-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've been kicking the idea around some. The problem is finding decent info online about Primaloft. I can find weight (3 or 6oz), thickness (.6 or 1.1") but nothing relating weight to thickness. How thick is 3 oz or 6 oz? How about temp ratings? I can't find any info on how thick I'd need it for mid 20's. Is 2" enough or should I figure on 3x that?

Any help please?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ripstop By The Roll sells both Climashield and Primaloft. The link should take you to their FAQ where they discuss weight necessary for various temps for Climashield comforters. I doubt there is a huge difference between the two insulations, but you might ask them; they undoubtedly know more than I on the subject. http://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/faq

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here is a great link.

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_quilt.php

Here are some kits if you havn't found anything yet.

http://thru-hiker.com/kits/apex_quilt_kit.php

I did the 2.5 apex quilt and like a retard took it into the bob marshal in July last year without testing it at home. I have never been so cold in my life sleeping. It got down to 36 degs in the area i was camping and i was in all my layers, puffy jacket, and even took my rain jacket and tied the sleeves together and used it as a sleeping bag for my legs.

That was a rough 5 day hike. I learned a good lesson there. My thinking was that it would stay warm and i could save some wieght over my 0deg quilt. Granted i am a cold sleeper, i still wasn't comfortable.

I think im goign to give it another try this year. Were doing a 40 mile float in the bob this year. But you can bet i will be bringing some puffy pants to sleep in......

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/ is slightly cheaper for Primaloft. The problem is finding out what thickness to use. BTW, Primaloft 1 is now called Primaloft Gold. I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff with a new name.

From what I've seen, a lot of the synthetic quilts just use 1 layer of insulation quilted to the fabric. I would use 2 layers and quilt one to the outside and one to the inside with the seams offsetting. That takes care of the cold spots. 2 layers of 3 oz makes a total of 6 oz but I can't find anything that tells me how warm that is.

― George Orwell

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Speedgoat3006
Ripstop By The Roll sells both Climashield and Primaloft. The link should take you to their FAQ where they discuss weight necessary for various temps for Climashield comforters. I doubt there is a huge difference between the two insulations, but you might ask them; they undoubtedly know more than I on the subject. http://ripstopbytheroll.com/pages/faq

This. RBTR is the place.

RLTW
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I don't know if this will help or not, but I will be ordering one and make it myself.
see this link http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Quilt-Kit/index.htm

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've looked at the RayWay kits. They look pretty good.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had emailed RSBTR and asked about Primaloft insulation thickness. They said 3 oz is good to 50F and 6 oz for 35. For 20F to use 2 layers, 1 3oz and 1 6oz.

DIY would take some engineering. If you look at the RayWay kits, the tops aren't cut square. They're shaped to nestle around the head better. The problem with their kits is temp rating. Their best 2 layer is only good to 30. Adding a 3d layer is good to 10 but it's too bulky to carry. Their insulation isn't thick enough to get a 2 layer for 20F.

― George Orwell

N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I made two synthetic and one down quilt with material from The first synthetic quilt is one layer of the thinner climashield. I use it for summer stuff. Its also sized fairly small.

The second quilt has one layer of the thicker climashield and I use it for march-april and sept-Nov in the adirondacks. I sized this one both wider and longer. The width helps with drafts and the length is enough to go around my head.

I have used it down below freezing, probably mid 20's, but on the coldest nights I wear 100 wt fleece and a synthetic Patagonia primaloft pullover and thick socks as well as a fleece hat. I was pretty comfortable.

My suggestion is to make your best guess and make one, don't over think it. All in all they aren't that very expensive and you can knock one out in an hour or two. After you use it for a while you will have a better idea what you really want in a quilt.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Enlighten Equipment quilts are pretty cheap in the synthetics. I love DIY but no reason to reinvent the wheel. If nothing else their temp ratings have been spot on for me, and would be a good place to start.

IC B3

B
B
My Climashield Apex 5.0 MYOG quilt will take me comfortably down to 50 F or a bit below. Apex 5.0 is 5 Oz./Sq. Yd. With a Costco Double Black Diamond Packable Down throw as a liner, I can get to freezing. The lowest temperature depends on whether I am in a tent or under a tarp. The tent adds a surprising amount of warmth. I use an aluminized foam pad under my self inflating pad for warmth under my quilt.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10ring1, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,462 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.