Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Where I see problems are with parents that are not consistent with their spankings. They will let a kid get by with something several times before spanking. We got one warning and that was it. We knew to listen when it happened if we wanted to avoid pain. I hear parents say over and over, "if you don't quit that, I am going to whip you." Sometimes they do and most times they don't. This creates a problem. miles

Yes, Miles, this is a big factor. When my three siblings and I were kids, we knew what behaviors would get us a spanking and knew it was coming well before it happened. My last butt stinging was when I was about 8 or 9 YOA, and it was memorable. All four of us grew up to be normal (well, except for me) folks who led productive lives and never got into a lick of trouble.

Time and time again, these "research studies" by impractical psychologists and sociologists yield false and useless outcomes because the automatons base their efforts on the designs and attitudes of those before them - their own professors - and not on realities and practicalities. Too often they are seeding the study with gross data not refined according to some important situational and applicable factors, so their "results" are gross - and also easily manipulated to fit their agenda when that aspect is at play,

Academe at work.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My kids, nieces, and nephews - and now a new generation - know where "the line" is, around here. They also know discipline flows freely. We don't beat, but a firmly applied attention getter is occasionally applied.
I've said for years that if you don't have a child's attention and respect, by the age of about 12, you're going to have problems for a long time (at least until the young person realizes they need to change, and some never do).

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well some people spend a lot of money to be spanked! More nonsense from know it alls!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
interesting read....

I can say I've never spanked my kids and there weren't any real discipline problems... with two marriages, I've really been a parent twice...

it always bothered me to watch parents beat their kids, as I have seen too many really wail on them...and yelling ridiculously at them....

my first wife was a screamer at the kids, constantly....

what bugged her so much is that I could get them to do something without all the drama....

she'd throw the oldest two in bed when she got tired of dealing with them at the end of the day.. throw them in bed a 100 times and they came out of it 101 and kept wanting a drink of water or something else...

when I was at home, If they were a problem when the wife ran them off to bed, I'd go in and ask them would they like to stay up with daddy and watch TV... they always answered yes of course... I'd let them come into the TV room with me and each one would sit on either side of me and leaning against me... I'd just twirl their hair and they'd both fall asleep in 2 to 3 minutes.. I'd take them back and put them in bed, and never heard a peep out of them....

or the other thing I'd do with the girls, is they knew 8 o'clock was their bed time... if they were wound up, where the wife would start yelling at them to go to bed... I'd just go in and put the microwave on 8 minutes, but never hit start... then I'd tell one to go see what time it was...

you'd hear them yelling "NO!!!" in the kitchen... I'd go back in the kitchen with them and ask them what time it was... and they respond "I don't wanna go to bed"... so I'd tell them that they had been good today, so I'll let you stay up until 8:30 them... they would be thrilled.. but at 8:30 I'd have them check the clock on the microwave again.. but that time, they'd go to bed with no arguments....

When they were real little they'd get a story every night by daddy... but instead of reading them a book, we'd act out the story with their stuffed animals, like they were puppets...I'd make up songs to sing as part of the story, they loved it... when done, they'd go to bed...

I always showed my girls love and respect, and never had the issues that my ex wife had with them.. her always yelling and swatting them or slapping them...they'd defy her...

when they'd defy me when I told them to do something I applied something I saw a friend of mine's dad do to him when I was in high school.. he never hit his son, he'd just quietly and verbally tell him he was disappointed in him... it devastated him.. he'd cry right in front of us, telling us he wished his dad would hit him or something.. but the low tone voice and simple words devastated him....

The girls knew when I lowered my voice I wasn't happy... it bothered them.. most dreaded drill sgt when I went thru basic, NEVER yelled at his people either... he'd come up and just talk lowly in their ear.... Trainee, get down.. just start pounding them out.. and keep pounding them out until I tell you to get up....

would have made me fear him but it did all of his guys for some reason.. it worked...

that is what I did to the girls..... or I'd do the counting, but I'd never do anything but call their name and start counting silently with my fingers... one two three four... and somewhere between four and the fifth finger.. they'd take off and do what they were suppose to do like a bolt of lightning...

guess I either learned to outsmart them, or just learned to think like a kid did.. or I was in charge but never grew up.. who knows, but it works.. my daughter do the same to their kids these days... from what little I hear from their mother...

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BRISTECD
It is far easier for them to be disciplined when they are kids, than after they become adults and the police and courts have to do it.

I know a group that figure that out the hard way. As a kid growing up the boy was allowed to do whatever he wanted and there were no consequences for words or actions. When he was 19 or so he got drunk and got rough with his mom and his dad decided that he was just going to show him how it was. The dad took a trip through the front door, screen door, off the porch and the ass whopping that followed got dad a reconstructed shoulder and the boy was none the worse for wear.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,870
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.