Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jordan: Good thoughts and helpful explanation! I went hunting around for recovered bullets but could not find my stash real quick so am stuck with what's on the computer.

Anyway I have posted this before but here's a bullet that smashed up a lot of bone on a 9ft+ brown bear and came to rest against the off side hide. It was a royal train wreck. Maybe this illustrates your point. I can't see a Barnes that holds its frontal area being much different.

[Linked Image]

Edited to Add: In line with your analogy, I am thinking that bwinter's 25/06 hit to the shoulder with the 100 gr Barnes represented more of a small area "center punch" to the bone without enough frontal area to radiate damage outward? confused

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/28/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple days ago I went pig hunting. Shot one in the head so that doesn't count. I was planning to shot the other one in the head but it started turning away so I fired at the back edge of the rib cage. The Barnes LRX 6.5 127 grainer devastated the lungs and exited in the front part of the off shoulder. The entrance and exit holes in the skin were caliber size. The interesting information came immediately inside the skin on the entrance side. There was a hole at the back of the rib cage about 3" diameter. The exit shoulder looked undamaged except for the small hole in it. Not too far from the exit hole was one of the petals and near the entrance hole were two more petals.

The average muzzle velocity runs 3,315 feet per second. The pig was at most forty yards away. It dropped at the shot. After a couple seconds it got up and ran no more than four or five steps and went down for the count. A cleaver person can tell us the approximate impact velocity.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Jordan: Good thoughts and helpful explanation! I went hunting around for recovered bullets but could not find my stash real quick so am stuck with what's on the computer.

Anyway I have posted this before but here's a bullet that smashed up a lot of bone on a 9ft+ brown bear and came to rest against the off side hide. It was a royal train wreck. Maybe this illustrates your point. I can't see a Barnes that holds its frontal area being much different.

[Linked Image]

Edited to Add: In line with your analogy, I am thinking that bwinter's 25/06 hit to the shoulder with the 100 gr Barnes represented more of a small area "center punch" to the bone without enough frontal area to radiate damage outward? confused

Exactly. In bwinter's pic you can see the cracks in the bone radiating outward from the hole. The bone there is thin enough to be fairly flexible and soft, and behave somewhat like soft tissue. If the bullet had impacted thicker/heavier bone like the humerus, chances are the bone would have shattered, even given equal bullet performance.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My buddy shot a cow elk last year using 06 with 150 ttsx. No bullet recovered.
I have two Bulls with 180tsx out of 06 and no bullet recovered.
I went down to 168ttsx as these retain almost 100% of it weight.
I think 150 would have been fine and I wouldn't go more than that in 308.
Here is how I see it
308-150gr
30/06-168
300 win -180

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BWalker

I know one thing for for certain when using monos. They simply do not kill as fast as lead and copper slugs and by a wide margin.

HORSESHIT. The TTSX is arguably the bullet of choice on safaris nowadays. Safaris, you know where lost or wounded trophies can cost you a bundle. If you like cup and core bullets, that's great, only don't try to tell the rest of us, some with a bit of experience on nonsensical blanket statements like that.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've only shot 9 things with TTSXs, but every critter died within sight. I don't see how it's possible that copper and lead kill faster "by a wide margin." Internal damage with a fast moving mono is tremendous.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Horseshit, indeed!!!!

If more Internet hunters would actually go hunting for real game once in a while, they might actually be qualified to comment on such things as bullet performance. After shooting dozens of critters. And hitting them in vital spots. Over a lifetime of hunting.

Barnes TSX and TTSX are all I use anymore for hunting, precisely due to a lot of experience using them, on game from little Springbok to Water Buffalo, Sable, Wildebeest, Lion, and loads of NA game.

The list of bullets used looks like this:

.257 Roberts and .257 Weatherby: 100 gr. Barnes TTSX
.280 Rem and .280 RCBS Imp: 140 gr. Barnes TTSX
.30-06: 150 gr. and 165 gr. Barnes TSX
.300 Wby. Mag: 165 gr. Barnes TSX and TTSX
.375 Ruger: 250 gr. Barnes TTSX and 270 gr. TSX

All of these loads have been used very successfully on game by myself for years, and I guarantee I would not be using them if "they simply did not kill as fast as lead and copper slugs and by a wide margin".

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am working on some 168 Nosler ETip's for my 300 Wby. Speeds look good at around 3350. Never taken an animal with an ETip, so I figure it is time to try them out. If the accuracy is there, I think they will open, maintain the frontal area and penetrate well. I plan on shooting them out a few 100 yards this year just to see what they look like. Used a few other Barnes in the past and they have been pretty decent, mainly the TSX in the 300 Win and the 225 in the 35 Whelen. Both did pretty well, but I didn't like how they would break up on bone so easily. Just a nit pick, never lost an animal with one.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Its not a hangover. I HAVE seen it with my own eyes and I am not basing this on one or two kills.

Like you, I'm not basing my judgment of the TTSX (and no longer available MRX) on "one or two kills". My group has been using the MRX and TTSX since they became available and as yet have as many or more straight-down DRTs than not and no animal has run more than a few steps.

This cow from 2010 probably had the longest run post-encounter with an MRX or TTSX. In this case it was a 180g MRX. She made it about 10 steps and that is probably generous. The cow was right at 400 yards and the exit is the dark red spot right behind the front leg .
[Linked Image]

Here are some pictures of the 4x4 mulie buck I took the same year, also with a 180g MRX. Neither the entrance nor the exit holes in the hide were very large. but the insides were a mess. Steps taken: 0.

Exit side first:
[Linked Image]

Entrance side with approximately a quarter-sized entrance hole:
[Linked Image]

Exit side again showing much larger exit through flesh than hide:
[Linked Image]

The other two mulies I've taken with MRX/TTSX also went straight down as have, I think, every antelope my group has taken with them.

While the numbers of animals we've taken with MRX/TTSX aren't huge, we've found them to be very effective with 100% positive experiences. More importantly they haven't disappointed on the first shot as some other bullets have done (a bad omen statistically). Exit wounds may not be as large as with cup-and-core bullets but they have more cutting edge length and internals have always been pretty well destroyed with massive internal bleeding.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bighorn,

Have shot more than "dozens of critters," and been standing beside other people when an nearly equal amount were killed, partly due to having participated in lots of cull hunts (often specifically for bullet testing) on four continents.

Among the other notes I've made on bullet performance on every big game animal I've killed or seen killed in 50 years, during the past 25 years (when those culls took place) I noted how far animals traveled before falling after double-lung hits.

TTSX's are great bullets, as are similar "petal-type" bullets, but animals of all sizes averaged traveling about 2-1/2 times as far when shot with them as animals lung-shot with what many call "target" bullets like Berger VLD's. In fact, petal-type bullets were indeed the slowest-killing of all bullets used. This doesn't mean animals always go a long ways, since often they drop right there, just that on average they go farther.

And if you want to see REAL internal destruction, use those lighter-constructed bullets. Everybody who thought their TSX's (or whatever other bullet) did massive internal damage has commented on the first animal they saw opened up after being shot with a VLD or MatchKing or Scenar. And the universal comment was something like "OMG."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mule Deer,

The most devastation I saw on any animal was with a .300 Win Mag. For some reason I don't remember I fired a Hornady target bullet at a deer. I think it was a 168 grainer, but don't remember. I do remember the velocity was 3,117 feet per second. I was shooting five days a weeks at a 100 yard target and guessed the range at about 40% farther than the 100 yard target.

What I most likely will remember the rest of my life is seeing a scapular about forty feet up in the air. The exit hole was 5" diameter with shiny bits of bullet no larger than a BB and some were smaller. I could see almost to the entrance hole. It dropped so fast I thought I missed when I saw two or three deer running away. I didn't realize what I saw in the air was the near side scapula until I saw the slice in the hide on its back.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bighorn,

Have shot more than "dozens of critters," and been standing beside other people when an nearly equal amount were killed, partly due to having participated in lots of cull hunts (often specifically for bullet testing) on four continents.

Among the other notes I've made on bullet performance on every big game animal I've killed or seen killed in 50 years, during the past 25 years (when those culls took place) I noted how far animals traveled before falling after double-lung hits.

TTSX's are great bullets, as are similar "petal-type" bullets, but animals of all sizes averaged traveling about 2-1/2 times as far when shot with them as animals lung-shot with what many call "target" bullets like Berger VLD's. In fact, petal-type bullets were indeed the slowest-killing of all bullets used. This doesn't mean animals always go a long ways, since often they drop right there, just that on average they go farther.

And if you want to see REAL internal destruction, use those lighter-constructed bullets. Everybody who though their TSX's (or whatever other bullet) did massive internal damage has commented on the first animal they saw opened up after being shot with a VLD or MatchKing or Scenar. And the universal comment was something like "OMG."

I don't think there's a bullet out there that can consistently do as much internal damage as the VLD.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yet another blasphemer.

The scientific method sure sucks if you're a true believer... wink

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"target" bullets like Berger VLD's

Are not what most folks think of when they think of cup and core bullets. How about if we add in bullets like Accubonds or Game Kings?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here's a 150g AccuBond exit for you. Nephew's first antelope, shot with a .30-06.

[Linked Image]

[Edited to add...]

Here's what the AccuBond did to the ribs:

[Linked Image]

That kind of damage might be acceptable for larger game but IMO it is needlessly excessive for antelope.

Son-in-law shot one head-on using a .30-06/168g A-MAX. It raked the strap on the left side, destroying much of the strap and left ham.

And here is one of mine from the same year, 2010, taken with a .257 Roberts and a 110g AccuBond. Less damage but not my much.

[Linked Image]

I think I'll stick to the TTSX for antelope. They seem to drop just as fast, or so close we haven't noticed any difference, with most going straight down.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/29/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting that you're judging meat damage with bullets placed right through the middle of a bunch of meat and bone.

Have generally found that an expanding bullet placed through the shoulders and spine of an animal weighing approximately 100 pounds results in a bunch of meat damage. And that includes plenty of antelope taken with all sorts of bullets, including TTSX's.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've only shot a couple dozen animals with monos (coyotes, whitetail, elk) at ranges from 110-725 yards, but have shot many more with soft points, Power Points, match bullets (SMKs, Hornady AMAX, etc.), NBT, etc... The longest recovery I've ever had or known of within my group of hunting partners was on a 90lb whitetail doe shot with a 308/168SMK. When I finally found her 200 yards away from impact location, her remaining organs were hanging outside of her chest/body through a 6" diameter hole. Truly bizarre.

I've been extremely pleased with the killing ability of TTSX and LRX bullets including the 308/150, 300WSM/168, and 260/127. That said, I'd agree that deer, for example, will often make it a half-dozen steps from the impact site before going down. The 300WSM/168 TTSX is a really "hard" combo, especially on small whitetail. Most of the deer I've shot with that combo (half dozen) have died within feet of impact location. One small doe made it about 35 yards to the edge of the woods and then slid down a ravine a bit further, though. She was my longest recovery with a monometal.

All that said, the 7mm-08 with a 120 NBT is like having the hand of the Almighty crush a deer in an instant, though. Never had any of the many I shot with that combo make it more than a body length. Truly spectacular. However... I never had a single one exit. We're talking 120lb broadside whitetail here. I'll gladly take a 10-20 yard recovery from a monometal instead of a 3-yard "recovery" from an NBT due to the insurance the mono gives me from the ability to penetrate at any angle. Nothing wrong with either bullet, but I can't find the downside to Barnes (etc.) so far.

RLTW
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I know one thing for for certain when using monos. They simply do not kill as fast as lead and copper slugs and by a wide margin.

HORSESHIT. The TTSX is arguably the bullet of choice on safaris nowadays. Safaris, you know where lost or wounded trophies can cost you a bundle. If you like cup and core bullets, that's great, only don't try to tell the rest of us, some with a bit of experience on nonsensical blanket statements like that.

Jorge, I will bet you ten bucks I have shot more critters with mono metals than you have.
I stand by my statement.

Last edited by BWalker; 04/30/16.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And to the top one more time...

I didn't need John to tell me the below is true, as I've seen it many times myself. But I think John's seen more game shot with mono's them than me, and I know he's a keen and fair observer, so I put more weight in his observations than those with a predisposition towards "belief."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would present that illustrating a 7mm 140 grain bullet on large game a more direct comparison to a 165 grain 308 diameter bullet. They will have similar sectional densities. A 125 grain 7mm would be closer to a 150 grain 308. I don't think 125 grain is offered.

Last edited by Angus1895; 05/01/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.