Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, after ten years of my '05 Yamaha 660 grizzly, I'm considering a new machine. I like the looks of the Kodiak 700.

It's almost the same as the new Grizzly 700, but slightly detuned and a few less goodies. At 52, my trail screaming days are done, I'll use mine for hauling hay to the livestock, some logging and getting to the high country to hunt on foot.
Looks like I can buy one in the mid 6000 range for a base model.

Anyone purchase one of these machines yet? Interested in comments and quality reviews...

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm looking for a new off-road rig to replace my Polaris 800 (although I'll probably go with a Razor or something similar) and thought that the Kodiak had a lot of nice features for the price. A buddy of mine bought a new Grizzly and raves about the power steering, among other things.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, the grizzly is a helluva bike. Spendy though, 2K more than the Kodiak and virtually the same ride. I'd like to slip in the door cheaper with the Kodiak.
I hear by simply shimming and installing the grizzly clutch weights, one can get the exact same performance. Although I'd likely be satisfied with the factory setup.

I don't need power steering. I use more tame tires, chain-up the fronts (rarely) in the deep snow. They offer it on the Kodiak for about a grand more.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My buddy is selling his Kodiak 700 for $6500. 15 hours on it and comes with dealer installed winch and plow.

I have a Kodiak 700 and its a great machine.

My last atv was a Brute Force 750. The Kawasaki was big and very fast, similar to the Grizzly. I like the size and the ride of the Kodiak as much as I did the 750.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any fuel injection problems with the big Kodiak, Rgramjet? I've been reading and it sounds like some are experiencing some really lean-running, warm machines.
Where is your bud located? I'm assuming across the country from me... smile

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I looked at the base model Kodiak and I was not impressed with what you get for the money. No doubt it's a hard working machine but I can't see spending 7 grand and not getting at least a fuel gauge or way to track mileage. The lack of a factory installed receiver hitch is also disappointing.

The power steering model comes with enough upgrades to easily justify the price increase IMO.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wowza...no fuel gauge? I'm with you...pretty spartan for the dough. I need a fuel gauge!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Broomd, my buddy is located in Silver Spring, MD.

Agreed about the fuel guage. I definitely wouldnt pay $7000 for an atv without a fuel guage. $6200 out the door changed things a little.

I dont take long trips, mainly plowing or trail rides less than 2 hours. Not a big deal to keep it topped off.

Ive crossed streams, Ive plowed 30" of snow. Ive ridden very rugged logging roads and i made it through a tire deep mud bog.

The bike gets warm but no warmer than my Brute Force. My guess is the folks talking about the heat arent used to a large water cooled atv.

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking forward to riding one when I get the chance.

Maybe after the tax man is satisfied, I'll bite...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by broomd
Yeah, the grizzly is a helluva bike. Spendy though, 2K more than the Kodiak and virtually the same ride. I'd like to slip in the door cheaper with the Kodiak.
I hear by simply shimming and installing the grizzly clutch weights, one can get the exact same performance. Although I'd likely be satisfied with the factory setup.

I don't need power steering. I use more tame tires, chain-up the fronts (rarely) in the deep snow. They offer it on the Kodiak for about a grand more.

I've been researching these since they came out and have narrowed it down to Grizzly or a Can-am.

This is true if you're looking for Grizzly performance. It sounds like he's not. The Kodiak is set up for work/towing/woods work. The clutch will give you a bit more bottom end and little less on the top. If you're working more than trail riding the Kodiak may be for you.

That said, if you get the basic Kodiak, you're getting VERY basic! There is no speedo, stiffer less comfortable seat, no diff loc, and the no push button 4wd. You're going to be flipping a cheap looking lever to get in 4x4 on the left side of the machine. And flipping it back off. The lever is cumbersome and really, it's pretty ugly. you also get the halogen lights, which are OK, but the new LED's REALLY light up the trail!

There is NO WAY in hell I'd get a new ATV without power steering. It's the best thing they've come up with since 4x4 as far as I'm concerned. You're selling yourself VERY short if you don't spend a few extra $$ and get the EPS.

The '16 Grizzly/Kodiak's aren't without issues on the new motor/Electrical either. Some are tough to start in cold weather. Temps of 20*F or colder. A few have been solved by using 0w30 YamaLube but some have issues with the compression releif not working or not being installed at all from Yamaha! The new 700 is actually a 708 and an all new motor. Not just a re-tuned 700 from the year prior.

The Grizzly has larger, better 26" tires. The Kodiak has 25" tires. not a big difference in traction, but there is in the way it handles.

If you get the Kodiak, and can afford a bump over the very basic model, I'd recommend the Kodiak SE. It's still quite a bit cheaper than the Girzzly and pretty comparable to the basic Grizzly, but with a few more features.

The Kodiak is also a bit closer to the ground than the Grizzly. in seat height and ground clearance. The Grizzly and Kodiak SE have a lot better brakes than the Kodiak as well. The Grizzly is also a bit wider ie, more stable than the Kodiak.

So yes, the Kodiak is less money but you really are getting a lot less for the lower dollar amount.

Last edited by tzone; 04/27/16.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I know 5-6 guys that have Grizzlies(mostly 700's) for moving cows(and doing other chit).

They are awesome, take all kinds of abuse and still work.

I'm not really an ATV guy but they rule.

(heated hand grips would be nice)

Last edited by SamOlson; 04/27/16.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hell sammo, you can get a heated seat on the new grizzly.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I dont get the heated seat concept. ATVs produce a good amount of heat. Ive pushed a lot of snow in 20 degree weather. Never once have I had a cold butt.

I found the Kodiak a lot less tippy feeling in turns and on hills than my BF750 and the grizzly i test drove.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I don't really think a guy needs it but it's pretty cool. If you like what that package has with it, it's on the wheeler.

Plow snow in -20* degree weather and get back to me on the heated seat though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seriously doubt that something like those old Heat-housers we used to hide behind on the farm tractors - (what's a cab?)- would be too much luxury at sub-zero temps when tensing every muscle is normally as good as it gets.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I know 5-6 guys that have Grizzlies(mostly 700's) for moving cows(and doing other chit).
They are awesome, take all kinds of abuse and still work.
I'm not really an ATV guy but they rule.
(heated hand grips would be nice)

Yep, I use mine for the same thing.

I'm going to pass on the 700 Kodiak...too spartan for the dough, and the upgraded models are just too spendy.

I gave $5200 for my grizzly 660 10 years ago (it was almost new) and that included a plow.
The machine still looks and runs great, I think the 700 Kodiak is a step backwards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, glad I passed on the bare-bones Kodiak...picked up a nice bike last night off of CL.

I'm a devoted Yamaha guy but this Arctic Cat 500 is super clean with only 230 miles. The gal was selling her deceased husband's machine and just wanted it out of her garage. For $2500 it was a no brainer. It was probably a $7000 machine if not more.
Bike has about every option A/C offered.

The thing is an absolute beast, it makes my 660 grizzly look small in comparison.
My petite wife will have to take the griz, and I'll take the cat.

Build quality looks excellent.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by broomd
Well, glad I passed on the bare-bones Kodiak...picked up a nice bike last night off of CL.

I'm a devoted Yamaha guy but this Arctic Cat 500 is super clean with only 230 miles. The gal was selling her deceased husband's machine and just wanted it out of her garage. For $2500 it was a no brainer. It was probably a $7000 machine if not more.
Bike has about every option A/C offered.

The thing is an absolute beast, it makes my 660 grizzly look small in comparison.
My petite wife will have to take the griz, and I'll take the cat.

Build quality looks excellent.

[Linked Image]

Man thats a SMOKIN Deal! Congrats on the new acquisition!

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I ride a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 manual shift, they are monsters. Mine has been an excellent bike and has tons of power.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks fellas. BC, did you buy new or opt for the manual tranny for a reason?
This newest machine is an automatic, but the 5 speeds can be a blast to ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 35 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.