-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think a one piece might have been better. This is a two piece and the front appears kitty wampus. I cannot bore sight a 30mm Burris tube.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I think I'd have to be pretty lost to trust one of those little bent-needle butt compasses. I think I'd dig it out and glue in a buffalo head nickle, so I could call one of my friends on a pay phone when I finally made it out to a road.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old timers I knew carried their compasses in their pockets or pinned them on their suspenders or Malone and Woolrich coats. Most of them only owned one rifle their whole life and spent a months paycheck to have it. They were proud of them and took good care of them.

What would posses somebody to drill a hole in their gun and put a compass in it?

I never have and still don't get it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Livin' large here. I'm with Scott on this one, I think it's cool as all heck.

[Linked Image]

99F in tree hunnert

[Linked Image]

Maybe one day they'll find me froze stiff up against a tree after walking in circles for 14 days in a blizzard clutching this rifle, the whole time staring at that little needle spinning around. there's worse ways to go.

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Got a 94 Win. that has a compass in the stock. I kind of like it. And it does point north, not towards the receiver.

I wouldn't add one to a gun but the mere presence of one wouldn't stop me from buying.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Meh, got a couple of really nice 99T's so I can let this one go. Compass is on the top of the buttstock, so no fix is going to be worth it. It is what it is.

Too bad Les isn't still around. This is just screaming his name. grin

Hey Now, Les is the Only one, I have a Minty T in 250 that has a Compass on Top of the But Stock

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1899sav; 04/28/16.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were taught in the USMC to get 10 or 15 feet (or maybe it was 20) away from our little bitty M-16 to take a compass reading. I think they had less metal in them than a Sav. 99.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hell, I used to read a compass will riding around on an M60 tank. The compass always pointed north. North is north. The compass doesn't care where it is when it's used. wink

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only place I wouldn't use a compass would be in the presence of a lot of electric current, such as standing under a high voltage power line. I just finished building an experiment that puts current through an 1/8" brass rod 6' long (with means to position it anywhere from 2" to 24" off the table top). Then a simple compass is placed underneath it. You would be surprised how the current effects the direction the needle points to.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/28/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to do a lot of field mapping with a Silva Ranger Type 15 compass - frankly the best hand held compass on the market. I had a mapping job up near the crest of the Sierra Nevada that was in a campground with a locked metal gate. Like an idiot I used the gate for a mapping datum and when I got back to the office none of my angles made any sense. The magnetic pull of the gate messed every thing up. Luckily I had more than one day of work at the site and rapidly fixed my measurements up the next morning. Lesson learned, stay away from metal when shooting angles in the field with a magnetic compass.

Last edited by S99VG; 04/28/16.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mean the USMC made a mistake!?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad had a compass mounted in the stock of his Remington 760. The irony is that we hunted in a part of northeast Minnesota that had so much iron ore in the rock you couldn't trust a compass.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1minute, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,562
Posts18,453,732
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.