-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So do all of the "Spider Web" (HS Precision, etc) style stock finishes feel like a scrub pad. I am getting ready to buy a stock and was wondering if you can find one without that scrub pad feel.

Bell and Carlson ???

Laminated weighs to much and wood will work but..........

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not all are rough.

And McMillan for the win.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Laminated weighs to much and wood will work but

A synthetic stock with a metal insert molded in for strength isn't going to be significantly lighter than laminated wood. In some cases heavier. The need for the metal block inside also makes for a thick bulky feeling stock. Most of the factory synthetics are lighter and tougher than the B&C or HS-Precision stocks.

The stocks that use laminated layers of either fiberglass or kevlar fabric inside for strength are much tougher as well as much lighter. Especially those made with Kevlar.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have two HS Precision stocks. Identical other than color and one is a couple years older. The older one is smooth, the newer one is like your describing. They both have a full length bedding block and are no lighter then laminated wood. I do really like the HS Precision though. I prefer the grip angle over a Bell and Carlson (slight difference).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Clearcoat with smooth'em out...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would get a high tech specialties / bansner / legendary arms works stock fit it all and paint it how you like it. They are tough, light, and not hard to finish. I am slowly replacing my bell and Carlson and hs precisions stocks with them.

Just a thought.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I tried a Bell & Carlson Varmint style stock with the aluminum chassis for a Short Remington 700 Action. While it's heavier than the sporter stock,

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/bell-carlson/sporter-hunting-stocks.html

all my rifles are heavy varmint type, where weight is no problem, accuracy is more important. That spiderweb finish has just enough grab to be nonslip, especially when shooting sage rats in passing sleet, rain and whatever. They have the advantage of being solid, not like the Tupperware stuff slapped on production rifles, rigid and easily skim bedded for maximum accuracy, although they shoot well as is. For the cost, these are about the best going.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...short-action-1001-long-action-stock.html

They also offer a package that includes a Wyatt Outdoor Detachable Magazine and bottom metal. I bought the DBM stuff separately, before the package was offered. The .308 Winchester magazine also works with just about any cartridge based on the .308 case. I find it works with the .22-250 Remington, and the .22-250 Ackley Improved, doubtless it will work with others. The OEM Remington internal magazine also works with these cartridges just as it comes.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stock...d-carlson-stock-with-wyatt-s-m4-dbm.html

I built my rifle on a new bare Remington 700 action, with a Pac-Nor 1:10" twist polygonal rifled, 24" Sendaro contour barrel, and Vais muzzle brake. Warning: the drop-in barrel alone went about $700 with the Vais brake and Rem-Nut. It also can be swapped with a .22-250 Ackley Improved barrel.

[Linked Image]

Very stable and accurate, here's a ten shot group from the first load development batch:

[Linked Image]

Future plans include converting the action to a lightweight varmint rifle in .204 Ruger by swapping in a new bolt, and Pac-Nor 1:9" twist barrel. The stock will be swapped for one of the lightweight stocks above, using OEM magazine parts for the .223 Remington/.204 Ruger. That way I can match the configuration to whatever hunting I plan. Just a way to tinker and play with stuff.

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 04/28/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.