Hop To
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I recently won a rifle raffle.

The prize?

A Ruger American. Standard Model, in .223

OK, I've see a few post's on these rifles in the past. A few have posted about locking bolt issues. While other's say that it is not very accurate, yet others sing praise's that it's a sub MOA out of the box, and have never had a single issue.

What are your personal experiences? Trigger opinions? Stock replacement?

Any favorite loads?

Anything to watch for regarding function or quality ?

I'm off to pick it up today. Let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You got it, shoot the SOB and decide for yourself. I know, weird idea.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yep, kind of a weird idea. Who would have thunk it?

Just got back from the dealer with it. It's the "compact" model with an 18" bbl. 1:8 twist.

Might be a handy little thing with the short bbl.

Think I need to decide on a scope. Maybe a Nikon P-223 BDC 4x12 ? Or maybe a Bushnell AR 4.5x18 223 BDC ? or maybe a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 ? I like the thought of the Vortex with Zero re-set turrets.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead

^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^

Mine, standard model shoots well.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Owl
Yep, kind of a weird idea. Who would have thunk it?

Just got back from the dealer with it. It's the "compact" model with an 18" bbl. 1:8 twist.

Might be a handy little thing with the short bbl.

Think I need to decide on a scope. Maybe a Nikon P-223 BDC 4x12 ? Or maybe a Bushnell AR 4.5x18 223 BDC ? or maybe a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 ? I like the thought of the Vortex with Zero re-set turrets.

Unless you're going to be spinning dial (and if you do a Pro Staff scope is not one to do it with) I'd recommend getting the ProStaff over the "P" series since the "tactical" dials have a tendency to move when they're put in and out of a soft case.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead

He prolly wants some credible opinions and if they're generally negatory he would sell the rifle NIB. On the other hand, yours is as credible opinion as any.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Steelhead said it first...shoot the SOB.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Get a fixed 6x Leupold, shoot 55 gr BT's as fast as it will go, sight it in +2" at 100 yds and keep it always in the pickup.-Muddy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Owl,

It won't shoot worth a hoot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Owl,

It won't shoot worth a hoot.

Zing! LMAO...

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Owl
...It's the "compact" model with an 18" bbl. 1:8 twist.

Mine is the "Ranch Rifle" with the 16.5" barrel.

Accurate enough to whack prairie dogs out to 300 yards with 50, 55, and 64/65gr factory ammo.

I put a 4x12 Leupold on mine and have been very, very happy.

If I were to do it all over again I would probably put a SS fixed 10x with a MQ reticle on it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Most have very acceptable, almost surprising, accuracy. I have never experienced bolt lock up you mentioned. Superb beater truck rifle.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey, that gun probably aint no good. Seeing as how you are a friend, I'll do the friendly thing and take it off you hands, for what you have in it! grin

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Hey, that gun probably aint no good. Seeing as how you are a friend, I'll do the friendly thing and take it off you hands, for what you have in it! grin

I live closer to Owl than you do. Sending it to me would save on shipping... whistle

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by muddy22
Get a fixed 6x Leupold, shoot 55 gr BT's as fast as it will go, sight it in +2" at 100 yds and keep it always in the pickup.-Muddy

Perfectly good waste of an 8 twist to shoot little bitty low bc bullets...

But then most don't push the 223 all that far either...

8 twist would get 75 something in my books or 69 at a bare minimum.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or 62-grain TTSX's, depending on what you use it for.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only thing I don't like about mine is the trigger. It's terrible. It has a lot of rough travel. Still, it shoots as well as my Stag Arms and shoots 62gr ammo as well as it does the 55gr stuff, which is about 1.5" at 100.

Congratulations on your prize! laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Other than a problem with mine going off when I pull the trigger (intermittent light strikes) mine does well in the accuracy dept.

Owl Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Oldman03

I live closer to Owl than you do. Sending it to me would save on shipping... whistle

Ed

Humm... Maybe you two need to carpool to Paul's place this summer.

We can hold an auction :-) I'll hold the reserve down to a respectable figure

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6x Leupold

Shoot it like you stole it with variety of bullets.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 61 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.