the stock of his Remington 760. The irony is that we hunted in a part of northeast Minnesota that had so much iron ore in the rock you couldn't trust a compass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
639 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,889 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.