-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
As a young man, I killed Rio Grand turkeys at will and considered myself a "good enough" turkey hunter.

Then I started hunting Easterns.

It took me ten years of hung up birds, dead silence and blown opportunities to get the first one. I've been successful the last three years and now I "get it".

I love turkey hunting.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Thank God!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a good listener.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my first eastern on saturday. I think I may have to go for the grand slam for turkeys, just because it will be a lot easier/cheaper than sheep!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd like to do the slam in one season.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got 3 registered at the NWTF--all I need is the Florida bird. I doubt I'll try for it because I can do 3 or 4 hunts for the cost of the Florida bird.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice gobbler. Maybe we can do a turkey hunt next year at Picky Pear, are you interested?

Last edited by colorado bob; 04/26/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ltppowell
As a young man, I killed Rio Grand turkeys at will and considered myself a "good enough" turkey hunter.

It took me ten years of hung up birds, dead silence and blown opportunities to get the first one. I've been successful the last three years and now I "get it".

I love turkey hunting.

[Linked Image]

I've hunted easterns all my life. Finally figured it out in the mid 90s and killed a pile of them for about 10 years. Then got busy with life and work and couldn't hunt as much as I'd like for a few years. Getting my mojo back the last 3-4 years has been a real challenge. I'm making progress but not where I want to be yet. It can be a humbling sport but I love it

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I was 27 before I ever turkey hunted, killed on on the first day of my first season. It was down hill for 2 years after that.

I wish I got into it earlier, but I'd always 'read/heard' how smart they are and how tough they are to hunt. Once I got into it I figured out that the only outsmarting being done is when you try to outsmart yourself.

The only thing turkey's are is wild, there ain't no smarts to them. As with most critters, fish and furry, being where they want to be is 90% of it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

I love turkey hunting.

[Linked Image]

Good going Lt.

Well, lay some a dat knowledge on the masses.

Always willing to learn knew tricks. Last one, I had to literally march into his "living room" to kill him after 3 years of chasing him, and called every flunky and minion of his down before I flamed him.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have learned that every day is different, every bird is different and they are too stupid to outsmart. That pretty much sums it up.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Exactly the point. How do you 'outsmart' something that doesn't know WTF it's doing in the next 10 seconds.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have learned that every day is different, every bird is different and they are too stupid to outsmart. That pretty much sums it up.

Sums it up nicely. My experience as well.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Where I hunt easterns in western Iowa which is a bit woolly with deep ravines, coyotes, bobcats, and reputedly lions they are beyond nervous. Interestingly enough I don't think they get pushed by the two-legged kind there much but in my experience they are Olympic class paranoids besides their inherent dose of skittishness.

I still get blanked some years depending on how many times I get out, the weather, the vagaries of the seasons and where the hens are in their breeding cycle as so go the toms.

But as it looks like I can quit working on the Ark for day I plan on going out tomorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My friend refers to a fish's brain as an "off-on" switch. Turkey's probably aren't that much more complex and all the difficulty in getting them is that easterns just have the "beyond paranoia gene."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.