Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
MD

You may already have run these tests, but I think testing +p loads with low temp sensitive powders would be a very popular read.

Bugger

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
What are .30-06 +P loads?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hopped up handgun cartridges and arms designed for such are often labeled +P. Not heard of a similar designation in rifles.

1Minute
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wonder if he means loads between 60K PSI and 65K PSI?
There have been some discussions on other forums about running pressures up to 65K because the actions would handle it.

Either way, they are over SAAMI pressures...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The 06 is loaded to a lower pressure than 270 and others. The best accuracy I get from my favorite 06 is hotter than what is in manuals. My beat up 721 with Kevlar stock and a screwed in 700 barrel can shoot ~ 1/2" 5 shot groups with a couple powders. Unfortunately the best shooting load is IMR4350 which isn't considered temperature insensitive.
H4831sc and H4895 seem to do fine, but the loads are fairly warm with the H4895.

Last edited by Bugger; 04/30/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My issue is how high a pressure are my loads. I go by how many reloads I get out of a case, and other non-scientific methods. Also, I'd like to see what a professional might consider "+p" or higher than normally listed in manuals but safe in modern bolt actions.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
Hopped up handgun cartridges and arms designed for such are often labeled +P. Not heard of a similar designation in rifles.

257 Roberts +P

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
The 06 is loaded to a lower pressure than 270 and others. The best accuracy I get from my favorite 06 is hotter than what is in manuals. My beat up 721 with Kevlar stock and a screwed in 700 barrel can shoot ~ 1/2" 5 shot groups with a couple powders. Unfortunately the best shooting load is IMR4350 which isn't considered temperature insensitive.
H4831sc and H4895 seem to do fine, but the loads are fairly warm with the H4895.

Will other powders consistently shoot (not can shoot) one moa for five shots? If so, that's quite precise for a sporter weight rifle in a cartridge with nontrivial recoil. Then you have temperature insensitive options.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The limiting factor in pressure isn't the actions (normally) or the barrels. It's the cases. No reason to run pressures that high. Temp sensitive powders don't do a thing when you get dew in your barrel on a foggy morning, or dust on the prairie, or a long case pressing in on the bullet etc etc. When you push the envelope, you're asking for it. If you do it with one of the enclosed face actions, (Rem Weatherby etc.) you'll lock up the action and the hunt is over.
All for what?? another couple hundred FPS? bragging rights at the club about how fast your old Ought-six shoots??

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What's a hot 30-06 load going to kill that a normal will not?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Maybe a PD at 978 yds because the rifle needs to be pushed pass SAAMI to keep bullets flying at 0.25 MOA?

It ain't always about impact energy at 150 yds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My issue is how high a pressure are my loads. I go by how many reloads I get out of a case, and other non-scientific methods. Also, I'd like to see what a professional might consider "+p" or higher than normally listed in manuals but safe in modern bolt actions.

When you go off on your own and exceed published limits for a cartridge, you're playing with fire. Don't expect anyone to go out on a limb to assist you on a fool's errand. "Professionals" behave professionally and responsibly.

If you want or need more power than a cartridge loaded to its proper limits provides, go bigger.

What fresh Hell is this?
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My point is getting the accuracy. Probably more accuracy than needed. I get very good accuracy at the higher pressures. That is why. The 06 case is made the same as the 270 case, so those of you that think this unwarranted why don't you just keep your non- requested unwarranted opinions to your self!

Last edited by Bugger; 04/30/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348

When you go off on your own and exceed published limits for a cartridge, you're playing with fire. Don't expect anyone to go out on a limb to assist you on a fool's errand. "Professionals" behave professionally and responsibly.

If you want or need more power than a cartridge loaded to its proper limits provides, go bigger.

If only Bob Hagel was still alive.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

Maybe a PD at 978 yds because the rifle needs to be pushed pass SAAMI to keep bullets flying at 0.25 MOA?

It ain't always about impact energy at 150 yds.

Hot 30-06 "prairie dog loads"? Have fun!

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Your opinions are like your ass-holes. You have them true but they stink and I for one don't want to smell it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rock on, Smarty Pants!

I'm amazed that someone as briiliant as you are felt the need to ask others for advice.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/30/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by carbon12
If only Bob Hagel was still alive.

I have his book. Some of his loads were indeed on the warmish side.

Found it in a used book store 10-15 years ago for 2-3 bucks. Nice read.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I'm NOT a gun writer so.....

Why should the 06 be 'limited' to 50,000 CUP in "modern" firearms when 243s, 308s, 270s, etc are NOT in the same "modern" firearms? ?

What's UNSAFE about shooting 60,000 psi in MODERN firearms regardless of the cartridge? I realize most of us don't have pressure testing equipment .....

As Mule Deer has said, we can use a chronograph and load to velocity levels appropriate to the cartridge.

A Hot P D load ? funny!

Higher velocity/pressure will flatten trajectory and make longer shots easier. Higher fpe is not needed nor the goal.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I like fast...it makes life much easier. A very handy byproduct of speed is that I typically find much better accuracy the harder you lean on a load. Brass is a consumable, so if I rag the primer pockets out in three or four loads, its just the cost of doing business.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.