Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I need some expert judgment about whether this Product is junk or not. Honestly I am not familiar with he AR at all and have always dealt with and built Sporting Rifles. But now I am thinking about getting one put together before they possibly become a thing of the past.

I have the skills and tools needed and looking to do an 80% Lower like this one. I would appreciate all the knowledge I can get on this.

This one Junk? or acceptable? Anything better out there?

http://www.chkadels.com/AR15-Lower-Receiver-And-Jig-Kit-80-Percent-33484

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a polymer lower.

Is that what you want compared to the aluminum offerings?

Before you ask which is better, I'll ask what your intended use will be, and what your worst case use will be.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RWE
That is a polymer lower.

Is that what you want compared to the aluminum offerings?

Before you ask which is better, I'll ask what your intended use will be, and what your worst case use will be.

Just general Self defense or Coyote situations within a couple hundred yards. One of the Bolt actions will come out if I truly need long range accuracy. But I wouldn't want it to break into pieces if I dropped it either. smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
with lowers around 50 bucks.... I'd never waste the time to mill one unless I just wanted to.

Poly one my BIL bought a completed lower, stock and all, for 100 bucks plus tax and shipping last week...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by rost495
with lowers around 50 bucks.... I'd never waste the time to mill one unless I just wanted to.

Poly one my BIL bought a completed lower, stock and all, for 100 bucks plus tax and shipping last week...

You are right...this would be the way to go. I no longer hold an FFL and was just curious about the option to step around the dealer? smile

With the stigma that comes along with the term "AR" the less records the better considering the possibility of future legal actions they might pull against AR's.

Know what I mean?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 04/28/16.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Records mean nothing really.

They know how has guns. Who had guns. thats common knowledge. YOu are on a data base simply because you come on this forum or other shooting ones.

I could care less if my gun is papered or not. They will come after me and my wife.

And at that point, it really only takes a win to own all they had at that point and move on. Its going to be very ugly and bloody when they decide to come get them here.

Whether you paper em or not.

My BIL thinks that way though, never buy a gun with a 4473.... yet he blasts stuff weekly, is on the internet, and is locally known to be a big gun guy... yeah they ain't going to come check on him right...

AND if you have a non papered, but still illegal at that time in the future, gun, what are you going to do with it then? You can't take it out and shoot it or use it...It simply has to sit and wait for the bloodbath, and as noted once that starts I can use a 22lr single shot and pop the first idiot in the head and obtain all that idiot has then...

Food and water and shelter will end up being much more important, but I know you agree on that part.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Records mean nothing really.

They know how has guns. Who had guns. thats common knowledge. YOu are on a data base simply because you come on this forum or other shooting ones.

I could care less if my gun is papered or not. They will come after me and my wife.

And at that point, it really only takes a win to own all they had at that point and move on. Its going to be very ugly and bloody when they decide to come get them here.

Whether you paper em or not.

My BIL thinks that way though, never buy a gun with a 4473.... yet he blasts stuff weekly, is on the internet, and is locally known to be a big gun guy... yeah they ain't going to come check on him right...

AND if you have a non papered, but still illegal at that time in the future, gun, what are you going to do with it then? You can't take it out and shoot it or use it...It simply has to sit and wait for the bloodbath, and as noted once that starts I can use a 22lr single shot and pop the first idiot in the head and obtain all that idiot has then...

Food and water and shelter will end up being much more important, but I know you agree on that part.

I understand. But I was thinking at least it would be one not in any transfer records. I agree with you about the reality of the true situation if the SHTF. That was the whole concept behind the FP 45 "Liberator" Pistol package. Dropped with one Round intended only to acquire better things. smile

Been telling Ammo Hoarders this for years. It wouldn't happen overnight and what happens when your Unique or Obsolete rounds run out? Going to have to do the inevitable anyways.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
actually the liberator came wiht like 4 rounds IIRC, but the point was you only need to do things off radar and a little bit here and there to move forward.

I"m not at all convinced that having anything off paper means a damn thing these days.

Even if you have... but they catch you somehow...

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
One thought about some of the 80% lowers out there right now - if you're going to do one (in aluminum), at least get something that's already hard anodized. You give up a lot of wear resistance with the bare aluminum lowers. Even with an anodized 80%, the trigger pins still wear against bare aluminum, but at least everything else is protected.

Polymer is a different story of course.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
One thought about some of the 80% lowers out there right now - if you're going to do one (in aluminum), at least get something that's already hard anodized. You give up a lot of wear resistance with the bare aluminum lowers. Even with an anodized 80%, the trigger pins still wear against bare aluminum, but at least everything else is protected.

Polymer is a different story of course.

Much appreciate the straight forward tech advice you share here...

So would Polymer be better in this case? or not a wise option to consider at all?

Thank you.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I wouldn't screw with either of them.

I'd only consider AL if I could get it hard coat anodized. The pin holes are the most important part to get anodized. Nothing else really wears. You can ceracoat all that.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've GOT to find a place to hardcoat anodize some white lowers I have when I got screwed on a bulk lower buy.....

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BarryC
Personally, I wouldn't screw with either of them.

I'd only consider AL if I could get it hard coat anodized. The pin holes are the most important part to get anodized. Nothing else really wears. You can ceracoat all that.

Thank you for the blunt truth! Like Rost implied...it just isn't worth messing with.

The idea is now gone...

I am now getting the picture that all that stands between a working AR and a piece of junk is a layer of anodization?

Chevy tried this with the Vega. They produced an aluminum block with anodized Cylinders and expected it to last...Huge failure.

So unless there are Iron lowers available, an AR is no longer a target my sites. smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL, I"ve got more rounds through a cheap AR lower than most folks will shoot in 2 lifetimes.

Last I tried to do a check as to how many barrels I'd put on, at least 2-3 of our lowers have got to have 100K give or take through each one...

There were SS lowers around years ago. I have not looked, there is no need for them...

You will die long before you wear out the anodizing on the pin holes on a 50 buck lower...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Plus for 50 bucks, its well cheap enough if you are anal, to have anotehr lower or 10 stashed...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
LOL, I"ve got more rounds through a cheap AR lower than most folks will shoot in 2 lifetimes.

Last I tried to do a check as to how many barrels I'd put on, at least 2-3 of our lowers have got to have 100K give or take through each one...

There were SS lowers around years ago. I have not looked, there is no need for them...

You will die long before you wear out the anodizing on the pin holes on a 50 buck lower...

I understand, and I get it smile

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bare lower, no anodizing? Eh, when done have it Cerakoted.

For 60 bucks completed these days, wouldn't mess with an 80%.
Some 80% lowers are of older design, saw one that wasn't as reinforced at the front pin to magwell.

Done on a mill, everything lined up perfect and it ran like a pickle seeder.

Kills me, how so many want an 80% and buy them off the web, with a credit card (or get the rest of the parts that way).

Last edited by hookeye; 04/30/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Wanna project? Go for an 80% if one wants.
Satisfaction, learning experience.......price might be worth it.

Am not an AR guy really, even though I've had one or two hanging around for the last 20 yrs.

Useful, but I don't cop a wood over 'em.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There are a couple outfits that make 80% lowers locally, and they take cash. You can also buy the 80% anodized Andersons. Each go for about $60.00 or 3 dollars less then a serialized Anderson after transfer fee. Since the background fee is per purchase, and not per lower, if you pick up two or more, right now, the serialized are actually cheaper.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, you just have to decide what works best for you needs.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/30/16.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
There are a couple outfits that make 80% lowers locally, and they take cash. You can also buy the 80% anodized Andersons. Each go for about $60.00 or 3 dollars less then a serialized Anderson after transfer fee. Since the background fee is per purchase, and not per lower, if you pick up two or more, right now, the serialized are actually cheaper.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, you just have to decide what works best for you needs.

I really appreciate the positive reply smile The idea has been coaxed out of me. Looking at AK plates now...lol

Just joking smile If I do get one I will just go above the radar and get a good quality lower.

As far as under the radar goes...Great Granddad was good to me, but they didn't make AR's back then. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (338reddog, 2UP, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 19 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.