Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Working up some turkey vanes for my longbow arrows and have some wings from a buddy and some from my son's bird coming. If anyone is not using their turkey wing feathers, I'd pay for shipping to get them to me.

I've just started working with these and anxious to get enough to fletch up a dozen or so arrows. I'd take either right or left wing feathers and instead of plucking them, if it is easier they can just be trimmed along the base of the wing. Please shoot me a pm if you have some to spare. Thank you

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our season opens tomorrow. Saw six jakes with one 4-bearded longbeard this morning, plus heard one more at that location. Heard three at another location. Should get into some action in the first few days. I'll try to remember you're wanting some feathers.

When you say "trimmed along the base of the wing," do you mean like, cut them off close with scissors?

Steve.
Maker of the Northern Scratchbox Turkey Call

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you had posted this a month ago, I could have set you up with enough to fletch several dozen.

NRA Life Member
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Our season opens tomorrow. Saw six jakes with one 4-bearded longbeard this morning, plus heard one more at that location. Heard three at another location. Should get into some action in the first few days. I'll try to remember you're wanting some feathers.

When you say "trimmed along the base of the wing," do you mean like, cut them off close with scissors?

Steve.

Yes, I took some snips and went right down along the wing. Worked out really well. If you do get one, I can send you a UPS label to use for shipping. Just slap that on the box and drop in UPS to make it easy. Really appreciate it.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
If you had posted this a month ago, I could have set you up with enough to fletch several dozen.

Will try to remember to contact you earlier next year. I think these are going to work really well.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Steve.

Yes, I took some snips and went right down along the wing. Worked out really well. If you do get one, I can send you a UPS label to use for shipping. Just slap that on the box and drop in UPS to make it easy. Really appreciate it.

I'll see what I can do.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can also use goose feathers, they are a little louder in flight.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
seal billy, have you been splitting and grinding those down or do you strip them? I practiced on a couple and they seem to strip real nice so going to try that first. If they don't work well that way, will split and grind as necessary.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I may not shoot to good, but will look good trying:)

This is a pic of some stripped feathers. Need to trim them, chop them into shape, and get them glued on. They are beautiful looking. And the dogs have a new found interest in the reloading room lol.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have you found all your looking for?

IC B3

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wouldn't mind having a few more if possible. Trimming them off where they hit the tail seems to work well and probably beats plucking them. Will take both left and right wing feathers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30338------I killed a gobbler this weekend. I saved the wings for you. Send me a PM----I'm in Durango.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bob! PM sent.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you want the wing feathers from this guy?

[Linked Image]

He was free as a bird until 9:05 this morning.

Steve.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've got some wing feathers now if you want them. Killed one last Saturday. Good beard 3/4" spurs, 2 year old bird. Common as common gets but better than a jake.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seal_billy
I've got some wing feathers now if you want them. Killed one last Saturday. Good beard 3/4" spurs, 2 year old bird. Common as common gets but better than a jake.

I PM'ed him. He said he has enough now. Maybe next year.

Steve.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks all, really appreciate the help on my arrow fletching project for the longbow. Got a lot of feathers to get chopped and glued up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 12 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.