24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A rifle I recently picked up has some small rust spots on the barrel. I tried soaking well with Kroil (laid soaked gun patches over the spots for 3 days and then rubbed with the patches. No success.) I don't see #0000 bronze wool anymore, but did find some online labeled "fine"' which the vendors states is like #0 or 00 steel wool.

Is there #0000 bronze wool available anywhere that anyone knows of? If not, will "fine" bronze wool work without hurting the bluing?

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
One way to find out. Try rubbing a spot hidden by the stock.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used 0000 steel with plenty of success.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spray liberally with Rem-Oil and rub with 0000 steel wool. I have removed a fair amount of rust from several rifles and shotguns belonging to family and friends without affecting the bluing too much--if at all.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Google the Gun Garage and kook for their rust remover pad. It looks like a scrubber women use to use on the pots and pans. It's really a great product and when used as directed will not remove the blue. powdr

*Just looked it up and it's called the Big 45 Gun Metal Cleaner.

Last edited by powdr; 04/21/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Go to your local hardware store and find some Chore Boy 100% copper scouring pads. Use the pad lubed with Kroil. The copper will never harm the bluing. Just make sure to keep it flushed of any rust bits, though it doesn't sound like you have enough rust for that to be a problem (those rust bits CAN mark the bluing).

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Brownell's carries bronze wool. Midway probably has it as well. Marine/boat supply stores usually have it.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Use a spent brass case to gently scrape it away after your Kroil soak. A rimfire case is nice and thin and works good for this. You'll likely have to cold blue the spot.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had good luck using Kroil and a all copper (pre-1982) penny if the rust is in small spots and not diffuse freckles.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
A rifle I recently picked up has some small rust spots on the barrel. I tried soaking well with Kroil (laid soaked gun patches over the spots for 3 days and then rubbed with the patches. No success.) I don't see #0000 bronze wool anymore, but did find some online labeled "fine"' which the vendors states is like #0 or 00 steel wool.

Is there #0000 bronze wool available anywhere that anyone knows of? If not, will "fine" bronze wool work without hurting the bluing?

So when steel wool doesn't work, you have to get more aggressive, but understand you're going to have a sliver spot when you're done unless you cover it with cold blue.

Put a few drops of oil on the affected spot. Now take an X-Acto knife and just lightly poke at the affected area a couple hundred times in a sewing machine type action. It will break up the rust and the oil will replace it or wash it away. When done, if you've done it all right, all the rust will be gone, but you'll have a silver spot. Just come back with some alcohol to de-grease, then cold blue.

Pitting that bad will never disappear, you have to know that going in.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by mudhen
I spray liberally with Rem-Oil and rub with 0000 steel wool. I have removed a fair amount of rust from several rifles and shotguns belonging to family and friends without affecting the bluing too much--if at all.

This. Personally I use WD-40 with 0000 steel wool for rust removal; I think the solvent properties are better for the task, but most any light oil will get the job done.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
DON'T use anything but a BIG 45 pad, google it, $6.oo free shipping, best damn thing you can use to remove rust w/o removing ANY bluing, follow the directions( little oil & light scrub)......... buntingmiester

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buntingmiester
DON'T use anything but a BIG 45 pad, google it, $6.oo free shipping, best damn thing you can use to remove rust w/o removing ANY bluing, follow the directions( little oil & light scrub)......... buntingmiester

This ^^^ or you can go to Wal-Mart and get the Scotch Brite version for $2.00; best thing I've ever used.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I use a pre 1982 penny. lightly rub rust freckles while light dose of http://www.gibbsbrandlubricant.com/ the penny must date before 1982. Amazing results

Can't make this sh%t up
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The last time I asked this question on here, folks recommended Eezox and a Chore Boy pad. It did an amazing job. That was about 2010.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
492 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.