Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My huntng partner had a fellow out to look over his trees and advise him on dealing with Emerald Ash Borers (too expense to do anything about). The fellow said that he had a trail cam overlooking a coyote den. The parents had brought 40 fawns to the den.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If they knew about it, they were complicit in that.

Afraid I don't have patience for coyote huggers.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Around here there are not enough of them to affect the mortality rate of fawns. We have a LOT more killed by vehicles than coyotes.

I'm not a hugger, but they simply don't do much damage here so I give them pass at times. Around the house no, and if the numbers get up no.

Love to watch them hunt though if I'm not needing to kill em.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
They take much more game than you think - rabbits. quail, and many other ground - nesters. Deer, elk, and domestic pets. Calves, sheep goats, and other livestock.
Coyotes are a scourge that will never be eliminated, but need to be kept in check.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
40!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A friend here in Mississippi did the same last year, set a trail cam up over a coyote den & recorded 23 dead fawns being brought to the den.

They're hell on fawns, there's no doubt about that. Any coyote I see is dead if I can manage it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Here on our ranch in south Texas, we know coyotes kill about 40% of our fawn crop every year and coyotes also get about 30% of our quail nests and chicks, they also get a lot of turkey nests and chicks. coyotes do a lot of damage to our wild life. we trap and shoot over 300 coyotes a year. RIO7

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live in the NC mountains, way way back in the woods. Coyotes are not indigenous to this area.
I have learned, from this site, and others, that coyotes are bad news.
Not only for fawns, I have pet cats and dogs and I have learned that coyotes love to eat family pets.
So I have "Shoot on sight" orders on coyotes.

Rarely if ever see one. I have heard on a half-dozen nights, coyotes howling late at night. It is an eerie, and beautiful sound of the wild, the high pitched howling.

I have seen only one coyote up here in 20 years. I was taking my dogs for a walk on my own driveway, my mutt Sparky was about 200 feet out in front. Went out of sight around a curve in the road.
Suddenly, back here came Sparky at full speed. Ten feet behind him was a coyote.
When the coyote saw me, I was about 50 feet away. That coyote turned around so fast, it was like a magician's trick. He did a 180 and was gone!

I didn't have a gun with me, but to have killed that coyote I would have needed a semi auto 12 gauge locked and loaded and ready to go, could have gotten a couple of shots off and probably would have killed him
They are wily bastards! The woods are very thick up here and a 70 yard shot on my property is a really long shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
My huntng partner had a fellow out to look over his trees and advise him on dealing with Emerald Ash Borers (too expense to do anything about). The fellow said that he had a trail cam overlooking a coyote den. The parents had brought 40 fawns to the den.

Fawns are on the ground already? Here in Missouri they typically aren't born until mid-May through June. Coyote pups are just now being born here. Your friend must be further south of my Ozark's. At any rate, no doubt coyotes are fawn killers.

Last edited by MOGC; 04/28/16.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A couple winters ago we had a lot of coyotes around here. Saw very few fawns in the summer. Even had them killing and eating fawns near the house. We would look in the pasture and see a red smear. Sure enough a dead fawn.

Then a government trapper moved hear. Last winter between Jan and May he killed over 500 coyotes. Now we see fawns or yearlings rather. Coyotes don't wake us up anymore. Yeah, they can do a lot of damage.

IC B3

5sdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Fawns are on the ground already? Here in Missouri they typically aren't born until mid-May through June. Coyote pups are just now being born here. Your friend must be further south of my Ozark's. At any rate, no doubt coyotes are fawn killers.

I believe that this dealt with footage from a year ago.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,035
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.