Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C_ROY Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who has used these or worked up loads with the E-Tips? Nosler manual says to begin with starting load. Curious if you can get the velocity with an E-Tip you can with a Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX? Also curious how the E-Tip on game performance is vs. the TTSX or GMX.

PASS IT ON!
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have an apples to apples comparison with Barnes, but with 338 200 E-Tips I have not got quite the same velocity as with other 200s.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I would heed the Nosler recommendations. I've used the 30. cal. 150 TSX and TTSX and the 150 E-Tip. Same powder charges give about the same velocities for all the bullets. I use mostly H4895 in the .308, and occasionally Varget. As for the 150 GMX, I got about 50 fps more velocity with the same powder charges used for the E-Tip and the Barnes.

Seems I've also used the 165s in all persuasions, but my notes don't show anything on the 165 E-Tip. Barnes and GMX, however, show about the same velocities with the same powder charges.

In the .308, I've used only the Barnes 168 TSX BT on game; several bull elk and the bullets worked fine.

I've found all the bullets you mentioned to be reasonably accurate in .30 cal. However, for what it's worth and based solely on my limited experience, a good load usually comes sooner with a Barnes TSX BT (not the tipped bullet) than with the others.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
My wife and I have used various E-Tips from 90-grain 6mm's to 180-grain .30's on a bunch of game from pronghorn and springbok to zebra, blue wildebeest and elk. Usually they shoot very well, but while velocities have been similar to TSX's and GMX's, the powder charge may have to be reduced a little, no doubt due to the ungrooved shank.

Most of the time I've found E-Tips pretty easy to get to shoot well, but if they don't, seating them deeper often helps, just as it can with TSX's.

On-game performance has always been very similar to the Tipped TSX and GMX, in both penetration and expansion. If my memory is correct, we have recovered three E-Tips out of maybe 30 shot into game. One was a 150-grain .30 Eileen used on a really nice bushbuck in South Africa. Bushbuck are only about the size of most southern whitetail bucks, but the bushbuck was facing her--and the bullet went through a big Spanish prickly pear before entering the chest, and was already expanded when it hit the bushbuck. The bullet was found in the abdominal cavity. The range was about 150 yards.

The other two were 180-grain .30's, one from a .300 WSM and one from a .300 Winchester. The bullet from the .300 WSM bullet broke the big shoulder joint of a quartering-on 6x7 bull elk, and was found under the hide at the rear of the ribcage on the opposite side. The bullet from the .300 Winchester performed exactly the same way, after the same hit, on an elk-sized blue wildebeest. The ranges were both around 100 yards.

All three bullets retained all their weight, minus the plastic tip.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Plastic tip musta melted in flight......

Glad you chimed in because I don't know of anyone with more experience with E-tips...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Well said, Poobs.

Just looking at the Etip, it puts me in mind of a Barnes X bullet, prior to the TSX treatment, but with the "T"Tsx treatment.

Admittedly, I have limited experience with the Barnes bullets, but IIRC, they cut the rings on the TSX to drop pressure.

Regardless, I am a fan of the barnes bullet, as long as the cartridge/rifle I am shooting it out of, can make it fly at 3000 fps or more.

The 270 WSM and 6mm Remington living here are a couple of examples of cartridges that work well with the solid copper bullets.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The advantage of the grooves on the Tipped TSX is lower pressure. The disadvantage of the grooves on the Tipped TSX is lower ballistic coefficient. So it depends on what you want. Right now I'm loading both in various rifles, depending.

My NULA .257 Weatherby shoots 100-grain E-Tips into little groups at 3550 fps I was amazed at how flat the .257 Wby. shot with 100-grain TSX's when I first started using the cartridge, before there were TTSX's, but it shoots noticeably flatter with the E-Tip than either of the Barnes bullets. I can basically aim right in the middle of the chest on pronghorns out to 400 yards with E-Tips, which can come in handy on the very hard-hunted (and checkerboarded) public land around here, because shots often have to be QUICK. Basically, E-Tips are Ballistic Tips without lead--which is how Nosler came up with the idea, and found they worked. BC's are similar to Ballistic Tips of the same weight, and at that velocity wind drift is also minimal, and from my testing I'd have to say at that velocity the BC is a little higher than Nosler lists.

But have been loading 100 TTSX's in Eileen's NULA .257 Roberts ever since they came out, because she basically doesn't shoot any farther than 300 yards, and they've worked fine on everything from antelope to elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of the images on Nosler's website look like they have a single groove in them. I've not bought any in a while so can't verify. Do they have a groove now?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Well said, Poobs.

Just looking at the Etip, it puts me in mind of a Barnes X bullet, prior to the TSX treatment, but with the "T"Tsx treatment.

Admittedly, I have limited experience with the Barnes bullets, but IIRC, they cut the rings on the TSX to drop pressure.

Regardless, I am a fan of the barnes bullet, as long as the cartridge/rifle I am shooting it out of, can make it fly at 3000 fps or more.

The 270 WSM and 6mm Remington living here are a couple of examples of cartridges that work well with the solid copper bullets.

As you know Im a big Barnes fan too. All your statements are spot on.....I had to go up in weight in one cartridge because pressure dropped so low it adversely affected velocity. The heavier ones shot noticeably faster....not always or even usually the case.
Don't think the same thing would happen with Etips.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One difference between E-Tips and the origional Barnes X's (aside from the plastic tip, of course) if the E-Tips are made of gilding metal rather than copper. Gilding metal is a soft brass, most commonly 90% copper and 10% zinc, so it harder and less "grabbier" than copper. It's the same stuff the Ballistic Tip/Partition jackets are made of, along with most other lead-core bullet jackets. Consequently the E-Tips don't create as much pressure as the pre-TSX Barnes bullets, and in my experience the bore-fouling problem of the old X's just isn't there.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I use them on deer. Not as broadly across the board as my use of the Barnes, but enough to say I can't see a difference in the wound channels. I do find them a little touchier to find seating depth for best accuracy than Barnes, but that might be that I have loaded enough Barnes for enough years that I am getting pretty efficient at sorting than problem out.

Once I have an accurate load with them or the GMXs as far as I am concerned they are all interchangeable. The loads work up to be so close that the difference is non-existent.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't compare velocities, but I've shot two cow elk with them 180gr out of a 300winmag. Broadside shots one at 300yds the other at 100yds. I spined the elk at 300yds and then finished her with a chest shot from the same 300. She died quick after the chest shot. The cow at 100 ran about 15 FEET and piled up stone cold dead. I hope that was of value to you.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
the E-Tips are made of gilding metal rather than copper. Gilding metal is a soft brass, most commonly 90% copper and 10% zinc, so it harder and less "grabbier" than copper. It's the same stuff the Ballistic Tip/Partition jackets are made of, along with most other lead-core bullet jackets. Consequently the E-Tips don't create as much pressure as the pre-TSX Barnes bullets, and in my experience the bore-fouling problem of the old X's just isn't there.

This would be the important part. Once again I have learned from you and glad you chimed in.

How about the Hornady Monometals?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They're gilding metal too, with two grooves around the shank. Hornady says they're designed to produce the same amount of pressure as the other Hornady bullets of the same caliber and weight. I haven't handloaded them extensively, in fact have used them far more in factory loads, but in my limited experience the pressures (and velocities) so seem very similar to other Hornadys.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was blessed with a batch of 180 gr E Tips from a old friend of Shrapnel's. Tried getting them to shoot from my old Remington and had fits, just terrible. Then sometime this past winter read where shooters were seating their VLD's deeper and getting good accuracy . Just a few weeks back I got out the E Tips and got to loading again. Bottom line was, in my rifle, bullets touch lands at OAL of 3.392, accuracy became quite good when seated down to 3.310. 7/8" out of my over fifty year old 725 is about as good as I get. In this shooting of around 90 rounds I did notice that I found 8 or 9 "bananas" in the dirt backstop. All other bullets recovered were perfect little mushrooms. Add me to the seat em deep crowd for these bullets. Load is 53 grains of 4350. Hope to test these on bear next week.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ok Mr mule deer , If you were put on the spot and had to recommend either TTSX, E-tip or GMX which would it be ?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Whichever I could buy for the lowest price.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 04/28/16.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
John,
With regard to expanded frontal area, what is the order? To me it looks like E-Tip, TTSX, then GMX, larger to smaller.
I had a number of TSX Bullets bend/rivet at the nose and fail to expand. Have the synthetic tips eliminated this? There was a mention of this happening with E-Tips.
Thanks

Last edited by RinB; 04/29/16.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Can you shoot grooved and ungrooved E tips with same load?

I have loads worked up with the ungrooved E tips and now have the new style with grooves.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

I can't really tell any difference in frontal area. It would no doubt differ due to the particular bullet (not just the brand but weight/caliber), impact velocity, and what it hit. But I haven't seen any difference in terminal performance on game between the three.

Haven't seen any E-Tips GMX's fail to expand, but then haven't seen nearly as many used on animals as TSX's. However, I've never seen a TTSX's fail to expand. Do know a couple people who have, but apparently it's much rarer than with TSX's.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 10 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.