Print Thread
Hop To
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
New to turkey hunting. Have shot quite a few when deer and hog hunting but never gone out strictly for turkey.

I'll be using a Weatherby SA-459 Turkey - cuzz I won it. I will be mounting an optic and can't decide between two. I can get either one free with points I've earned at work.

Meopta MeoSight III
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/us/meosight-iii/meosight3/ctgRus.html?interestTopic=2

or

Leupold VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader 1-4x20mm with either Heavy Duplex or Turkey Plex reticle.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...copes/vx-1-shotgunmuzzleloader-1-4x20mm/

Which optic would you choose?

I MIGHT also use it as a HD shotgun since the barrel is quite a bit shorter than on my other shotguns but turkey is the main purpose. I have handguns and a couple of AR's for HD too.

Last edited by cdb; 04/28/16.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I really like the turkey plex reticle. You could mount the scope in QD rings for HD.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, either will work fine. My preference would be for the "red dot" due to size, weight, and profile difference. With a 3 MOA dot at forty yards it will give you just a "pin point" of light but that's ok for turkeys and will give you added versatility should you use it on longer range targets also at some time.

Just my opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use the Burris fast fire 3 with the 3 dot. Does good for me.

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I was leaning towards the red dot at first but then started thinking about a scope too. I already have some Warne QD's that will work with the scope as Dave mentioned.

It makes me so mad at myself that I fret over something as inconsequential as this.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Tru glo gobble stopper on my 835 and it's performed very well. It's held its zero through close to a hundred 3.5 inch magnum turkey loads, has excellent battery life, and is easy on the budget

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
First year I've used an optic on one of my turkey guns. I had a local guy drill and tap a 20 gauge 870 youth for a Remington 700 front base, then mounted a Burris Fast Fire II. I did the same for my son. I really like a dot for guns with tighter patterns.

Given your choices, I'd go with the Meopta. I really don't need magnification for a turkey gun, especially if I'm going to use it for home defense situations.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Another reflex vote. Really light and unmatched speed. I'm running 4 FFs on turkey rigs including the SA459 you speak of.

Not a big fan of the taller mounts unless speaking AR. Is the riser removable on the Meopta?

I prefer 336 mounts, but the 459 has a round receiver. A pic mount works well with the included base. I actually like the base on the 2016 459 as it has a deep channel designed to be used as open sights with the bead if the optic were to fail in the field.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here's my 459:
[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used scopes on my Turkey guns for years. The reason I switched to the Burris is I lost the vision in my right eye and it makes it easier for me to get on one especially if its coming in from my blind side. You don't have to center the dot to get a hit. Love it.

IC B3

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
The Meopta is not on a riser.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cdb
Leupold VX-1 Shotgun/Muzzleloader 1-4x20mm with either Heavy Duplex or Turkey Plex reticle.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...copes/vx-1-shotgunmuzzleloader-1-4x20mm/

This is what I have and I'm very happy with it. Except that mine is the NWTF version in a color called "Earth."

Steve.
Maker of the Northern Scratchbox Turkey Call

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You could put a ghost ring rear sight and a front sight with a tritium dot and do everything with it.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
You could put a ghost ring rear sight and a front sight with a tritium dot and do everything with it.

I will go with one of the options I asked about.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Meopta would get my vote. I have been running a gobble stopper on my 870 this year and really like it. I think you would be a lot quicker on target with it for turkey or home defense.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Meopta is backordered indefinitely through our dealer program and so are the Vortex Razor and Venom. So I ordered a Burris FastFire III with the AR mount.

Thank you for all of the replies.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.