Print Thread
Hop To
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Gotta love'm...consolation for the gobblers that busted me earlier in the A.M.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a pretty good shortbeard. The coyotes don't mind killing jakes, so why should you? Congrats!

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Thank you...there is no easier turkey harvest than a jake that spots your decoys... crazy

Last edited by sse; 04/28/16.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by sse
Thank you...there is no easier turkey harvest than a jake that spots your decoys... crazy

Ha! I had 2 tags for the last week of the WI season and had 7 jakes come in. I shot one that was up one a log, the other 6 came to pick at him, so I shot another one, then they went after that one! When I got up none of the remaining 5 ran out of gun range!

Camp is where you make it.
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by sse

Ha! I had 2 tags for the last week of the WI season and had 7 jakes come in. I shot one that was up one a log, the other 6 came to pick at him, so I shot another one, then they went after that one! When I got up none of the remaining 5 ran out of gun range!

What I'm talkin about...!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If it weren't for a Jake I probably wouldn't even turkey hunt. My first turkey was a Jake after two years of going birdless. It gave me enuff confidence to keep on hunting them. It kept me from getting discouraged and throwing in the towel. I have killed severe long beards now but this year I have only got to hunt twice and I'm zero, if a Jake comes in I'm having turkey for supper.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by seal_billy
If it weren't for a Jake I probably wouldn't even turkey hunt. My first turkey was a Jake after two years of going birdless. It gave me enuff confidence to keep on hunting them. It kept me from getting discouraged and throwing in the towel. I have killed severe long beards now but this year I have only got to hunt twice and I'm zero, if a Jake comes in I'm having turkey for supper.

That's the spirit...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by seal_billy

That's the spirit...

Ditto what sse said.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
So, the back story...the gobblers busted me, even though I called them in and they took interest in my decoys. I didn't wait, and one or two of them may well have gotten in range, but I didn't have good cover and figured I'll get spotted/heard before they got close enough, as a result of trying to get the gun up. Took a blast at one of them and all four scattered, as they do.

I actually got lucky with the jake about noon. Had been calling with no response, and a half hour after the last set of yelps, I'm thinking time to wrap up for lunch, or even the entire day.

So, I'm busy stuffing gear into the backpack, thermos, calls, candy wrappers etc., and this jake and his pal rushed in silent, blocked from view the whole way (happened to me before). Arrived at the lane and I'm in full view of them less than 15 yards away, picked up the shotty. They were so entranced by the hen and jake decoys, paid me no attention for a good long time, while I waited for them to separate, so I don't get a two-fer...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My daughter is after her first starting next wednesday. We're not shy about shooting jakes. She just wants her pictures with one to show her friends. grin

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Saw six jakes with a 4-bearded adult gobbler this morning, and another gobbler was sounding off nearby. Season opens tomorrow.

Steve.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tzone
My daughter is after her first starting next wednesday. We're not shy about shooting jakes. She just wants her pictures with one to show her friends. grin

I hope she has a great time, to knock one down will be a big thrill.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Saw six jakes with a 4-bearded adult gobbler this morning, and another gobbler was sounding off nearby. Season opens tomorrow.

Steve.

Observing the birds all year round is a hoot, even more so this time of year.

S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Ya got the 'before'...here is the 'after'...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's the fillet of wild game there man

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
S
sse Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
That's the fillet of wild game there man

You're right about that...

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

That is 100% true. One this year is so dumb that he keeps coming back to the same spot.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jake eat better than Old Gobblers. Congratulations

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 13 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 680 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.